Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2020 11:47:53 PM EDT
Hey borthers,

Wanting to snag myself a few Chrome BCGs for some retro builds Im doing. I already have one of Brownells offerings and its dull finish isnt very appealing and Id like to see what else is out there. I was recently looking at the offering from Retro Rifles

Anyone have an experience with these? Anyone have a Slick Side Chrome BGC they'd recommend? What about a NiB charrier group? Any with the same look?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I also have a Brownells dull chrome 601 style BCG from 2018 and it's more gray than chrome. I've heard their current ones are much nicer but haven't seen a good picture of one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Quentin:
I also have a Brownells dull chrome 601 style BCG from 2018 and it's more gray than chrome. I've heard their current ones are much nicer but haven't seen a good picture of one.
View Quote

That is what I have heard but a friend of mine got one brand new in November of 2019 and it was just as dull as mine
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Ovewatch3985:

That is what I have heard but a friend of mine got one brand new in November of 2019 and it was just as dull as mine
View Quote

Well that's disappointing. And would be a hassle returning it since many of us wouldn't have a use for another slick side BCG.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Hard chrome plating is typically not very shiny, dull grey is normal
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JBowles:
Hard chrome plating is typically not very shiny, dull grey is normal 
View Quote

Arent the original Colt carriers shiney? Was that a fluke during their chromeing process?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a dull one and polished it up with Muthers mag wheel polish and a polishing wheel on my dremel tool.  It took a long time, but it came out great. The chrome bolts & carriers that Tony’s Customs sells, appear shinier than the ones Brownells sells. If you do decide on an aftermarket one instead of an original, be sure to replace the chrome cam pin that comes on it with a parkerized one.  Chrome cam pins were only used on the first hundred or so 601’s, and after that, they were ALL parkerized.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This is kind of interesting to me as I've ordered several of the nickel boron ones from PSA over the years that finish sounds similar to that finish, but the last one I ordered I'd swear is chromed.  It's VERY shiny & VERY smooth.  This is the one I'm talking about.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-logoed-premium-5-56-nickel-boron-bcg-with-carpenter-158-bolt-516446450.html

I've ordered at least 6 or 7 of those in the past & this is the first one that looks like its chromed & polished.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I used the chrome Young Mfg SP1 in my 604.
Linkage
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SmegHead:
I used the chrome Young Mfg SP1 in my 604.
Linkage
View Quote

Those look really nice, was sad when it said they were sold out :[
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if they are any good, but I was gonna get one of these for my XM16E1 build. https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-5.56-nato-complete-mil-spec-m16-bolt-carrier-group-chrome
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know if they are any good, but I was gonna get one of these for my XM16E1 build. https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-5.56-nato-complete-mil-spec-m16-bolt-carrier-group-chrome
View Quote

Who actually makes those carriers?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Machinehead for original chrome Colt or Young Mfg for current production,  only two worth spending coins on as already stated above.   Gunbroker mostly corrosion military rejects and twice actual value at minimum from the regular sistars.  The sellers advertising the best bla. bla. horse poop usually have the most screwed up items.  Lot of BS in their ads with some sellers of those an asking minimum of twice what they are worth on their best day. Look at lugs, in between, if any sign of corrosion avoid. Bolt face if it shows any primer wear,  avoid.  They will take a lot of abuse full auto and show zero wear,  so if you see primer wear it's not worth purchasing IMO unless dirt cheap like $40-50 max.  Carriers avoid multi staking would be best advise and any sign of corrosion.  Contact Kevin if you want something decent would be my advice, take it or not.

Original Colt chrome will increase in value.  Young will hold it's value.  Others going to depreciate the second you pay for them.  Stay away from 9310 bolt unless cheapskate an only pocket change option.  Not saying all are crap but most all are crap.  Your face and fingers or your wife or kids.  Why chance physical injury over a few dollars?  

Better to save and wait IMO and buy quality. Only non true military Colt or FN BCG's I've ever used were for wildcat odd caliber stuff where true milspec was not available.  Young makes some of that stuff also (odd calibers).  Never had a BCG failure in over 60K rounds fired with AR's. Have worn out some cam pins, retainers and firing pins, gas rings and springs, all replaceable in seconds for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Machinehead for original chrome Colt or Young Mfg for current production,  only two worth spending coins on as already stated above.   Gunbroker mostly corrosion military rejects and twice actual value at minimum from the regular sistars.  The sellers advertising the best bla. bla. horse poop usually have the most screwed up items.  Lot of BS in their ads with some sellers of those an asking minimum of twice what they are worth on their best day. Look at lugs, in between, if any sign of corrosion avoid. Bolt face if it shows any primer wear,  avoid.  They will take a lot of abuse full auto and show zero wear,  so if you see primer wear it's not worth purchasing IMO unless dirt cheap like $40-50 max.  Carriers avoid multi staking would be best advise and any sign of corrosion.  Contact Kevin if you want something decent would be my advice, take it or not.

