BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2018 5:28:43 PM EDT
What's your go to carbine course ammo? If you are going to put 1200 rds down over 2 days, what's your 5.56 choice? I've stacked on Federal LC XM193 but I always thought it seemed dirtier than PMC or PPU. Could be a misconception on my part though. I know most like Wolf Gold but would like to keep it 556 NATO.

Looking for sub $0.40 / rd on bulk pricing. So not cheap but not MK262 either.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
M193 or M855...no need for the 'spensive stuff.  Carbine courses are designed to inure shooting and handling skills so they become reflexive/Pavlovian.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal/LC or IMI XM193
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't some courses tell you what to run now?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't some courses tell you what to run now?
View Quote
No this one. Just no M855
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I normally just use Fed American Eagle .223....
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used Wolf Gold in one and IMI M193 in another.  I've stacked deep on both.  Really not much difference.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Either will be fine...

You should be able to shoot 600 rounds a day with nothing more than maybe a spritz of lube on the BCG.

You WILL Clean your AR at the end of Day One Very VERY Well...

Almost any Non Steel Core American 5.56 / .223 will run fine.

I'd stay away from anything steel cased for your training class.  If you run short and borrow some brass cased ammo, after shooting lots of steel cased ammo, you are asking for jams...

BIGGER_HAMMER

P.S. -Where you going for Training?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf Gold is warmer than most 223- not a problem. LC, PPU, IMI, PMC, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Might get me bashed, but if you can find it, Hornady 55gr training ammo is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Either will be fine...

You should be able to shoot 600 rounds a day with nothing more than maybe a spritz of lube on the BCG.

You WILL Clean your AR at the end of Day One Very VERY Well...

Almost any Non Steel Core American 5.56 / .223 will run fine.

I'd stay away from anything steel cased for your training class.  If you run short and borrow some brass cased ammo, after shooting lots of steel cased ammo, you are asking for jams...

BIGGER_HAMMER

P.S. -Where you going for Training?
View Quote
I went ahead and got more LC XM193 last night. I have never and never will run steel case through my guns.

Training is with VATA. It’s my first carbine course but I’ve taken several pistol courses with them. Great guys that seem to have realistic training curriculum.

VATA
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I used 1k rounds of LC xm193 in my last 2 classes.  I just lube up after day 1.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's your go to carbine course ammo? If you are going to put 1200 rds down over 2 days, what's your 5.56 choice? I've stacked on Federal LC XM193 but I always thought it seemed dirtier than PMC or PPU. Could be a misconception on my part though. I know most like Wolf Gold but would like to keep it 556 NATO.

View Quote
Why don't you shoot what already carry?

Train how you fight ............... all that crazy stuff.

That way you can have confidence in your SHTF/Carry/Duty stuff?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
IMI M193 for .24/rd delivered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why don't you shoot what already carry?

Train how you fight ............... all that crazy stuff.

That way you can have confidence in your SHTF/Carry/Duty stuff?
View Quote
Gets spendy...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolf Gold or Xm193
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Well that depends on what your load is........................

But then if you use XXXX for training why not use that for "the real thing?"

There's no point to finding out wwww brand ammo works great in your rifle, get zeros, and have confidence in it, only to switch to something you don't.  ??
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well that depends on what your load is........................

But then if you use XXXX for training why not use that for "the real thing?"

There's no point to finding out wwww brand ammo works great in your rifle, get zeros, and have confidence in it, only to switch to something you don't.  ??
View Quote
Some of this comes back to the type of class your shooting. A high round count close in cqb type class doesn't need 75gr TAP or M855A1. M193 will provide the training needed at far less cost. Generally you won't need to re-zero either.

Anything shot over distance for accuracy, will need the accurate ammunition your zeroed with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The imi for 0.24 per round lately would be it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The only gun I run Steel cased ammo is an AK, because it was meant for Steel Cased ammo.

A lot of people will argue that with the cost savings on Steel Cased, you can offset the faster barrel wear (rom bi-metalic bullets) and possible damage to bolt / extractor.

I'd rather run what I already run and avoid the potential problems that steel can cause over time.

Yes, it does cost less.

Yes, if you shoot a LOT of it (vs. brass) you could save enough money over 5,000 - 10,000 rounds to offset a new barrel / Bolt.

But if you are paying for training and don't want to be "That Guy" who keeps mucking up and slowing down the class because you are using a lot of the instructors time due to "issues" ...  I'd advise use in training what you would use in Serious Times.   Your training will show you what gear really works well, and what gear sounded good at the time, but just doesn't cut it in the real world...

Good Luck & Good Training!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Cheapest that'll cycle your gun as long as the range allows it. Personally, I think you can do most carbine class training shooting .22 or 9mm, as long as they are reliable.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
This course is CQB to 100 meters. My HD round is Black Hills MK262 or TAP 75 gr. No way I'm dropping $1000 on ammo for a carbine course to learn fundamentals and tactics.

