Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2020 5:41:01 PM EDT
I’m looking to pick up a 15” M-Lok CF rail & I would like to be more greatly apprised to my options.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Lancer CF rail on one of my Sig 516s.  Very nice rail.

https://lancer-systems.com/product/lch5-carbon-handguard/
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Coda Evolution is the one I went with, really dig the attachment method.
Brigand Arms has their Carbon Black line, and Faxon has their own line of CF handguards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coda Evolution is the one I went with, really dig the attachment method.
Brigand Arms has their Carbon Black line, and Faxon has their own line of CF handguards.
View Quote
I am looking hard @ Coda. Do they install as easy as implied? I don’t have a ton of room (nor the budget) for a lot of tools, currently.
I’ve not heard of Brigand Arms.
I’m aware of Faxon but they seem chronically out-of-stock, not to mention steep.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Smoke Composites

https://www.smokecomposites.com/hand-guards
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am looking hard @ Coda. Do they install as easy as implied? I don’t have a ton of room (nor the budget) for a lot of tools, currently.
I’ve not heard of Brigand Arms.
I’m aware of Faxon but they seem chronically out-of-stock, not to mention steep.
View Quote
It's fairly easy, just gotta make sure you get the barrel nut cranked on to the right spec, then all you need are the keys they include to get the trunnion lined up, tightened up, and the probably tap the handguard onto the trunnion and install the screws.
Mine had a small bit of extra resin on the handguard which made it difficult to get off the trunnion, but it was nothing a good 10 minutes in the freezer couldn't handle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Coda, would buy it again at this point.  My sample of one had very tight tolerances and I wondered after assembly if I would be able to take it apart if the need arose since everything was tight upon assembly, well the need arose and it came a part without any real issue.

I also took a close at those mentioned above as well as the new really affordable offering from Tac-Star/Lyman products which is similar to the Lancer offering.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Smoke Composites

View Quote
I've long debated picking one of these up for a "SD" type build with recessed suppressor for subsonic .300BLK. I figure it would work well from a heat standpoint.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
subscribed.

gave up on FAXON being OOS forever

This is my old 6.8SPC carbine, with the old PRI carbon fiber.

I like it, especially in cold WX, as it doesn't feel as cold as aluminum

but want something skinny

@WriterClarkeBasic

@LastRitesBronze

What keeps with CODA from rotating/ twisting?

...like if it got banged up in a 3 gun match, or dropped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a friction clamp between the barrel nut and trunnion that keeps it from rotating. The trunnion (without the screws to tighten it down) requires a bit of effort to pull off the barrel nut, and I can't really imagine that it would shift when tightened down unless you are really trying to break it.

Nice rifle by the way. I initially built a 6.8 for my first AR, but decided it was better to run 5.56 for my purposes. Still have 100 or so rounds of S&B sitting in my desk.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

subscribed.

gave up on FAXON being OOS forever

https://i.imgur.com/hXPtv6r.jpg

@WriterClarkeBasic

@LastRitesBronze

What keeps with CODA from rotating/ twisting?

...like if it got banged up in a 3 gun match, or dropped.
View Quote
Let me know if you decide to part with that PRI rail. They’re dated and chonky but still one of my favorites, I’d slap it on my Dissipator.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a friction clamp between the barrel nut and trunnion that keeps it from rotating. The trunnion (without the screws to tighten it down) requires a bit of effort to pull off the barrel nut, and I can't really imagine that it would shift when tightened down unless you are really trying to break it.

Nice rifle by the way. I initially built a 6.8 for my first AR, but decided it was better to run 5.56 for my purposes. Still have 100 or so rounds of S&B sitting in my desk.
View Quote
eta: I have several MI genII rails which some had issues with usually not using their bonding agent.  The fit of those rails to the nut fail in comparison of this fit, my Coda was damn near a press fit installing the trunnion to the barrel nut.  That said I really the feel of the carbon fiber, perfect for a cold day out as Derek mentioned it really doesn't get cold.

I would expect the rail to break prior to the trunnion slipping on the nut, tolerances are very tight on my sample of one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The rail would definitely break before the trunnion and nut fail.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been looking at Coda for a while, but recently came across JAG Composites in the "Lightweight Parts List" thread. They claim to be quite a bit lighter than Coda if that matters to you. Currently OOS though...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Smoke Composites

View Quote
Never even heard of these guys... I use CF for my race guns and had been using Coda.

But I think I like these more... Looks like one of these will be going on the PCC I’m building for Nationals!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I like Brigand Arms, they're nice but quite pricey. At SHOT Show this year Lancer had their CF handguard on display and they are also introducing an optional attachment to fit a matching CF guard over a suppressor. I like that idea!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/hXPtv6r.jpg
View Quote
The PRI is an absolute classic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
How to carbon fiber rails really compare to their aluminum brethren in terms of durability, though?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How to carbon fiber rails really compare to their aluminum brethren in terms of durability, though?
View Quote
pretty sure, it's a lot stronger, but I'm not willing to run either over with a truck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Ad removed...VA-gunnut
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top