Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2022 3:26:03 PM EDT
Opinions on cloud defensive rein 1.0 vs 2.0 seems that the warmer light from the 1.0 may be more favorable for indoor shooting. Or for situations with other light sources.  Any real reason to go with 2.0 ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 of the Rein 1.0. I highly recommend the 1.0 and I believe it is more durable with its tool steel bezel ring. The 2.0 has a smaller head and is lighter. You really can’t go wrong with either Gen light! I also have an OWL but I much prefer the Rein with their remote light switch.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I got one of the 2.0s when they first came out, and returned it as soon as they sent me the return shipping info. While it definitely looks brighter due to the cooler light, I find myself being able to use the 1.0s warmer beam better. Much easier to tell between a antelope or a deer at 150 yards with the warmer tint than colder tint.

Flood was about the same, the size and weight decrease wasn't worth it to me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven’t shot with either of my CD lights indoors but I have run around my house clearing rooms and larp. I haven’t had any issues with either for that. Could it change if I wake from a deep sleep to a bump in the night, maybe.

Are you running a suppressor or any large muzzle device?

The 1.0 has a larger head and because of that it has taller mounting lugs to account for the stand-off from the rifle.

The 2.0 has a slimmer head and has shorter stand-off legs. This allows it to fit tighter to the rifle.

Both are very usable regardless of suppressor use but you might have to buy a larger offset mount such as the Trex Arms light bar or similar.

I prefer the 2.0 switch over the 1.0 but that’s personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 1.0, 2.0, and a handheld.

The HC (high candela) head on the 2.0 resembles a modlite in regards to color and spill.

The EDC head (from the handheld) resembles the rein 1.0 color/spill.

The 2.0 with HC head lives on a long(er) distance rifle and the 1.0 lives on 300blk shorty

Worth noting that heads are interchangeable AND will be available for stand alone purchase, hopefully soon
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the 2.0 better. Tighter throw and lighter weight
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I used my Rein Micro and Full Size 1.0 in a low light carbine class. It was at a range where they had some secondary lighting set up such as car lights and incandescent lighting all around the range to imitate street lights! There was some traffic on the dirt roads behind us with the dust drifting into our shooting area. The guys with Mod Lights and SF lights with the super cool light temp struggled a little seeing longer targets. The warmer temperatures of my Rein and a couple guys with their OWLS could see better and the light was more usable in that environment. The warmer light seemed to cut through the dust in the air and the secondary lighting. It appeared that way to me and the majority of the people in the class.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used my Rein Micro and Full Size 1.0 in a low light carbine class. It was at a range where they had some secondary lighting set up such as car lights and incandescent lighting all around the range to imitate street lights! There was some traffic on the dirt roads behind us with the dust drifting into our shooting area. The guys with Mod Lights and SF lights with the super cool light temp struggled a little seeing longer targets. The warmer temperatures of my Rein and a couple guys with their OWLS could see better and the light was more usable in that environment. The warmer light seemed to cut through the dust in the air and the secondary lighting. It appeared that way to me and the majority of the people in the class.
View Quote

I've done lowlights before, I have never seen the Rein or the Owl outperform the Modlite OKW or PLHv2. The Modlites present with their superior throw and spill were outperforming the CD's being used. Meanwhile the CD's were still way better than the Surefires there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the 2.0 better. Tighter throw and lighter weight
View Quote

Sounds like I should try to trade a 1.0 for a 2.0 then.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've done lowlights before, I have never seen the Rein or the Owl outperform the Modlite OKW or PLHv2. The Modlites present with their superior throw and spill were outperforming the CD's being used. Meanwhile the CD's were still way better than the Surefires there.
View Quote

This is just my opinion and the opinion of the majority of the people in the class I attended! The Rein was clearly the dominant light on the range in the conditions I described! I have an open mind about what I use and what works best for me! I’m glad you like your setup and it must work best for you! I wish I had video of our class that night because the Cloud Defensive Rein was King!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is just my opinion and the opinion of the majority of the people in the class I attended! The Rein was clearly the dominant light on the range in the conditions I described! I have an open mind about what I use and what works best for me! I’m glad you like your setup and it must work best for you! I wish I had video of our class that night because the Cloud Defensive Rein was King!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have come to find that the opinions on the internet are like fishing stories! Trust but verify! I verified! The Rein was not the dominant light at all at the conditions I described too! I too keep an open mind about what I use and what works best for me and when I see something that doesn't add up, I raise the flag! I too am glad you have something that you like for yourself as well! And I can guarantee that I too wish I had a camera to record what I saw, because the CD Rein was not a king at all!!!

