Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
Cloud Defensive has been a little coy about their new Rein, teasing it on social media with a few photos

They didn't release much else about it so far teasing the info will release at shot. However those snitches at Optics Planet have loose lips.

This text isn't formatted on Optics website either so, you get it as the lump it is.

Product Info for Cloud Defensive REIN Modular Light, Full Kit
The world needed another traditional weapon light option. So Cloud Defensive went to work. But we refuse to produce a product unless we can offer significant enhancements over what already exists. The REIN- series offers just that. Here are a few of the big concepts that we addressed and integrated. First, we had to address a simple fact: The world wants a mini version of this light in addition to a full size version. And the world also wants a full size version of this light. So our REIN project instantly because two different lights. Designated REIN-3 and REIN-6, we have two lights in the family. REIN-3 is optimal for guys wanting the smallest-possible light or the shortest-possible light while retaining substantial performance. REIN-6 is optimal for the guys demanding maximal performance from the REIN series. Next, we had to address the mount and lack of versatility in the light itself. If a traditional weapon light is basically a retro-fit hand-held light, the weapon-light should be able to serve in both applications. And the mounting system should be simplified in such a way that the user no longer needs to find a 3rd party that makes a mount for the light because other manufacturers dont make mounts for their lights specific to a lot of applications. Our solution to the traditional mount is our patent-pending Integrated Pallet System. The REIN uses a series of pallets that are secured with a jam nut. This allows the REIN to be mounted or removed from the host weapon in a matter of a few seconds. The pallets are retained by that jam nut and can then be easily swapped out. Meaning you can use a weapon-mount pallet and then quickly (a handful of seconds) remove the light from the gun, insert a hand-held pallet and then have a handheld light. It also means that you can change out your light in the field if need be. And it rids the world of the need for dedicated light mounts. After the mount was done, we had to address the need for a field-serviceable lens. In a light designed for hard field use, the reality is that lens will take abuse and they will break. The user can change out his own lens in the field in a matter of seconds without even removing the light from the weapon. Nobody else can do that. It means lens replacement is no longer a warranty issue. Then we had to address the tail cap. It seems simple enough. Except that traditionally you need several different tail caps. That requires knowledge of what you need and expense. We decided to eliminate that by developing a proprietary system that uses one tail cap assembly for both direct-switching (handheld confirguration, et) and remote switching. So REIN uses a very specialized and proprietary electrical system in the tail section of the light that saves complexity and increases durability compared to its competitors. Once the mount and tail cap was addressed, we then moved on to the remote switch. Remote switching is where we got our start as a company. We developed the Light Control System to secure the tape switches made by other companies. But that meant we had to play within their rules with that LCS. Moving forward with REIN, we knew from the first day that we were no longer obligated to play by any rules. So we designed our remote switch and a next-generation Light Control System for it. In a traditional tape switch, there are 3 typical failure points that we had to address. First, the plug that goes into the light itself. The other plugs come straight out the back of the light. That is a high-impact area and one of the biggest failures that occur in lights due to that. So we developed a 90-degree plug that shrouds and protects the wiring from impact while also routes the wiring between the gun and the light. That means there is no exposed wiring that can snag things during normal or even abnormal operation. Secondly, the wire exit position on the remote switch. Historically, tape switches have wiring that exit the switch at the back of the unit. The wiring then routes through our LCS and down to the light. But wiring exiting the back of the switch exposes it to impact at that site and puts undue stress on the wire as well. Since we make everything in-house, we took our remote switch back to the drawing board in every sense of the word. And that means we developed a method that allows us to exit the wire underneath the switch, coming out the bottom and then exiting through the LCS. This means no weak links in the wire and no exposed areas subject to impact. And its physically impossible to inadvertently snag the wire as well. Third, the wire itself. Of the existing solutions on the market, none of them offer mil-spec rated cable that utilizes memory. Its just basically wire that you shape with the LCS. That means