Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2021 2:04:50 PM EDT
Has anyone tried the one from Wilson Combat, looks interesting. Sorry cannot post link, operator issue.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
OP is this the item you are speaking about?

Upper receiver widget
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When mine get that bad, I go out in my garage and spray out the upper receiver with brake cleaner, blow it out with air compressor and re lube.

If you are worried about the drainage hold it over your oil drain pan. You do have a drain pan, air compressor and keep brake cleaner right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
GrimEReaper, Yes that is the one.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Upper receiver widget
View Quote

Looks like Wilson produced something that will create a trickle of income as people buy new pads for it. Answer to a problem I don't have.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just use a large nylon bristle brush to clean mine.
McMaster-Carr has a great selection of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Baby bottle brush to break up the carbon, a semi-clean rag made from old t-shirts/underwear/socks (washed or unwashed.  I don't judge), re-lube and keep going.  The only tool I really find a blessing is the Tipton chamber tool with a chamber brush and chamber mop.  I shoot a lot of steel so I like to scrape out the blow-by and make sure the barrel extension is pretty clean.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Screwdriver wrapped in rap to get the charging handle channel.

Chamber brush with rag for the main-upper.

Bend q tips to swab locking lugs.

Double-patch your eyelet, and gently twist in chamber to swab.

No special tools. No BS. Just a clean, functioning rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
This idea came from another member here some time ago: Mini paint roller, bend the handle straight. Replacement pads are about $0.40 ea in bulk. I prefer a parts washer, Simple Green HD (not the regular) and a bottle brush for the upper.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Upper receiver widget
View Quote

OMG!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a shotgun bore mop with a rag wrapped around it attached to a pistol cleaning rod.

Gets most of the interior of the upper receiver, as well as inside the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried the one from Wilson Combat, looks interesting. Sorry cannot post link, operator issue.
View Quote

I use one and it works great. I spent a few bucks on extra pads and I'm good to go. The pads fold up and reach most of the internal surfaces of an AR's receiver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone ever used Aluminum black touch up ?
Will this work on other metals such as tool steel on BCGs?  I have some scratching / gouging markings underside of carrier belly created by the hammer or something else.  Any ideas what I can use to repair this?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I normally just wipe the inside of the upper out with a rag.  The charging handle channel gets wiped with a cleaning rod tip wrapped in the same rag.  I oil the lugs on the bolt and barrel and maybe that helps the crud blow backwards into the receiver???

If I think it's starting to look bad enough to bother my sense of cleanliness, I grab a can of carb. cleaner or brake cleaner and spray it out.  If I do that I'll shoot a couple blasts down the gas tube to make me feel better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#14]
" />
This has always worked pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use one of those blue shop towels on a dowel to get the big chunks and don't sweat the small stuff.  I do use a chamber brush now and again especially if I'm using a bunch of steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever used Aluminum black touch up ?
Will this work on other metals such as tool steel on BCGs?  I have some scratching / gouging markings underside of carrier belly created by the hammer or something else.  Any ideas what I can use to repair this?
View Quote

Some wear on the underside of the carrier is normal, don’t worry about it. Brownells Formula 44/40 should work better on steel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a 12ga brush with a patch around it.  
  Smith and Wesson makes a brush that is specific to that purpose.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top