Can we lose the overzealous use of the exclamation points now and talk like adults? Thanks.

Some people prefer warm lighting. Others prefer cooler lights. If you prefer warmer lights, then enjoy. But what I see in warmer lights is dull and with a darker spill, meaning the Cloud Rein has no crown to wear because it's not preferred and IMO a step backwards in weapon light technology to me because the 200 yard targets the Modlites were illuminating was no mistaking which ones were shoots and which were no shoots. The CD's there in either Rein or Owls made it very hard for my eyes to distinguish between the two. The cooler Modlites to my eyes gives brightness and a superior throw that illuminates everything in it's path meaning there is no question what's there and what shouldn't be. YMMV, but this is proof that your story doesn't match up to what I experienced.

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have come to find that the opinions on the internet are like fishing stories! Trust but verify! I verified! The Rein was not the dominant light at all at the conditions I described too! I too keep an open mind about what I use and what works best for me and when I see something that doesn't add up, I raise the flag! I too am glad you have something that you like for yourself as well! And I can guarantee that I too wish I had a camera to record what I saw, because the CD Rein was not a king at all!!!

Can we lose the overzealous use of the exclamation points now and talk like adults? Thanks.

Some people prefer warm lighting. Others prefer cooler lights. If you prefer warmer lights, then enjoy. But what I see in warmer lights is dull and with a darker spill, meaning the Cloud Rein has no crown to wear because it's not preferred and IMO a step backwards in weapon light technology to me because the 200 yard targets the Modlites were illuminating was no mistaking which ones were shoots and which were no shoots. The CD's there in either Rein or Owls made it very hard for my eyes to distinguish between the two. The cooler Modlites to my eyes gives brightness and a superior throw that illuminates everything in it's path meaning there is no question what's there and what shouldn't be. YMMV, but this is proof that your story doesn't match up to what I experienced.

View Quote

I didn’t know you were present in my class! My experience is in a real world environment where there was a lot of debris in the air and secondary light. I’m not a fan boy of any brand but it’s ok if you are! More power to you! I have 20/10 vision in both eyes and I saw which light worked better in the condition we were shooting in. I don’t dispute that the mod light is a good light! Your fishing story is yours and my experience is that the Rein is indeed superior in the conditions I was in! Period! That opinion was shared by others in the class! You are clearly not open minded and are dug in on one brand of light! Use what works for you! I’ll use what works for me! I to verify!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn’t know you were present in my class! My experience is in a real world environment where there was a lot of debris in the air and secondary light. I’m not a fan boy of any brand but it’s ok if you are! More power to you! I have 20/10 vision in both eyes and I saw which light worked better in the condition we were shooting in. I don’t dispute that the mod light is a good light! Your fishing story is yours and my experience is that the Rein is indeed superior in the conditions I was in! Period! That opinion was shared by others in the class! You are clearly not open minded and are dug in on one brand of light! Use what works for you! I’ll use what works for me! I to verify!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again with the overzealous use of exclamation points! You do know that they don't make your arguments sound any better or at least I'd like to think that you know that by now! My experience also comes a real world environment called the Arizona desert! I'm not a fan boy of any brand either but it's okay if you are and it very much shows! I'm more of a fan of what works for me and what doesn't! You saw what works for you, however you didn't see what works for me or the others that was with me. Your tall fishing tale is your own just as much and my own experiences is that the Rein is not superior in the conditions that windy night that I was in! Period to infinity! I'm sure it was "shared" just like all other fishing stories! You are clearly narrow minded and are dug in to the fact that your narrative world view on what I consider to be of value and what isn't is clouding your judgement in this matter! If you had any actual insight at all, you would come to easily know that I value form over function and own enough from different brands to have formed an experienced opinion based on running my kit instead of being a fan boy like you! Of course I will use what works for me! I should hope that you would use what's best you! But don't try to tell me that you CD is the best because it is at best subjectively best for the person who prefers warmer lights over cooler lights that others prefer, meaning personal opinions are still not absolutes and that there is no king between the two!!!