I'm thinking train with LC 193 which is my SHTF ammo. I'll zero my carbine with it before the course. After the course, ill zero it back with MK262. IME, it doesn't make much difference inside 100 yards anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I would rather have 223 than 556 for a course, assuming it will run my carbine.

I have no idea if this is valid thinking or not, but in my mind, 556 means more pressure, heat, and bbl wear, as compared to Wolf Gold or a 223 round.  There's probably not enough difference to measure, but most of my carbines are overgassed anyway, and I don't have any reason to run hotter ammo just to shoot up a bunch of cardboard at 7 yards.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have used both, steel and brass and purposely so.  If you can't get through a class with just steel, then you need a new set up.

I stack IMI, Wolf Gold and AE 5.56 as well as wolf steel.

You don't know what you will need to use, make sure your main tool will function with everything
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This course is CQB to 100 meters. My HD round is Black Hills MK262 or TAP 75 gr. No way I'm dropping $1000 on ammo for a carbine course to learn fundamentals and tactics.

I'm thinking train with LC 193 which is my SHTF ammo. I'll zero my carbine with it before the course. After the course, ill zero it back with MK262. IME, it doesn't make much difference inside 100 yards anyhow.
View Quote
If lc m193 is your shtf stuff then yes, shoot it!

Shoot your oldest lot and replace it with the fresh bought stuff........... Done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If lc m193 is your shtf stuff then yes, shoot it!

Shoot your oldest lot and replace it with the fresh bought stuff........... Done.
View Quote
This right here is what I’ve decided on. My oldest LC right now is 2013. Not old but I can get rid of most of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Speaking for myself, I'd use something that I don't mind losing brass. I want all of my LC, Winchester, and Hornady brass back. They can keep the Federal, RP, PPU, PMC, or IMI.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I don’t reload so don’t really care about brass. Especially for 5.56. I do pick up my Hornady 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Creedmoor brass though. Maybe I’ll get into it one day.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, you'll like this...

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/500-round-case-223-rem-silver-bear-62-grain-hollow-point-ammo-zinc-plated-ste
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally, if I wasn't rotating out older ammo in my class and buying new ammo just to shoot for a class I'd either buy the IMI or Wolf Gold mentioned earlier. Both reasonably priced, brass cased ammo that has a long track record of simply working across many different types of guns in all conditions.

Good ammo makes classes far more productive- if there is some issue with function- you know it's either something you're doing or some issue with the rifle, if you aren't hitting accurately- it's one less thing to try and diagnose....Either of those issues will take a lot of fun out of your class and your mind off of what you are supposed to be doing. Just eliminate that variable by using good ammo with a proven record and have a good time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Personally, if I wasn't rotating out older ammo in my class and buying new ammo just to shoot for a class I'd either buy the IMI or Wolf Gold mentioned earlier. Both reasonably priced, brass cased ammo that has a long track record of simply working across many different types of guns in all conditions.

Good ammo makes classes far more productive- if there is some issue with function- you know it's either something you're doing or some issue with the rifle, if you aren't hitting accurately- it's one less thing to try and diagnose....Either of those issues will take a lot of fun out of your class and your mind off of what you are supposed to be doing. Just eliminate that variable by using good ammo with a proven record and have a good time.
View Quote
I agree. I have some 77gr IMI and it’s been good. But I think I’m going with LC XM193. I’m assuming it on the higher end of reliable training ammo?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hornady 75gr Steel match is accurate and reliable... I've never had an issue after 1,000's of rounds through numerous AR's.

If you have a longer range class... consider it.
View Quote
I've got a few cases of it, been saving it for...something worthwhile. I even have a case of Lapua 223, back when it was being sold cheaper than the brass once fired itself was worth

Lately I've been shooting nothing but the AE mil grade using 5.56 primers 55 223 because I have so much of it. Don't want the brass back and it's really good, not better than match but more than good enough for carbine courses.

I probably will bust open this case of Federal 77 5.56 and use that next. Not even close to FGMM 77.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Careful with the 5.56 FC 262 77gr... mine popped some primers.

And how did the Lapua 55gr FMJ shoot for you ? ( accuracy wise )
View Quote
So far, one box of it didn't show those signs but I am aware of it. I think that I remember that thread where this was discussed and I was intently lurking reading every detail because it was kinda alarming.

I compared the Lapua 55 grain to Federal M193, Wolf Gold 55 223, AE 55 223, Remington 55 223, and Winchester M193.

The results was disappointing as I didn't see what all the rage was about because there wasn't much deviation in the groups of ten each on two strings between them all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wolf Gold or Xm193
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#36]
A carbine course?  Any good M193 clone.   A lot of places don't want M855 because it dings up their steel.

