Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2021 3:31:04 AM EDT
so just was wondering previously weather you could do that swap. An in my search I found a thread on here where everyone was making fun of the guy and basically saying he was an idiot. And saying oh if it worked the accuracy would be atrocious and you may as well chuck ammo down range  and omg you may even get some tumbling!! ?? and I literally had to make an account just to inform everyone on here that you can do it very successfully with just a small modification to the part that slides down into the barrel otherwise it will be like 1/3rd of an inch from seating flushly. It was so little of a modification that it may have even just been from manufacturing tolerances on both sides.

Anyways I even took a vid of it if you don't believe me. Buf from atleasf 25 years more like 30 I was able to consistently hit watermelons and a little milk sized jug of water. And ontop of that, I don't even have so much as iron sights on my  AR right now ?? and this wasn't any type of fluke or ect. I've shot a good 500rds of .22lr through it with not so much as a single malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you do this all from your porch there Elmer?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Wonder what he’s smoking…
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
And how's the barrel's accuracy, after having hundreds of 22lr rounds bouncing around, inside the bore?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder what he’s smoking…
View Quote

OP's screen name offers a clue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
They let you play with guns in Ca?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP's screen name offers a clue.
View Quote

Join date, post count to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
A barrel liner would do it.

Hmm 300BLK barrel..25 to 30 years ago.  OP probably ment 25 to 30 yards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Buddy of mine has a single shot 12 gauge with an chamber insert set for shooting smaller calibers like .44mag or .45 Colt long.

He sticks to cast bullet reloads he makes, but his .45 Colt longs are reasonably accurate out to 10 yards.

Hey, if it’s working for the OP, good for you. I’ve seen some pretty horrendous groups thru 5.56 barrels. And if it gets you out shooting instead of staying home crying about the cost of ammo, go for it.

OP may have just found a cure for lead fouling.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so just was wondering previously weather you could do that swap. An in my search I found a thread on here where everyone was making fun of the guy and basically saying he was an idiot. And saying oh if it worked the accuracy would be atrocious and you may as well chuck ammo down range  and omg you may even get some tumbling!! ?? and I literally had to make an account just to inform everyone on here that you can do it very successfully with just a small modification to the part that slides down into the barrel otherwise it will be like 1/3rd of an inch from seating flushly. It was so little of a modification that it may have even just been from manufacturing tolerances on both sides.

Anyways I even took a vid of it if you don't believe me. Buf from atleasf 25 years more like 30 I was able to consistently hit watermelons and a little milk sized jug of water. And ontop of that, I don't even have so much as iron sights on my  AR right now ?? and this wasn't any type of fluke or ect. I've shot a good 500rds of .22lr through it with not so much as a single malfunction.
View Quote

So you are essentially shooting 22LR through a 1" smooth bore barrel?  How about you put an optic on that piece and shoot a group at 25 yards and then come back and brag on your success......

Just d'oh!
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, so I'll state that "yeah, it could be done".  Not only that, but I'm betting that accuracy could certainly be improved....

Just like the original and repro 22 conversions for the FN-FAL, the chamber adapter bit needs to have a (full or almost full length) barrel liner of appropriate OD installed on it.

The "better accuracy" part will come from three things - a proper 1/16" twist rate, a proper .221 or whatever bore diameter (it ain't .224!), and since you are attaching the liner to the chamber adapter you can mod the chamber adapter so that the bullet is chambered it actually ends up at the rifling instead of having a big empty space to fly through before engaging the rifling.

In fact, I'd bet someone with the tools and skills could start with a dedicated barrel collar and an empty 223 case for reference and make their own.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK, so I'll state that "yeah, it could be done".  Not only that, but I'm betting that accuracy could certainly be improved....

Just like the original and repro 22 conversions for the FN-FAL, the chamber adapter bit needs to have a (full or almost full length) barrel liner of appropriate OD installed on it.

The "better accuracy" part will come from three things - a proper 1/16" twist rate, a proper .221 or whatever bore diameter (it ain't .224!), and since you are attaching the liner to the chamber adapter you can mod the chamber adapter so that the bullet is chambered it actually ends up at the rifling instead of having a big empty space to fly through before engaging the rifling.

In fact, I'd bet someone with the tools and skills could start with a dedicated barrel collar and an empty 223 case for reference and make their own.....
View Quote

Trouble might be, a 22 cal liner in a 30 cal bore only leaves around .040" + or - for the wall thickness.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The 22lr conversion for the H&K 91/G3 use a liner. It's thin but it works.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
It only works in California.

Rated Troll
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Trouble might be, a 22 cal liner in a 30 cal bore only leaves around .040" + or - for the wall thickness.
View Quote

Except that wall is also supported on the outside by the regular barrel.

It works fine for the FAL and HK conversions... no reason it shouldn't work fine on an AR
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It works fine for the FAL and HK conversions... no reason it shouldn't work fine on an AR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes a barrel liner would definitely work well. But I don't think the OP is using a liner of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Would love a conversion kit or barrel liner.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top