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Again with the overzealous use of exclamation points! You do know that they don't make your arguments sound any better or at least I'd like to think that you know that by now! My experience also comes a real world environment called the Arizona desert! I'm not a fan boy of any brand either but it's okay if you are and it very much shows! I'm more of a fan of what works for me and what doesn't! You saw what works for you, however you didn't see what works for me or the others that was with me. Your tall fishing tale is your own just as much and my own experiences is that the Rein is not superior in the conditions that windy night that I was in! Period to infinity! I'm sure it was "shared" just like all other fishing stories! You are clearly narrow minded and are dug in to the fact that your narrative world view on what I consider to be of value and what isn't is clouding your judgement in this matter! If you had any actual insight at all, you would come to easily know that I value form over function and own enough from different brands to have formed an experienced opinion based on running my kit instead of being a fan boy like you! Of course I will use what works for me! I should hope that you would use what's best you! But don't try to tell me that you CD is the best because it is at best subjectively best for the person who prefers warmer lights over cooler lights that others prefer, meaning personal opinions are still not absolutes and that there is no king between the two!!!

View Quote

You are too funny! You keep saying what I’m saying to you. Don’t you have your own reasons? Your fishing story grows as you tell it! Now you’re out in the Arizona desert with your internet commando kit! That’s too funny! I never claimed CD was the best light! I said and still stand by my statement that my Rein was better than the mod light in heavy dust and secondary lighting. The only person who didn’t agree was the guy who owned the mod light and he said it was a toss up! You cir are narrow minded like the pattern from you mod light! Your mod light may have slightly more throw and be a tad bit cooler color temperature but there’s way more that makes the Rein a better light than a kit light like the mod light!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Az Rifleman I can’t wait for you to bust out your Navy Seal stories about how your mod light saved the lives of your entire team! Lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are too funny! You keep saying what I’m saying to you. Don’t you have your own reasons? Your fishing story grows as you tell it! Now you’re out in the Arizona desert with your internet commando kit! That’s too funny! I never claimed CD was the best light! I said and still stand by my statement that my Rein was better than the mod light in heavy dust and secondary lighting. The only person who didn’t agree was the guy who owned the mod light and he said it was a toss up! You cir are narrow minded like the pattern from you mod light! Your mod light may have slightly more throw and be a tad bit cooler color temperature but there’s way more that makes the Rein a better light than a kit light like the mod light!
View Quote

You're too funny too! Youi keep rinse and repeating that you know best and can't give a coherent argument without being overzealous with your use of quotation marks, which is the internet version of yelling! So if you don't like it, then don't yell at me so I won't have to yell back at you! You accuse me of using your own words yet you keep using my own words when concocting your own fishing stories! Imagine that! I always was here in AZ, look at my location, the two do match up! And I too stand by my statement that the Modlites don't get defeated on any night unless it's the person who prefers warmer lights and that's you! I never said anything about your commando navy seal larping kit fantasies at all, yet accuse me of doing what you were doing, too funny x2! You can tell me all night long and I still won't believe you because I know what I've seen too! Funny, you accused me of using your words but again are using mine when I called you narrow minded! Form your own arguments instead of using mine and then trying to accuse me of what you're doing! If it's better to me, that means it's better than the Rein! Meaning we both like different things meaning there's still no king and the Rein isn't better than, just best at warmer lights! But I can't use a warmer light so this means that the Rein isn't an absolute king of anything!

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Az Rifleman I can’t wait for you to bust out your Navy Seal stories about how your mod light saved the lives of your entire team! Lol
View Quote

And here I am waiting for gunner-g to bust out even more navy seal recon delta stories about how your rein saved us all! LMAO

Give it a rest already and please stop yelling at me, please stop making up stories about the both of us, and just admit that the Rein is great for those who appreciate warmer lights and wouldn't work out for those who prefer cooler lights.

I own Surefires, Streamlights, Insights, Modlites, and Cloud Defensive lights. I've seen enough, had enough demonstrated, and experienced enough to know which is better for me and which is not. You may believe that the Rein beats everything else but just because you think so over a personal preference for a warmer light still doesn't overrule anyone who prefers a cooler light. Why not accept that there's at least great options instead of trying to act like one is above the other?

Absolutes belong in the trash. use what you prefer and like. Had you said from an impartial POV that didn't slander one falsely while raising another to a pedestal that was the complete opposite of what I had experienced, I wouldn't have responded do to my BS catching such nonsense.