DMR stuff, something reliable and accurate enough to shoot as far as you need to.  I go straight to MK262Mod1 clones.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just use Wolf steel case. The bimetal jackets are nice at night on steel for visual confirmation. It is also either policed with a stereo magnet, or left in situ, after the course.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I have used wolf gold, wolf performance, xm 193, and imi 193 without any issues from any of them in any of my classes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Well the course was a success and the XM193 did the trick. Actually shot some very impressive 25 and 50 meter groups. Only issue was trying to load stripper clips into a PMag. Not the most ideal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well the course was a success and the XM193 did the trick. Actually shot some very impressive 25 and 50 meter groups. Only issue was trying to load stripper clips into a PMag. Not the most ideal.
View Quote
I have one of those mashers for stripper clips, works with all AR mags: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/197548/ncstar-stripper-clip-magazine-loader-ar-15-223-remington-556x45mm

Beats using a spoon every time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Glad to hear it! To me, the investment in a class- travel hassles, time out of office and away from family, tuition, meals on the road, gas, maybe a flight and car rental, hotel for several days............The $50 I save on a case of SHIT ammo VS. Known Good Brass Case M193.....Not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have used both, steel and brass and purposely so.  If you can't get through a class with just steel, then you need a new set up.

You don't know what you will need to use, make sure your main tool will function with everything
View Quote
This. Guys hating on steel are hilarious. You don’t know what you’ll be forced to use if shtf does indeed come. What if you have to leave your house ASAP and don’t have time to load up your 8,000 rounds and only snag one AR and there is only steel where you end up?  I guess you could cross that bridge when it comes but why not do it now, under no pressure?

And I’m sorry, I don’t care if it’s a KAC or LWRC or whatever. If it doesn’t run steel it’s just about useless for civilian shtf scenarios. Let’s face it, civis are in the mist obvious position to have to use steel if shit runs low. Gov entities won’t run dry before we will.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. Guys hating on steel are hilarious. You don’t know what you’ll be forced to use if shtf does indeed come. What if you have to leave your house ASAP and don’t have time to load up your 8,000 rounds and only snag one AR and there is only steel where you end up?  I guess you could cross that bridge when it comes but why not do it now, under no pressure?

And I’m sorry, I don’t care if it’s a KAC or LWRC or whatever. If it doesn’t run steel it’s just about useless for civilian shtf scenarios. Let’s face it, civis are in the mist obvious position to have to use steel if shit runs low. Gov entities won’t run dry before we will.
View Quote
Over gas the shit out of your gun and see how long it runs. But the good news is, it will run steel....
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#44]
We use hornady steel case training ammo at work. It's shot in colts and sig mcx sbrs and I've never had any mom related issues.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Over gas the shit out of your gun and see how long it runs. But the good news is, it will run steel....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol....stop, being overgassed is really only going to hurt in mag dumps but I suspect u know this.  But, he said nothing of overgassed.  Each of my rigs run steel, if they don't, they aren't worth it
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I ran PMC no problem.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I haven't done a carbine course in years but in the past I've had great luck with IMI M193, PMC Bronze, Federal XM193AF and the Walmart Federal 100rd value packs. If I took a course today, I know newer stuff like Wolf Gold, Magtech M193, and Barnaul Mil-Spec is good to go.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, I feel the same way. It seems that most people who have issues with steel cases sticking have low end, out of spec ARs, and they turn around to blame the lacquer coating "melting" (which does not happen at all). If anything, its the polymer coated garbage that tends to stick more since that coating sucks. My 2 BCMs eat steel like nothing, including the poly crap from Wolf and Tula. I've shot thousands of rounds of Barnaul Mil-Spec 223 without issue. I just love lacquer coated and sealed ammo, polymer works too but I just cant stand that coating.

In fact, there was one carbine course I did nearly 10 years where brass cased ammo failed me and slowed me and the class down. Federal American Eagle XM-193, had a popped primer that got lodged between the charging handle and gas key that locked up my rifle HARD. The instructor had to stop and help me take the weapon apart so we fix it. No issues afterwards but I stopped shooting that ammo afterwards. Years later, Freedom Munitions does the same shit but fortunately not at a carbine course, any ammo that causes primers to pop out is garbage in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol....stop, being overgassed is really only going to hurt in mag dumps but I suspect u know this.  But, he said nothing of overgassed.  Each of my rigs run steel, if they don't, they aren't worth it
View Quote
The simple fact is that most steel ammo is under powered. The chronograph doesn't lie. So, if the gun is properly gassed for milspec M193, how does it run well with under powered ammo? It doesn't, it can't. Then people bitch that their rifle doesn't run with shit ammo. So, the manufacturers cut the ports larger, this is a well known fact.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The simple fact is that most steel ammo is under powered. The chronograph doesn't lie. So, if the gun is properly gassed for milspec M193, how does it run well with under powered ammo? It doesn't, it can't. Then people bitch that their rifle doesn't run with shit ammo. So, the manufacturers cut the ports larger, this is a well known fact.
View Quote
Who cares
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, stop

3 or 4 o'clock, 150fps or so....doesn't matter and isn't resulting in failure or issues. If you have problems getting it up, go Viagra.  If you have problems with steel, get a new gun
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top