Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know of some weights that will fit snugly into the storage compartment of the SOPMOD stock to better balance a rifle out?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it seems like everyone else had somthin to say here....soooo..holy crap!!!!

Didnt read pass the 1st page..couldnt take anymore, but i really like the Vltor emods..
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Casebrius:
Are they any "extra long" collapsible stocks out there now? I'm 6'3" and find any I've tried seem a bit short for my arm length.

The EMod is longer than the LMT SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Originally Posted By 11BLT:
While recently looking through the Choate website at rifle and shotgun stocks I noticed that Choate has a m-4  stock similar to the SOPMOD stock.  I know that Choate makes decent rifle and shotgun stocks and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with or had handled one of their m-4 stocks and could post their opinions as to quality and functionality.

11BLT

Here is a review of the Choate stock.

All the pix except the top one are little red x's...

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NITROMAX:
What about the Command Arms Stock?, out of all of these I was pushing too the Viltor but I really LIKE the Comand Arms. Any feed back on this piece?.
Thank You,
Chefgun.
We May Not Allways Agree, But We Will Allways Be Friends.

I've got a CBS stock on one of mine. No rattle with a tight fit. Good cheek weld for me.

The only thing is, I could see the storage door eventually breaking off at some point.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 2:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jb241970:
Originally Posted By NITROMAX:
What about the Command Arms Stock?, out of all of these I was pushing too the Viltor but I really LIKE the Comand Arms. Any feed back on this piece?.
Thank You,
Chefgun.
We May Not Allways Agree, But We Will Allways Be Friends.

I've got a CBS stock on one of mine. No rattle with a tight fit. Good cheek weld for me.

The only thing is, I could see the storage door eventually breaking off at some point.

I like mine.  The batteries i store inside it are for emergency use so it the door rarely gets opened.  If I could afford an ACS or SOPMOD or something nice I'd get it, but in the mean time, the CAA works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My 4position stock won't come off the tube. Is there a certain way to do this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1098cya] [#8]
How about this:  Just arrived. It's the Magpul ACS and it's all of the CTR and more!  Already used on the range, and the cheekweld is great.  The compartments are easy to get to and the tubes on both sides hold 2 AA or 3 cr123 batteries.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Could I replace the A2 stock of my stag arms with that? I'm looking for something to shorten the overall length of my rifle. Not sure if it would fit because I don't belief mine is milspec.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe Magpul only has the ACS in the Milspec version.  It would fit tight on your commercial buffer tube.  Commercial buffer tubes are slightly larger and have a angle cut at the rear.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By donnieR32:
Could I replace the A2 stock of my stag arms with that? I'm looking for something to shorten the overall length of my rifle. Not sure if it would fit because I don't belief mine is milspec.

you would need to swap out your whole buffer tube kit for a carbine buffer tube kit. a2 buffer tube won't work for a collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#12]
The general consensus among arfcommers is that my m4 needs a new stock.  I hear a lot about the Vltor being the top of the line....but to be honest I hate the look of it.  At first, I even hated the look of the CTR, but I am warming up to it.  My question.....is the CTR considered an absolute top-of-the-line stock?
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 3:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC03] [#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I missed the post on this thread, if so I apologize for asking a second time but are there any posted weights of the various stocks i.e. lightest to heaviest etc. Thanks for the info or the redirect if already  existing!
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I need some help on parts for converting from original Colt Match HBAR upper to Carbine stock. Just need good basic (quality) stuff with decent cheek weld.

I currently have a cheep pos carbine stock on it but plan to replace everything - the OD of the tube measures well under mil spec. This is an iron sight carry handle setup - I consider it a serious (yet backup) defensive rifle, and want to upgrade the stock. (Including a Magpul ASAP sling adapter, which I already have.)

Barrel is a 14.5" Bushmaster with fixed muzzle thingy for a really short (& legal) OAL.

So:
1). Buy a complete carbine conversion kit...does a good "kit" even exist? - or piecemeal individual parts?

2). Is the mil spec Vltor Tube worth the extra money and why is the DSA tube so cheap ($17 dealer vs $44 for the Viltor? I'm frugal, but do like quality.

3). I'm looking at the CTR stock, but will the Magpul MOE give me everything I need? No batteries required so the ASC is way past my needs.

4). Best place to get everything at once? (I get dealer pricing at Brownells & Midway, not that it's much off on most items.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By shootist87122:
I need some help on parts for converting from original Colt Match HBAR upper to Carbine stock. Just need good basic (quality) stuff with decent cheek weld.