But I get it, you spent a lot of money, you really want to believe that your emotional investment is the best. We all do. Yet life isn't fair and we all don't like the same things. Some prefer even lesser light than even both can produce. You could have said that the Rein was the best of the warm lights, and I'd have agreed. But that fishing story about the Modlite being hot garbage when this is l-o-l false was totally uncalled for and very unprofessional. Something for you to think about the next time, please.

Anyways this has gone on long enough and this matter has been settled as far as I am concerned, meaning I will feed you no more in this thread
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're too funny too! Youi keep rinse and repeating that you know best and can't give a coherent argument without being overzealous with your use of quotation marks, which is the internet version of yelling! So if you don't like it, then don't yell at me so I won't have to yell back at you! You accuse me of using your own words yet you keep using my own words when concocting your own fishing stories! Imagine that! I always was here in AZ, look at my location, the two do match up! And I too stand by my statement that the Modlites don't get defeated on any night unless it's the person who prefers warmer lights and that's you! I never said anything about your commando navy seal larping kit fantasies at all, yet accuse me of doing what you were doing, too funny x2! You can tell me all night long and I still won't believe you because I know what I've seen too! Funny, you accused me of using your words but again are using mine when I called you narrow minded! Form your own arguments instead of using mine and then trying to accuse me of what you're doing! If it's better to me, that means it's better than the Rein! Meaning we both like different things meaning there's still no king and the Rein isn't better than, just best at warmer lights! But I can't use a warmer light so this means that the Rein isn't an absolute king of anything!

View Quote

I still stand by my statement that the Rein was indeed better than the mod light in that situation that night! It was agreed upon by many in the class. You may not like it but that’s the way it is! You were not there so you cannot make a call on this and therefore you opinion is mute concerning which light was better! Plain and simple! You can go pound some of that Arizona sand! I’m done with this convo mod light fan boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to hear more about how the two compare with less psychoanalytical, Richard measuring, diatribe that seems to accompany some people every.damn.thread.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And here I am waiting for gunner-g to bust out even more navy seal recon delta stories about how your rein saved us all! LMAO

Give it a rest already and please stop yelling at me, please stop making up stories about the both of us, and just admit that the Rein is great for those who appreciate warmer lights and wouldn't work out for those who prefer cooler lights.

I own Surefires, Streamlights, Insights, Modlites, and Cloud Defensive lights. I've seen enough, had enough demonstrated, and experienced enough to know which is better for me and which is not. You may believe that the Rein beats everything else but just because you think so over a personal preference for a warmer light still doesn't overrule anyone who prefers a cooler light. Why not accept that there's at least great options instead of trying to act like one is above the other?

Absolutes belong in the trash. use what you prefer and like. Had you said from an impartial POV that didn't slander one falsely while raising another to a pedestal that was the complete opposite of what I had experienced, I wouldn't have responded do to my BS catching such nonsense.

But I get it, you spent a lot of money, you really want to believe that your emotional investment is the best. We all do. Yet life isn't fair and we all don't like the same things. Some prefer even lesser light than even both can produce. You could have said that the Rein was the best of the warm lights, and I'd have agreed. But that fishing story about the Modlite being hot garbage when this is l-o-l false was totally uncalled for and very unprofessional. Something for you to think about the next time, please.

Anyways this has gone on long enough and this matter has been settled as far as I am concerned, meaning I will feed you no more in this thread
View Quote

If not obvious by this psycho babble, you can look to his claims for clarity on his truthfulness. He claims the OKW with half the brightness is brighter just because. No matter what brand you like, it’s pretty obvious who’s telling tall tales here.

Don’t listen to this guy. By his own admission he’s taken one class, as he’s bragged about it relentlessly in his regular wall of text outbursts where the opinions of others hurt his feelings. Depending on what argument he’s started, that class was at dawn, middle of the day, dusk, at night, in piping hot sun, rain, snow, and probably even during a volcanic eruption.  

I’m sorry to the mods but eventually someone needs to slap this guy on his pee pee and tell him to stop lying and stop starting fights. I even have a private message from when he thought me agreeing with him meant I hated someone else, so he sent me a wall of text talking about slicing that persons throat. Dude should have been gone years ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If not obvious by this psycho babble, you can look to his claims for clarity on his truthfulness. He claims the OKW with half the brightness is brighter just because. No matter what brand you like, it’s pretty obvious who’s telling tall tales here.

