Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2021 1:29:20 PM EDT
I've been shooting ARs for decades but I only just discovered that the GI cleaning kit is not the same thread as the typical gun cleaning rods.

I got a chamber brush somewhere that would not fit my cleaning rod. I tested the brush with the GI cleaning kit in the buttstock of my AR (which I never used) and it fit.

Why is the GI cleaning kit a different thread? I don't remember where I got that chamber brush but I don't remember it having a different label.

But I got a new chamber brush that does fit my cleaning rod and it says "8/32".

Anyone know why the GI kit is different?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The rods have a substantial counterbore, probably to keep dummies from breaking the brush off at the thread.

Somebody makes an adapter for the USGI rod to take standard brushes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They make adapters to go each direction with the both thread brushes. I also know for a fact when the worn brush is taken off the adapters comes off with it and gets thrown away with the old brush.

The adapter that I use the most takes the standard thread brush and adapts it to the military thread  T handle.  It is so I can use a 308 chamber brush and  a 7.62 x39 chamber brush with the handle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the "GI Thread" if not 8-32? 8-36"?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It is kind of an 8-36. It has the thread portion then an unthreaded rebated portion that is not thread that screws into the rod. I would guess to strengthen the attachment between the two. I have had normal section just threaded brass and aluminum rods that broken off at the threads after time and use.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe it was made that way to push objects out of the bore.

In WW2 the garand was issued with a pull string that would break and get stuck in the barrel. Also when soldiers got into the field, sometimes mud or something gets stuck in the bore and they have no way to remove it.

So the extra length, I believe secures it a little better so one can push out any sort of obstruction.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been shooting ARs for decades but I only just discovered that the GI cleaning kit is not the same thread as the typical gun cleaning rods.

I got a chamber brush somewhere that would not fit my cleaning rod. I tested the brush with the GI cleaning kit in the buttstock of my AR (which I never used) and it fit.

Why is the GI cleaning kit a different thread? I don't remember where I got that chamber brush but I don't remember it having a different label.

But I got a new chamber brush that does fit my cleaning rod and it says "8/32".

Anyone know why the GI kit is different?
View Quote

Especially, if the threads are loose.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top