I currently have a cheep pos carbine stock on it but plan to replace everything - the OD of the tube measures well under mil spec. This is an iron sight carry handle setup - I consider it a serious (yet backup) defensive rifle, and want to upgrade the stock. (Including a Magpul ASAP sling adapter, which I already have.)

Barrel is a 14.5" Bushmaster with fixed muzzle thingy for a really short (& legal) OAL.

So:
1). Buy a complete carbine conversion kit...does a good "kit" even exist? - or piecemeal individual parts?

2). Is the mil spec Vltor Tube worth the extra money and why is the DSA tube so cheap ($17 dealer vs $44 for the Viltor? I'm frugal, but do like quality.

3). I'm looking at the CTR stock, but will the Magpul MOE give me everything I need? No batteries required so the ASC is way past my needs.

4). Best place to get everything at once? (I get dealer pricing at Brownells & Midway, not that it's much off on most items.)

Thanks.

I bought the parts I needed (spring, buffer, etc.) from Midway and they seemed to have the best price and everything was available.

On the CTR vs. MOE, I have been told by a couple of dealers that the CTR is supposed to be more solid but that you can't tell the difference and that the $40 upcharge for the CTR is a waste.  The MOE on my buddy's AR is rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a receiver extension tube for the collapsible stock.  It's diameter is about 1.75" +/-.  Is this a military or commercial diameter tube, as the stock I have will not fit on it because it (the stock) is too small.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive tried almost everything and the LMT m4 stock always wins for me. LMT does a great job of building a nice simple stock thats a cut above all others. My emod is collecting dust and my sopmod was sold long ago, but ive got lmt m4 stocks on both my AR15's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By T18B40:
I have a receiver extension tube for the collapsible stock.  It's diameter is about 1.75" +/-.  Is this a military or commercial diameter tube, as the stock I have will not fit on it because it (the stock) is too small.  Any help is appreciated.

If your stock is too small for the tube, you have a mil-spec stock and a commercial tube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always looked at all the fancy stocks with storage and what not and thought "why"?

I ordered a UBR from Bravo last week after my carbine buffer tube pulled hair off my face for the 100th time and I realized that it would be nice to have a cheek weld that wasn't across two uneven surfaces.  I installed it last night and I must say, what a stock.  I don't think I ever want to use a factory carbine stock again, the UBR is just so comfortable and it balanced the rifle out very well.  I also found the shape of the butt countoured itself pefectly to the pectoral muscle.

Now I have to shell out 250 everytime I get a new carbine  
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know where I can get a Magpul M93A??
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By david2van:

http://www.sogarmory.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=104107

That's the easiest way. Ergo bought the rights to make the M93 from Magpul and are currently selling it as the F93.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
so what exactly was the answer to the Duo Stock questions. Is it worth the money?
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By david2van:

here's the reincarnated M93 by Ergo
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Just made a new thread about this stock, then found this one, so I'll mention it here as well. Tactical Intent TI-7. I love this thing.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Can anyone suggest the collapsible stock that extends the furthest back?  I really need a long stock since I am a bigger guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JoeyWallStreet:
Can anyone suggest the collapsible stock that extends the furthest back?  I really need a long stock since I am a bigger guy.

The new Vltor A5 collapsible stock combo kit is one of the longest collapsible type, when fully extended it is even longer than the M16A2 fixed stock.

The receiver extension (buffer tube) of the A5 system is longer by around 3/4" than a standard carbine collapsible buffer tube and it have 7 positions which is one more position than a carbine buffer tube, also the EMOD stock body which comes with the A5 combo kit is one of the longest stock body available.

Ref. M16A5 Stock From Vltor - AR-15 New AR Products forum thread link

http://www.vltor.com

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Vltor IMOD in FDE color installed on my Colt model AR6721 AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine

The Vltor IMOD series replaced the original Modstock series sometime last year after it was first revealed at the 2010 SHOT Show.

Here's the improvements from the original Modstock from Vltor's site.

The improvements of the IMod are as follows:

• Integral, but removable non-slip buttpad (color matched to stock components)

• Rolled/ angled buttpad toe with wide traction area. This will assist in running the stock high on shoulder, making the IMod system more user friendly when using web-gear and/or body armor.

• Improved lock paddle, making it easier to operate and making the contact surface non-slip when operating the lever.

• Removed most sharp edges that may cause “snag points” to web-gear or other vital equipment.