increased risk of cable failure under the jacket and and increased risk of snagging objects during motion. We sourced mil-spec rated cable that offers memory. This allows you to move the cable where you need to move it and it does not move once positioned. That brings us to the switch itself. With the community at-large asking for both a momentary and constant-on capability as well as an option for a dual switch that integrates with a laser system, we knew we had to optimize for both those configurations. So we did that. We sourced rubber to over-mold the switching components that is customized for our need. It offers a level of chemical, environmental and heat resistance that others do not. And we built the injection mold infrastructure in-house to make these ourselves. So we can fully control the quality control process. Fifth, the Light Control System. Since we now had the freedom to build our own switch, that means creating a 3rd generation LCS. One built specifically for our switches. The 3rd generation LCS is smaller and lighter than ever before. Its lower profile than ever before. Its more ergonomic. Its easier to install (2 pieces instead of 3). Combined with out tape switch, it sets a new standard for what remote switches should be. Finally, we knew REIN needed to perform at a level that meets end-user demands. And that means it significantly beats its peers. To facilitate that, we utilize custom-made aerospace-grade reflectors and a proprietary electrical system optimized for performance. Our LED in the REIN is about 4000k and the competitors run about 6000K. The higher the number, the whiter/cooler the light. The competitors do that because those whiter and cooler lights appear brighter. But they wash out in the presence of photonic barriers. They dont penetrate things like smoke, fog, humid air, et. Our 4000k LEDs penetrate those things however, allowing the shooter to see the target better. And our reflector allows that light to penetrate further down range than anybody else on the market. So we get the light downrange with the LED/reflector combination while still offering very usable levels of spill allowing for increased situational awareness. And the upgraded power supply makes that possible. In an era where its peers are focused on duel-fuel power supplies (18650 and CR123 compatibility), REIN terminates that concept. We are not interested in utilizing inferior power sources specifically the CR123. An 18650 battery has more energy potential at 50% charge than 2 brand new CR123 primary cells. And when you build an electrical system to accept both those power sources, you lose efficiency and performance. So we decided to change the conversation there and bring the weapon lights into the realm of the best-possible power supplies: Re-chargeable batteries. The REIN-6 uses a single 18650 and the REIN-3 uses a single 18350. They are not compatible with CR123 batteries. In return for that incompatibility, we get a level of performance the others can not attain. And with our direct-drive system, we also give the end-user the ability to tune their lights by choosing which 18650 or 18350 battery they would like to use. Some batteries will give you maximal output. Some will sacrifice a little output and give you maximal run-time. So with REIN, you can now tune your light to the mission profile. And to simplify things for the end-user we supply 2 batteries with each REIN and a professional-grade battery charger as well. Color: Anodized Black
View Quote
Features of Cloud Defensive REIN Modular Light, Full Kit:
The first purpose-built rail-mounted light that gives the user everything they need in a single package with modularity allowing use of the weapon light as a hand-held light as well
Estimated 1400-1500 lumens and about 45,000 Candela with a unique 4000K light temperature that penetrates photonic barriers and is optimal for the physiology of the human eye
With a made in specialized factories electrical system
we invested in the best components money can buy
That gives us output
efficiency and run-time that others don't have
And now you get the best performance money can buy
Patented Pallet System allows for superior mounting to the host platform
And the user can quickly change pallets for different applications (pocket carry
different rails
et)
Field-Serviceable Lens allows the user to change out a damaged or broken lens
in the field in less than 60 seconds
Proprietary integral electrical connections in the tail of the light allows REIN to quickly convert from a remote switch operated light to a handheld or pushbutton light
Proprietary remote switch is executed as tape switches should be
The cable exits underneath the switch and then routes out through a 3rd generation Light Control System
No more snagged cables
The cable used in the remote switch itself is mil-spec and has memory
thus allowing you to place it where you want it and ensuring that it stays there
The remote switch has both momentary and constant-on capability
Included Cloud Defensive/Nitecore D2 Charger with AC adapter and car adapter
two (2) 18650 batteries.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In short what we seem to have is:

1) Proprietary Head Confirmed

2) Proprietary Body and Mounting System CLARIFIED: Body is proprietary, but mounting is industry standard

3) Proprietary Pressure Switch CONFIRMED

4) Designed to be both weapon mounted, and easily converted to handheld mode Incorrect - It is a weapon light only, but handhelds are coming soon
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Will be interesting to see how this compares to the modlites.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will be interesting to see how this compares to the modlites.
View Quote
Since it sounds like the mount is proprietary, if the pressure pad / tail cap also ends up being 100% proprietary then there would be literally 0 reason to get it over a Modlite unless it's far cheaper - or I guess even over the OWL. What is the point of a Scout style light if it won't interface with the plethora of aftermarket mounts, the multiple dual switches on the market, etc?

I guess we'll see next week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The light characteristics certainly look to be desirable. Modlite had apparently once made a special run of 4k PLH heads, but they had a slightly lower output of 1250 lumens and are no longer available.

I'll be waiting to see if the mounts are any good. If not, nothing a 5k PLH can't replace.

Edit: From their instagram:

And yes, they mount to all existing scout-pattern mounts.
View Quote
There is no pallet system. That was our original concept but we ditched it because it added needless complexity and was a potential failure point.
View Quote
The OP info is about 1.5 years old and is mostly inaccurate.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hope the battery situation is not like the OWL.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, info dump!  Thanks for dropping that in here.  I look forward to seeing the official announcement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And yes, they mount to all existing scout-pattern mounts.
View Quote
Oh thank god.

I just checked their Instagram and they teased what appears to be Scout compatible MLOK mounts. So the only thing we're waiting on is to see what is happening with the pressure switch, but from reading the comments it sounds like it's still implying proprietary switches.

I'll update the OP with your information in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:35:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like they are probably staying with unprotected flat top cells.
That’s cool.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
As I recall from the instagram page, the REIN will run on both protected and unprotected cells.

Cloud Defensive claims their pricing will be very competitive with Surefire, and seeing as at least the OWL has been, I do hope they're correct.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As I recall from the instagram page, the REIN will run on both protected and unprotected cells.

Cloud Defensive claims their pricing will be very competitive with Surefire, and seeing as at least the OWL has been, I do hope they're correct.
View Quote
If they can make something that compares well with the surefire df in price but with better throw like the modlights then I will probably be down.

With the SL hlx's problems , sf df being meh and modlights $$$, I was going to get one of new arisaka 600s with the new malkoff head.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
1500 Lumens and 45k candela would be great.

It would be like my Modllite OKW and PLH combined into one light.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
In for a handheld. I was just about to drop the coin on a Modlite. Cloud Defensive claims it will be reasonably priced....
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
They claim the light, switch, mount, LCS, charger should be around $300
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]
As great as the OWL is I'm sure this will be a big win for cloud defensive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
So new information has come out confirming a few things:

The body is confirmed to be industry standard mounting patterns. To accomodate this, CD will be launching a series of industry standard footprint mounts to sell as well. However, it is confirmed the tailcap is going to be proprietary as well as the pressure switch. It won't be using standard Surefire pattern tailcaps.

This places the Rein in a very interesting territory. The purpose of the OWL was it was meant to do one thing, and one thing only - be a great light for people without NVG's. If you wanted to run a laser? Too bad. Get over it. It seems in response to people wanting a SF style OWL, they created one but ignored the fact people might be wanting to use it in conjunction with a dual switch of some sort. I'm not entirely sure who this product is aimed for, and it seems like Modlite will still be in the lead of the two companies for those who want a WML in conjunction with NVG's.

Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]
OTOH since the tailcap/switch assembly is modular it should be very easy to integrate it into whatever system you want. When different modules are required you can just get a small component instead of purchasing a whole unit. I like the idea. Want a TAPS? Just get the Cloud/laser model and install it right into the REIN. No plugs or adapters needed.

I'm not sure what gauge wire Surefire is using but that may be nearing the max current carrying capacity of existing switches. Some of these 18650 batteries can handle very high drains and with the energy demands of modern lights they may be saving themselves a whole lot of headache in the near future by beefing up the system.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OTOH since the tailcap/switch assembly is modular it should be very easy to integrate it into whatever system you want. When different modules are required you can just get a small component instead of purchasing a whole unit. I like the idea. Want a TAPS? Just get the Cloud/laser model and install it right into the REIN. No plugs or adapters needed.

I'm not sure what gauge wire Surefire is using but that may be nearing the max current carrying capacity of existing switches. Some of these 18650 batteries can handle very high drains and with the energy demands of modern lights they may be saving themselves a whole lot of headache in the near future by beefing up the system.
View Quote
Hopefully the 3rd party switch makers jump on board if this light turns out to be good. We are finally seeing stuff for the stream lights as well (arisaka adapter/unity hot button)
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is all true, but the big issue is we have to kind of wait and see where it's all going. Right now your solution of getting the REIN TAPS doesn't exist, and it relies on Unity making it for them. Meanwhile Modlite already did work with Unity for their project. They made their little button which combines a simple button with future proofed wiring... But it's also still fully backwards compatible with SF plugs. It just seems like if we need to beef up the wires and the connectors this doesn't seem to necessitate a proprietary cap.

For me it's fascinating to see that photo of the REIN, with it's proprietary tailcap, paired next to a MAWL, the highest end laser on the market that uses industry standard plugs -- which the REIN made an active decision not to interface with. If someone asked me why they should get a REIN over a Modlite or OWL at this point I don't think I could answer the question even if my mothers life depended on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually want to avoid tape switches and I like the rein pic shown above.

The question is do I like it more than a modality OKW?

I was ready to buy an OKW on black Friday but opted to wait to see what new stuff comes out at SHOT.  Seems like modlites main new draw is their little button.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Will wait on more videos to make a decision
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow. I am really liking that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Cloud Defensive REIN. SHOT Show 2020
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Figures.  Right when I find Modlite, now I'll be dumping them for this.  The lumens of the PLH with the candela of the OKW.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Any idea on pricing compared to owl?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Their posts on instagram suggest $300 for a full setup
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I think they said they're working on dual activation, time will tell how long and how well.

IMO the MAWL may arguably be better without a cable than with it, it's about the only IR device I probably wouldn't mind running without a remote switch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Liking the 90 degree cable tail cap exit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Figures.  Right when I find Modlite, now I'll be dumping them for this.  The lumens of the PLH with the candela of the OKW.
View Quote
Just when I think I’m out, they pull me back in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does not have the candela of the OKW.

58k vs 69k leaves it 11k short.

Also it looks heavy as hell... the Modlite is already heavy. The OWL is stupid heavy. That looks like the heaviest head I have seen. Hit me up when you want to sell the OKW.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also it looks heavy as hell... the Modlite is already heavy. The OWL is stupid heavy. That looks like the heaviest head I have seen. Hit me up when you want to sell the OKW.
View Quote
Close enough for me.  11k candela for double the lumens?  I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I weighed the modlite at 4.3oz including battery...is this considered "already heavy" nowadays for a rifle light?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I weighed the modlite at 4.3oz including battery...is this considered "already heavy" nowadays for a rifle light?
View Quote
Lol yeah thats nothing

My OWL weights 11 ounces and its at the end of my SBR with a Nomad attached. Still balances perfectly and the weight doesn't matter

If it was a range toy, maybe I would opt for a light with less mass. Same thing with something like a coyote gun, then I'd get the modlite anyway for maximal beam distance
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Are there going to be IR offerings for the REIN?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top