Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 1:54:02 PM EDT
I've got what looks to be a chip in the bolt of my AR right along the cam pin hole. Actually looks like it's chipped on both sides, but one is way worse. I would think it's still OK to shoot, eventually the bolt will just crack and it will fail to go in to battery. But should I consider it unsafe to shoot and go get another one? This thing probably doesn't even have 1000 rounds yet.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No, replace it with a quality bolt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
don't chance it, chuck it and take a very good look at the BCG.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Toss in trash.

Check the EE, someone has a nice quality one for $400
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
What bar and is that pos?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Matter of time before it becomes two or more pieces.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got what looks to be a chip in the bolt of my AR right along the cam pin hole. Actually looks like it's chipped on both sides, but one is way worse. I would think it's still OK to shoot, eventually the bolt will just crack and it will fail to go in to battery. But should I consider it unsafe to shoot and go get another one? This thing probably doesn't even have 1000 rounds yet.

https://i.imgur.com/MsvWBI4.jpg
View Quote
Who is mfr of bolt?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Replace it; there’s no reason to continue shooting a defective bolt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell no.

Replace as posted above, it will fail.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty sure it's clear from the previous replies, but in case you're still on the fence: Replace it.

Who made that bolt?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitively replace it. That already is a weak spot on a bolt.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]
replace it ASAP

Bolts are like hiking boots, good ones last a long time, but they wear out.

should run a lot longer than 1000

what brand ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy 2 new bolts and hold a reliable bolt in reserve; chuck that one in the trash - it's an accident waiting to happen.  If you were to shoot it failure could be sudden and catastrophic; damage to the upper is likely and injury to you is possible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the replies. I was planning to buy a new one but wasn't sure if it was worth shooting this one to failure or not. Consensus seems to be to toss it. I'm not sure who the maker is. The gun is from Precision Reflex Inc. Great gun, super accurate, going to fire off an email to them because it shouldn't have failed this soon I wouldn't think.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe they will replace it under warranty.
View Quote
That's exactly what they are going to go!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]
How tight is the cam pin? I would think that it could be loose and caused that. Cam pin
too small or the hole is too big?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How tight is the cam pin? I would think that it could be loose and caused that. Cam pin
too small or the hole is too big?
View Quote
Hmm. Nothing obvious, to me. I could always measure it. Any idea what the size/tolerance should be?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]
What manufacturer?  Just toss it.   Bolts are cheap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The edge around the area the cam pin enters is not normally a sharp abrupt edge on most of the bolts I have purchased. I think the drawings might show a radius along and around the edge of that side of the bolt. Not saying it would make a difference in what happened. That could be material or treatment or even some other thing that caused that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]
That happened with my bolt on my first AR build, with a BCG I bought from Tom's Tactical.  When I showed it to them, they replaced it for free, and quickly.  The 2nd bolt has worked perfect.  Get whoever you bought it from to replace it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get whoever you bought it from to replace it.
Umm...

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. I was planning to buy a new one but wasn't sure if it was worth shooting this one to failure or not. Consensus seems to be to toss it. I'm not sure who the maker is. The gun is from Precision Reflex Inc. Great gun, super accurate, going to fire off an email to them because it shouldn't have failed this soon I wouldn't think.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Mfg should replace it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#26]
When bolts eventually wear out and break, it's usually either a crack there or a bolt lug shearing off.

It's odd that it's chipped, not cracked or just outright broken in half. I don't think I've seen a chip like that before in that location.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The bolt looks brand new.
The only way I see this happening is if someone tried to hammer the cam pin all the way through.
The hole for the cam pin is smaller on one end to help keep from putting it in the carrier backwards.
I think there is more to this story than what has been said.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Paperweight
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#29]
i have cracked two bolts. Both cracked right where your chip is located. Mine did not chip just cracked on one side. Get you a new one of better quality.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Do I even need to say.... toss that bolt in to the weeds As Fas As You Can!!!!  Why shoot a rifle that is Known to fail at Any time on the very next round!?!?

H
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunately that is one of the highest stress point of the rifle aside from the throat/chamber area. The job of that piece is to contain the cam pin and rotate to unlock the bolt. The cam pin happens to be the highest stress point of the bolt carrier group because it needs to violently unlock and rotate to begin the rear ward motion then when it slams back home, it has to lock the bolt back into place. That's a lot of stress to a small part area.

With that said, if you shown anything else having a small chip in it, I'd say maybe it is okay. But anything with the cam pin needs to be replaced ASAP. I also recommend in the future put more heavy lubrication into that area and also spend a bit more time cleaning that area. I always spend a bit of extra time focusing on the cam pin by putting extra amount of grease to cover the entire camp pin before putting it back into place.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/MsvWBI4.jpg
View Quote
hell no, replace that.

Doesn't appear to be a 5.56 bolt either.  Maybe a Grendel or x39.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top