Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 12:48:14 AM EDT
I have been learning more on ARs for the past year. My first AR is not chrome lined in the bore and chamber.

By how much more faster will the barrel erode or corrode vs a chrome lined rifle?

How much more faster would it ware down with high rates of fire with a suppressor?

Everything I have researched suggest that the non chrome line barrels won’t last as long BUT does not give a definite time frame.

I know that many factors can play in this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Serious high power competitors will be looking at replacing their nonchrome lined barrels (they don't use chrome lined barrels) 4000 to 7000 rounds (you'll get a lot of different opinions) depending on various conditions.  That is because flyers start occurring at 600 yards.  At closer ranges, the deterioration is much less noticeable and most people wouldn't notice.  This can be compensated for by loading overall cartridges lengths a little longer due to the throat erosion, but there are limits to this.

With chrome lining, barrel life will be greatly increased, but it usually will take away from longer range performance.

There are other benefits to chrome, such as corrosion resistance and easier cleaning.

For most people either barrel will work well.  If you actually do shoot out a barrel, the cost of the ammo to do it is far more than the cost of a barrel.  Consider the barrel a consumable item if you shoot that much.

If shooting other cartridges, such as 300 Win Mag (not in ARs of course0, throat erosion is even more significant.  For 22lr, it is virtually non existent.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been learning more on ARs for the past year. My first AR is not chrome lined in the bore and chamber.

By how much more faster will the barrel erode or corrode vs a chrome lined rifle?

How much more faster would it ware down with high rates of fire with a suppressor?

Everything I have researched suggest that the non chrome line barrels won’t last as long BUT does not give a definite time frame.

I know that many factors can play in this.
View Quote
Is your barrel just non-chromed CMV or has it also undergone some sort of nitriding?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrels these days are usually four options

(1) Plain old barrel steel - has no protective coating, so can erode from hot gasses & corrode if not kept clean

(2) Stainless Steel - stainless is resistive to corrosion (not as much as Chrome or Nitride) but better than plain steel - usually accurate in many match barrels are made of SS

(3) Barrel Steel that is Chrome Lined - Resists wear & Corrosion very well (Chrome is tough stuff), but tends to be less accurate as precise control of the exact depth of the chrome lining is not always 100% consistent.

(4) Barrel Steel that is Nitrided - Resists wear (hardens the steel) & Corrosion very well, and if the barrel is accurate, the Nitride treatment won't degrade accuracy as chrome lining may.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Adco did a test on a stainless barrel. Results were amazing. I think its pinned on their industry page.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
All I know and from specs is 4150 chromoly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All I know and from specs is 4150 chromoly.
View Quote
What is the make/model? Do you have any pictures?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My original StG.58 manufactured in 59 is not CL and still shoots great.

Mag dumps are what can damage your barrel.

Normal shooting? Not really. Enjoy your AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top