Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2018 11:05:16 AM EDT
Hey guys so I'm building an xm16e1 I want to go all retro look on the outside but modern on the internals as of right now I have
Us collectors ordinance furniture set
Original USGI early cotton m1 seatbelt sling
New old stock original colt 1/12 20 inch barrel
Lower parts from retro works
Original 3 prong flash hider
A1 night sights made by metprolite
And a nodak spud upper and lower I have a source for a colt 604 upper but idk yet
And original colt charging handle
The plan is to get the upper lower and all the parts molly resined since us annodizing isnt taking orders

For the buffer I was thinking the jp silent capture buffer system or the armaspec buffer any suggestions would help also what weights do you guys run in a fixed stock?

As for the chrome bolt carrier I dont know if I should go with brownells or stag arms they are both chrome bolts but I dont know alot about either product so any and all suggestions would help out also if you have any suggestions on my parts list let me know as well thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Very few XM16E1s came with chrome carriers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very few XM16E1s came with chrome carriers.
View Quote
At least the first 50,000 XM16E1's had chrome carriers out of a total production run of about 400,000 XM16E1 rifles.  So, that is about one in eight (12.5%) that had chrome carriers. Plus, they look WAY cooler than parked carriers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
@genofromreno has an armalite carrier. Hard chromed..
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@genofromreno has an armalite carrier. Hard chromed..
View Quote
If he is building it with mostly repro parts, why spend the money on an original carrier when the repros are so good?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Dunno.

I didn't know chromed carriers were still being produced.

The armalite was a cheap option @100 bucks..
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I had reached out to him it is a slick side or else I would have bought it
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Tony's Customs sells both smooth and notched chrome bolt carrier groups.  If you really have your heart set on an Original, IM me as I might have an extra one kicking around in my parts box
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
For the buffer and spring, I recommend using a standard M16A1 buffer and spring. They are smooth shooting using these and it is a waste to use anything else. SARCO Inc. and What-A-Country are a couple vendors that have them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I will look into those thanks I appreciate the advice and feedback
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top