• Improved strength throughout construction of the stock chassis. This will provide maximum strength during “Mortaring exercise” or unexpected impact.

Like all Vltor stocks, the IMod is available in the three most popular colors; Black, Flat Dark Earth (tan) and Foliage Green. As with the original Modstocks, the IMod is offered in the conventional, “Standard” configuration and the unconventional, “Clubfoot” configuration.

The IMod series is now available to fit either the Milspec or Commercial diameter receiver extension/buffer tube.

The following are my impressions of my Vltor EMOD which I bought last January.

It had a better cheek weld than the standard M4 stock and the same as the old Modstock, also similar to the LMT SOPMOD.

My IMOD mounted on my Colt buffer tube have a very tiny slow movement, no rattles, but it's solid when in the shooting position, when I use it with my other BCM buffer tube the fit is more tighter and less movement and feels virtually like a fixed stock.

In the durability department I have not dropped it 5 ft buttpad first on a concrete floor but from the improvements that the factory incorporated to resist damage, I'm pretty sure that this new model are better than the old Modstock and standard stocks.

It's easy to use just like the M4 and Modstocks, the ridges on the lock paddle are better and makes them less slippery, I also appreciate all the smooth radius of edges and corners.

Storage capacity, each side compartment can hold at least two AAs or three lithium CR123 3-volt batteries. The internal diameter of each compartment is 0.685”.

Sling mounting for all Modstocks, including the IMod will accept a heavy duty push-button, quick detachable sling swivel or a conventional web sling, measuring up to 1.375” in webbing width.

Installation is just like a standard carbine M4 stock, just pull down the lock paddle/ adjustment lever and slide it on the buffer tube.

IMOD stock bodies only, either standard carbine or clubfoot models have a suggested price of $99.95, and the complete kit are only available with mil-spec size buffer tubes, with carbine buffer spring, standard carbine buffer, receiver end lock plate, and castle nut are $159.95 retail price.

The weight of the stock body only are less than 9.4 oz. (mil-spec and commercial with storage compartment and buttpad installed).

Dimensions:

Length: 6.250” (without buttpad)
Length: 6.626” (with buttpad)
Width: 2.500” (with storage compartments installed)
Height: 5.210” (with buttpad installed)

The feature that I really liked is the integrated rubber buttpad which doesn't get loose compared to the Modstock's slip on rubber buttpad which could get loose if not tied down, also the angle of the foot at the bottom makes it comfortable when the weapon is shouldered in the ready muzzle at 45 degree downward position.

http://www.vltor.com

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Digging this site, new guy here that has a slight issue. I am browsing the thread and have a question. The M4 stock to me is nice and all but I need something with a bigger cheek weld area and more weight because my gun is front heavy. Would the ACS be acceptable to balance this all out? I'd love a SOPMOD but that ain't going to happen.

cheers!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I have read most of this everlasting post (a good thing) and need a little help with which stock I need for a .223 LMT CQB MRP.

First and foremost the most important thing is I am looking for a really good recoil pad.  The reason is I bought this rifle to help teach my two sons (4&5 years of age) how to shoot.  They are too young right now to hold the gun properly, but I am trying to plan for the future.  I was raised on a .30-06 as we were only able to afford one rifle when I was growing up and therefore I still have problems with recoil.  I am glad my father took time with me to teach me how to shoot and we did the best we could with what we had at the time.  I just want the lightest recoiling combination I can put together and therefore the desire for the best recoil pad.

My other desires are that I want a good cheek weld that will not pull my beard and obviously a good swivel attatchment.  I have looked at the LMT SOPMOD, but just didnt know if I could get a better recoil pad in a stock of that build style.

Thanks,
Thomas
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Couldnt you swap buffers and use the magpul prs? I have one on my spr bushie and i love it!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Guys, I didn't want to start another thread asking, have we beat up the LMT SOPMOD vs the B5 SOPMOD here at ARF?

TIA.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the new Magpul STR stocks.  I have one in FDE and another in Black.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#34]
just inatalled the Magpul ACS on my M4, love it. But, there is one minor issue, the rubber pad on the back pops off very easily. Probbaly going to just put a few dabs of rubber cement on it. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 12:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#36]
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Magpul:
Originally Posted By JFP:
just inatalled the Magpul ACS on my M4, love it. But, there is one minor issue, the rubber pad on the back pops off very easily. Probbaly going to just put a few dabs of rubber cement on it. Anyone else have this problem?

The pad that comes with the ACS is screwed on. Are you referring to an aftermarket pad or are you missing the two screws?

