Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2023 10:26:14 PM EDT
I was gifted these recently. What's the consensus here with the tan followers, keep them or replace with Magpul grey followers instead?

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI mags:  Black followers, old, like early 90's at the latest.  Light green followers - 90's up until 2010-2011 or so.  Tan followers - the newest.  Newer followers have anti-tilt features that help with feeding of the 30-rd magazines.

Any color is fine, until it is not, or if you have lots of MagPul replacements.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
So leave as is, got it and thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have quite a few OKAY Industries USGI mags which I swapped the yellow followed to Magpul tans.
The Magpul seems much better than the yellow or old style followers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
That follower uses a stronger spring and they’re anti-tilt.

They are super reliable.  They’ve been around for almost 15 years now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]
They should be fine as is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Tan followers are ok. Hell, even the black followers are good as long as you're not running full auto all of the time
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tan followers are ok. Hell, even the black followers are good as long as you're not running full auto all of the time
View Quote

In regards to just the 30's, all the black followers magazines I have are all prebans and some have given me issues so they all were replaced with Magpuls. I never replaced the postban greens.

The tans are staying, people here have vetted them so it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Black followers caused me more malfunctions than any other element on an AR.  They will allow the base of the last few rounds to dip under the pick-up lug on occasion in a marginal mag, even on semi.

The green follower was the single biggest reliability upgrade in the rifle since the late 60s.
View Quote

Yea, I've heard that. And yet I never had a single issue while in the military firing several thousand rounds of live and blank ammo with those old adventure line black follower magazines.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top