Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/13/2021 7:47:46 PM EST
I bought a Linear Compensator for my AR Pistol. I couldn't get the standard birdcage off my barrel and scuffed it up trying. Before damaging something I don't plan on replacing I figured I'd cough up the $30 a local gun shop wanted to install it for me.

Picked it up today. They clocked it 90 degrees off so the MFG text is on the side instead of the bottom, and the logo appears top and bottom instead of left and right.

I didn't say anything when picking it up because I'm not confrontational. I just figured this style of muzzle device would be easy enough to adjust at home myself with 2 wrenches.

Instead, I ended up scuffing the nut and being unsuccessful in breaking the dang thing loose. So now I have a Compensator misclocked AND a scuffed nut.

I'm now a little too embarrassed to go back there to have them correct it, and would rather just see if someone else can rotate it for me for a few bucks.

Anyone know someone around Orlando FL that can loosen this thing, clock it properly, and tighten it back down? The other gunsmith I know of wants $55 which is a little bit nuts IMO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:51:45 PM EST
Don’t be embarrassed. We all make mistakes. Take it back offer to pay again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:37:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mike1261:
I bought a Linear Compensator for my AR Pistol. I couldn't get the standard birdcage off my barrel and scuffed it up trying. Before damaging something I don't plan on replacing I figured I'd cough up the $30 a local gun shop wanted to install it for me.

Picked it up today. They clocked it 90 degrees off so the MFG text is on the side instead of the bottom, and the logo appears top and bottom instead of left and right.

I didn't say anything when picking it up because I'm not confrontational. I just figured this style of muzzle device would be easy enough to adjust at home myself with 2 wrenches.

Instead, I ended up scuffing the nut and being unsuccessful in breaking the dang thing loose. So now I have a Compensator misclocked AND a scuffed nut.

I'm now a little too embarrassed to go back there to have them correct it, and would rather just see if someone else can rotate it for me for a few bucks.

Anyone know someone around Orlando FL that can loosen this thing, clock it properly, and tighten it back down? The other gunsmith I know of wants $55 which is a little bit nuts IMO.
View Quote

take it back and tell them they put it on all cockeyed and scuffed the nut too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:55:31 PM EST
Go to your Hometown forum and I'm sure there will be a few people willing to help you or answer your questions.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:41:04 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Renodweller:

take it back and tell them they put it on all cockeyed and scuffed the nut too.
View Quote

Yes, nothing like screwing something up, then lying about it expecting someone to fix your screw up.  Yes, they clocked it wrong but trying to blame them for the scuffing would be a really dick move.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:01:06 PM EST
Make barrel clamps out of some wood blocks and do it yourself for a few bucks
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:18:51 PM EST
I've gotten good service with The Armories, they helped me rebarrel an upper once when I didn't realize that it needed to be thermo-fitted.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:44:32 PM EST
Thanks y'all!

I figured since I damaged the nut anyway (and ordered a new one for $15) that as long as I don't scratch the comp itself I can give it another crack.

The guys that built my AR suggested using a thick plastic over it instead of tape to protect the surface.

I cracked the dang thing loose, clocked it correctly and loosely tightened it so I can easily replace the damaged nut when it arrives.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:59:12 PM EST
compass lake engineering
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:12:16 PM EST
I think you've already found a cheap gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:32:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By jbmillard:
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:43:21 PM EST
Couple shops north of orlando, off I4. PM me if you are still looking.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:54:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By jbmillard:
View Quote

Yup!!   Two words that should never be side by side !!
Not near my stuff!!

H
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:36:43 PM EST
Where in central florida are you located?

William in Cocoa
Top Top