Original Colt chrome will increase in value.  Young will hold it's value.  Others going to depreciate the second you pay for them.  Stay away from 9310 bolt unless cheapskate an only pocket change option.  Not saying all are crap but most all are crap.  Your face and fingers or your wife or kids.  Why chance physical injury over a few dollars?  

Better to save and wait IMO and buy quality. Only non true military Colt or FN BCG's I've ever used were for wildcat odd caliber stuff where true milspec was not available.  Young makes some of that stuff also (odd calibers).  Never had a BCG failure in over 60K rounds fired with AR's. Have worn out some cam pins, retainers and firing pins, gas rings and springs, all replaceable in seconds for cheap.
View Quote

Thank you for the information, I was kinda going the route of waiting for original Colts or maybe a Daniel Defense. Stupid question, is Machinehead a user here?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, check M1Sniper post above for link to his information.  Don't IM,  send an e-mail, wait for reply.  Patience is the key for retro good deals and the better condition parts (litle luck doesn't hurt either).  In a hurry,  expect to probably not get the best of deals, worse parts condition or fall to some serious salesmanshit at possibly it's finest this side of a used car lot.  

Most quality vendors don't need to advertise, word of mouth is king.  Expect waiting lists with these quality providers.  NDS is the prime example for retro receivers.  JT, Retro Arms Works for retro repair, Young Mfg for BCG's, barrels Compass Lake (not retro), White Oak (not retro etc.).  They're the good guys with the best stuff, quality of craftsmanship, etc.  These won't be the lowest priced but you generally get what you pay for.  RRA for small parts (best service and decent pricing), are as close to true milspec as readily available without buying true milspec Colt or FN & couple exceptions not retro.  RRA line of weapons is pretty good also from AR's to pistols but again not retro. JSE Surplus is top flight for the small business but some of their retro is same reproduction everyone else sells. Pick & choose, no internal cc fraud and great customer service.  

I generally only use the true milspec parts from  Colt & FN but Colt has dropped out for the time being, causing increase in pricing / availability and lots of used Bubba'd junk for inflated pricing.  Centerfire M-16A1 kits are cheap enough right now but probably need a can of Sandstrom dry film lube to make look like much. Neither Colt or FN actually manufacture most all of their parts and never did but they do mfg the potential liability issue pieces with milspec quality control.  The other pieces are actually purchased from sub contractors, springs from spring mfg's, bolt, screw and pins from bolt, screw & pin mfg's.  This list goes on an on but there are better quality mfg's on these also.  Lot of Chinese crap finds it's way into the mix unfortunately.  Snap-On or Harbor Freight?  Depends on the job / task at hand.  I use Harbor Freight but I wouldn't confuse their wares with quality of craftsmanship either.

Most all the reproduction parts available today are low tier, maximized profit stuff.  Reproduction / fake stuff always has been generally.  It's our world on a regular day to day basis unfortunately. Under engineered,  not over engineered.  Don't expect your new refrigerator to last as long as the one it replaced, would be a fine example of this.  Lifetime warranty from some vendors is great unless weapon kills you and voids the warranty to boot.

Keep in mind Covid-19 right now has slowed production / availability from the better places especially in states under Dem control.  Numrich for old authentic retro furniture is a prime example.  Closed for Covid-19.  They will open back up. Lot of that authentic stuff does require some finesse and they will screw you also.  Coin toss many times but they take returns.  Generally not "sold as is" unless humper project stuff. Pics might not be actual item one receives.  Sarco never returned anything in last 10 years that my dedicated cc didn't buy a bunch of cell phones within 20 miles of Easton,  unfortunately for my financial institution and my wasted time / resources.

It's a buyer beware environment on the real stuff an always has been, always will be.  Do homework before going to class.   Better sellers will show all possible flaws they observe.  Poopheads will hide behind I'm so great at this or that while ripping you off.  Most sellers too busy tooting their own horn aren't worth the waste of time or resources.  If you see wording in ads or advice like "I'm or I've" don't walk, run away.  Cool isn't telling everyone how cool you are (Gov Coumo?),  cool is when everyone else says it and no one gets damaged from association, whether jailed, physically injured, etc.

Dems are playing politics at the expense of their tax paying citizens in more cases than not,  with promises of gold paved streets and the only gold paving is in their own driveways and such.  Not all of them but waaaay toooo many none the less.  Can't go to church but can buy some pot or get an abortion with no problems if that's what one desires. Pretty much shows where we're at politically and socially unfortunately the truth cuts rather deep especially on thin skin.  I'd rather have the US Constitution & it's amendments with firearms and property protection, freedom of speech and religion  than pot personally and most here probably feel the same unless part of our unfortunate uneducated brainwashed youth movement of last 20 years or so and really started with President Dwight D Eisenhower for recent times anyway. Few today could even tell you what the Douglas debates were about even with a PHD in American history.

DD is great stuff also.  LMT, Wilson Combat,  to name a few but there is a short list not a long list. Enjoy your Memorial Day and your freedom where ever possible. Please think of others who gave their lives for the flag, not yourselves.  Dave's how to buy retro or quality AR parts guide!  Quack! Quack!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes, check M1Sniper post above for link to his information.  Don't IM,  send an e-mail, wait for reply.  Patience is the key for retro good deals and the better condition parts (litle luck doesn't hurt either).  In a hurry,  expect to probably not get the best of deals, worse parts condition or fall to some serious salesmanshit at possibly it's finest this side of a used car lot.  