Negative magpul, the stock came with two pads, one thin, one thick, neither one is held on by the screws. The holes in the pads are the same size as the screw heads, the screws are just holding the backing plate to the stock while the pads merely grip the shoulder around the perimeter of the backing plate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Magpul:

The pad that comes with the ACS is screwed on. Are you referring to an aftermarket pad or are you missing the two screws?

Negative magpul, the stock came with two pads, one thin, one thick, neither one is held on by the screws. The holes in the pads are the same size as the screw heads, the screws are just holding the backing plate to the stock while the pads merely grip the shoulder around the perimeter of the backing plate.

I've never seen an ACS (or any other Magpul stock) that was like this.  Did you buy it from a reliable source?  Can you post pics of the stock and pads?

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#40]
[Did you buy it from a reliable source?  

random dude set up at the most recent Will Rodgers gun show
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there a difference in length of milspec vs commercial tubes? Seems my milspec tube on full out is about 1 notch shorter than my off brand commercial.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Is the Magpul ACS L with a 15" LOP still the longest stock available?
With a reconstructed (metal) elbow my dad could really use an even longer LOP on a M4 carbine.
TIA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#44]
To Bravo who wanted a heavier, rear weighted stock, have you considered the TROY Battle Axe CQB stock? its pretty heavy gauge polymer bodied, and it has an over 1/2" thick solid metal buttplate, im assuming its steel......
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm looking for the shortest stock for my  SBR project - has anyone tried one of the LWRC UCIW Ultra Compact Stocks?  I'm usually using my collapsable stock on the shortest length anyway so extended length isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smicha6551:
I'm looking for the shortest stock for my  SBR project - has anyone tried one of the LWRC UCIW Ultra Compact Stocks?  I'm usually using my collapsable stock on the shortest length anyway so extended length isn't an issue.
View Quote

Have you heard of the NEA PDW stock. Here is a link to another fellows experiances with it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1532072_NEA_PDW_Stock.html
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting, a one page difference and we go from 2009 to 2013. There's been a lot of stocks put on the market in the last four years.

Looking at the new MFT Minimalist: http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Battlelink-stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_6
Already bought a carbine buffer kit to mount it, so it's basically a matter of finding one in the color needed in stock. That can take time. The contrast between it and a lot of the stocks just two pages back shows where the market is going- light, no gimmicks, gives a shooter what he needs. A warm polymer cheek weld, good shoulder purchase, sling options, no extra bells and whistles to clutter things up.

First question, does it hook things. First reports, no. If an A1 with unused sling swivel isn't getting hooked, then you are likely keeping your web gear dressed out to prevent it anyway. There shouldn't be all kinds of flaps and straps stuff can grab. If the stock can hook it, so can stuff inside a troop carrier or HMMV. You have an issue with that, not the stock. It's a foot and finger grabber, fix it. I haven't heard of the Ergo or others being a problem.

Quality - reports from first users say it fits like a glove, no rattling. Clicks into the notches properly. Holds well. Can it be broken, yes, you can break anything, including the A1, A2, etc. Just throw them out a 2d story window or out the back of a truck. Abuse it enough, you can break the buffer tube. You can make the rifle too tough to break, or you can keep the weight under ten pounds, but you can't do both. It's tough enough.

Weighs less than an A1 assembly. No storage to speak much of. It was an optics problem, not a stock problem. There's better out there, and better places to store the power. Like, the grip, where the weight is closer to the center of gravity.

Many other stocks could be have the same things said for them, like Magpul's Ergo still being made by others. For the difference in price, I could buy two MFT's and two buffer kits for one Ergo. Might explain why the MFT is hard to find.

One more deer season with the A1. Oh well. Handguards going, too. It's time for a free float.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks! Getting into one of the Ace M4 Socoms.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone get to play with the new Daniel Defense stock?  I'm putting together a lightweight, inexpensive carbine, and had planned on the Magpul CTR.  I have the CTR on another gun, and it's a great little stock for the money.  I like the looks of the DD stock, but wonder if it locks up as well as the CTR.

I know the DD stock isn't available as a part yet, being available only on their finished rifles.  So, does anyone have one, or played with one (at SHOT for example?)

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Where was this post last year when i needed it!? Any reviews on magpul butt stocks? like this one?

http://www.tacticalvantage.com/en/magpul/1214-magpul-prs-ar-15-sniper-stk-fol.html

I dont trust website reviews

tia
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top