Don’t listen to this guy. By his own admission he’s taken one class, as he’s bragged about it relentlessly in his regular wall of text outbursts where the opinions of others hurt his feelings. Depending on what argument he’s started, that class was at dawn, middle of the day, dusk, at night, in piping hot sun, rain, snow, and probably even during a volcanic eruption.  

I’m sorry to the mods but eventually someone needs to slap this guy on his pee pee and tell him to stop lying and stop starting fights. I even have a private message from when he thought me agreeing with him meant I hated someone else, so he sent me a wall of text talking about slicing that persons throat. Dude should have been gone years ago.
View Quote

This guy after our back n forth still doesn’t get that im not saying a mod light is a bad light. I’m sure it’s a good light and the one I looked at seemed solid. But he flipped out and I couldn’t give in to him because he wasn’t even there at my class. I train with the equipment I buy to see if it works for me and the Rein worked well. The guy running the mod light liked his light! Nothing wrong with that! I simply give my opinion and this guy went nuts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This guy after our back n forth still doesn’t get that im not saying a mod light is a bad light. I’m sure it’s a good light and the one I looked at seemed solid. But he flipped out and I couldn’t give in to him because he wasn’t even there at my class. I train with the equipment I buy to see if it works for me and the Rein worked well. The guy running the mod light liked his light! Nothing wrong with that! I simply give my opinion and this guy went nuts.
View Quote

Variety is the spice of life, and both have their strengths. If you go back even 5 years any modern Cloud or Modlite is immensely better than what was available at the time. I’m just glad we get to nag each-other over this kind of stuff versus being stuck with 300 lumen lights of yesteryear.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I ran PLHv2's for 2 years, always a struggle to get reliability, but minor issues, likely rare.

Rein 2 is by far my favorite light. The performance is close enough to ML, splitting hairs. The tail cap and switch is second to none. Any company depending on SF caps and/ or aftermarket switches is lazy IMHO. I think ML is working on a tail cap but their switch is still subpar. I do think ML's look the best, and given more time could become king.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Variety is the spice of life, and both have their strengths. If you go back even 5 years any modern Cloud or Modlite is immensely better than what was available at the time. I’m just glad we get to nag each-other over this kind of stuff versus being stuck with 300 lumen lights of yesteryear.
View Quote

I agree that companies like CD and ML have brought lighting technology a long way! Cudos to them and I can’t wait to see what’s next
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:05:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I ran PLHv2's for 2 years, always a struggle to get reliability, but minor issues, likely rare.

Rein 2 is by far my favorite light. The performance is close enough to ML, splitting hairs. The tail cap and switch is second to none. Any company depending on SF caps and/ or aftermarket switches is lazy IMHO. I think ML is working on a tail cap but their switch is still subpar. I do think ML's look the best, and given more time could become king.
View Quote

Competition is healthy and it drives advancement in innovation and technology! These two companies seem to be on the cutting edge and I assume SF will step up its game in the near future! I’ll continue to train with my Rein and run it through the paces. I might look at the Gen 2 Rein also. I will be putting another night class together with the instructor I use and invite some guys And gals I’ve trained with in the past. I’ll keep y’all updated on how my light performs if you’re interested. This will not be a bragging post! It will be an honest review as I may one day have to use this light in a serious situation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Competition is healthy and it drives advancement in innovation and technology! These two companies seem to be on the cutting edge and I assume SF will step up its game in the near future! I’ll continue to train with my Rein and run it through the paces. I might look at the Gen 2 Rein also. I will be putting another night class together with the instructor I use and invite some guys And gals I’ve trained with in the past. I’ll keep y’all updated on how my light performs if you’re interested. This will not be a bragging post! It will be an honest review as I may one day have to use this light in a serious situation.
View Quote

Agreed. SF turbos may be able to compete, if they ever release em, and the pro models with built in swivel mounts are a step in the right direction. I sold off my ML's, went all in with CD Rein 2's. Got 4 of em. Like em so much, I sent 3 of em off for cerakoting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree that companies like CD and ML have brought lighting technology a long way! Cudos to them and I can’t wait to see what’s next
View Quote

Lol
That’s a bold statement cotton. Maybe as far as the American market goes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol
That’s a bold statement cotton. Maybe as far as the American market goes.
View Quote

Sad to say China has been the forefront of lamp development the past decade, as well as batteries. I would say companies like ML and Cloud have refined it especially in regards to heat management and efficiency.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top