Most quality vendors don't need to advertise, word of mouth is king.  Expect waiting lists with these quality providers.  NDS is the prime example for retro receivers.  JT, Retro Arms Works for retro repair, Young Mfg for BCG's, barrels Compass Lake (not retro), White Oak (not retro etc.).  They're the good guys with the best stuff, quality of craftsmanship, etc.  These won't be the lowest priced but you generally get what you pay for.  RRA for small parts (best service and decent pricing), are as close to true milspec as readily available without buying true milspec Colt or FN & couple exceptions not retro.  RRA line of weapons is pretty good also from AR's to pistols but again not retro. JSE Surplus is top flight for the small business but some of their retro is same reproduction everyone else sells. Pick & choose, no internal cc fraud and great customer service.  

I generally only use the true milspec parts from  Colt & FN but Colt has dropped out for the time being, causing increase in pricing / availability and lots of used Bubba'd junk for inflated pricing.  Centerfire M-16A1 kits are cheap enough right now but probably need a can of Sandstrom dry film lube to make look like much. Neither Colt or FN actually manufacture most all of their parts and never did but they do mfg the potential liability issue pieces with milspec quality control.  The other pieces are actually purchased from sub contractors, springs from spring mfg's, bolt, screw and pins from bolt, screw & pin mfg's.  This list goes on an on but there are better quality mfg's on these also.  Lot of Chinese crap finds it's way into the mix unfortunately.  Snap-On or Harbor Freight?  Depends on the job / task at hand.  I use Harbor Freight but I wouldn't confuse their wares with quality of craftsmanship either.

Most all the reproduction parts available today are low tier, maximized profit stuff.  Reproduction / fake stuff always has been generally.  It's our world on a regular day to day basis unfortunately. Under engineered,  not over engineered.  Don't expect your new refrigerator to last as long as the one it replaced, would be a fine example of this.  Lifetime warranty from some vendors is great unless weapon kills you and voids the warranty to boot.

Keep in mind Covid-19 right now has slowed production / availability from the better places especially in states under Dem control.  Numrich for old authentic retro furniture is a prime example.  Closed for Covid-19.  They will open back up. Lot of that authentic stuff does require some finesse and they will screw you also.  Coin toss many times but they take returns.  Generally not "sold as is" unless humper project stuff. Pics might not be actual item one receives.  Sarco never returned anything in last 10 years that my dedicated cc didn't buy a bunch of cell phones within 20 miles of Easton,  unfortunately for my financial institution and my wasted time / resources.

It's a buyer beware environment on the real stuff an always has been, always will be.  Do homework before going to class.   Better sellers will show all possible flaws they observe.  Poopheads will hide behind I'm so great at this or that while ripping you off.  Most sellers too busy tooting their own horn aren't worth the waste of time or resources.  If you see wording in ads or advice like "I'm or I've" don't walk, run away.  Cool isn't telling everyone how cool you are (Gov Coumo?),  cool is when everyone else says it and no one gets damaged from association, whether jailed, physically injured, etc.

Dems are playing politics at the expense of their tax paying citizens in more cases than not,  with promises of gold paved streets and the only gold paving is in their own driveways and such.  Not all of them but waaaay toooo many none the less.  Can't go to church but can buy some pot or get an abortion with no problems if that's what one desires. Pretty much shows where we're at politically and socially unfortunately the truth cuts rather deep especially on thin skin.  I'd rather have the US Constitution & it's amendments with firearms and property protection, freedom of speech and religion  than pot personally and most here probably feel the same unless part of our unfortunate uneducated brainwashed youth movement of last 20 years or so and really started with President Dwight D Eisenhower for recent times anyway. Few today could even tell you what the Douglas debates were about even with a PHD in American history.

DD is great stuff also.  LMT, Wilson Combat,  to name a few but there is a short list not a long list. Enjoy your Memorial Day and your freedom where ever possible. Please think of others who gave their lives for the flag, not yourselves.  Dave's how to buy retro or quality AR parts guide!  Quack! Quack!
View Quote

Cdenmark,  You seem to be very knowledgeable on all things AR. Could you give an opinion on fail zero, and toolcraft BCGs?  I've read good and bad on both.  I've also read that Palmetto get there's from toolcraft. What say ye?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Daniel Defense makes a good chrome bolt & BCG, but it has serrations.  I got one for a DD barrel retro build with a thin barrel.

I know CHF isn’t “retro” but it’s a better barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]
The Retro Rifle BCG is nicely done, looks good and functions well. You can get both serrated and slick side. FP is modern, small head.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot to mention Fulton Armory.  They have a slick side chrome C158....IDK about polish/shine.
Fulton Armory BCG
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I used one from Fulton Armory. I like it. Not dull but, not super shiny either.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top