BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2023 8:07:04 AM EDT
Comparison between the two:

Badger Ord, ordered for the large tac latch, SKU 249-40:
https://www.badgerordnance.com/charging-handle-with-gen-1-tactical-latch.html

PSA charging handle that came on my H&R retro 654 carbine, it's black and I'm assuming it's SKU 24080:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-m16-7075-t6-forged-mil-spec-charging-handle-24080.html

I was taking apart the Badger CH with the intention of swapping out the roll pin for a solid steel pin, considering the risk of the large tac latch breaking the roll pin inside. I practiced removing the roll pin and inserting a solid steel pin (1/16" tip broken off a carbon steel punch which I will stake into the CH hole) with the PSA CH that came with my 654 carbine before I started messing with the Badger CH. To my surprise it appears the PSA charging handle is thicker than the Badger Ord handle at the thin walled parts. Additionally, the latch spring included in the PSA CH has many more coils and takes more force to compress than the Badger CH, so basically it looks like the PSA CH body is thicker and comes with a stronger spring.

Additionally, the PSA handle *tings* in a lower pitch when tapped against the top of hammer. I was testing if one of them may be 6061 vs 7075 aluminum, obviously preferring the 7075. Telltale sign of 7075 vs 6061 is the pitch of the *ting*, or so I've read on M4carbine.

Does anyone know if Badger Ord sends out their (specifically) Gen 1 Tac Latch charging handles with 6061 or 7075 alum bodies? I'd like to know what my Badger Ord CH body is made of. The latch itself is steel.

Is this kind of comparison nitpicky and of little consequence? Maybe. But money's tight and I gotta entertain myself.

I don't have enough post count to include photos so here's the imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/5inFH0f
VP
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#1]
Back in the 90s I bought a set of Badger Ordnance Scope Rings - big beefy tactical type rings. First time I mounted a scope on them they self destructed as it they were made of pot metal (these were supposedly steel rings).  I did get a refund - can't recall if I bought them direct or thru Brownells.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
"Telltale sign of 7075 vs 6061 is the pitch of the *ting*"

Does this require an ear for music?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

My understanding is just hearing a different pitch relative to each other. I mean you can hear the difference between Beyonce and McGraw singing can't you?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
Back in the 90s I bought a set of Badger Ordnance Scope Rings - big beefy tactical type rings. First time I mounted a scope on them they self destructed as it they were made of pot metal (these were supposedly steel rings).  I did get a refund - can't recall if I bought them direct or thru Brownells.
View Quote

How and why did they break?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 1:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#5]
Originally Posted By PillsburyDoughboy:

My understanding is just hearing a different pitch relative to each other. I mean you can hear the difference between Beyonce and McGraw singing can't you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

As someone that likes to play the drums, yes I can. Unfortunately, both those artists make me not like music... Beyonce more so than Tim McGraw. At least McGraw had some okay to "meh" music back in the 90's, as most country music at least was back then.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]

How and why did they break?
View Quote

They broke from normal screw tension when being installed.   Some kind of really defective steel - it was pathetic.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top