Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 6:50:47 PM EDT
I currently have a H2 buffer in my 16" carbine and it throws brass in the recommended 3:30-4:00 direction.   If I go to a heavier H3 buffer to help reduce recoil, will it work?  I don't want to add weight to the rifle to reduce the felt recoil - just wondering if a heavier buffer might help.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it alone.  Too heavy a buffer may cause cycling problems.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave it alone.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leave it alone.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, Consider a muzzle brake, or a different recoil pad, there are really good ones for various Magpul stocks.
View Quote
This is the way....(to lose your hearing but it works lol)
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The recoil doesn't bother me (i.e. hurt me) - the rifle just seems like a handful and I don't want it to beat itself to death.  But I did build it as a lightweight, so I should have expected that it would be a lively fellow.
I'll leave well enough alone and try playing around with less powder.
Thanks gentlemen.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
More reciprocating mass will increase felt recoil.

How big is your gas port?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I only use hydraulic buffers in AR pattern rifles.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Leave it and start lifting heavy things made of metal.

The gun is fine. Make you better.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I currently have a H2 buffer in my 16" carbine and it throws brass in the recommended 3:30-4:00 direction.   If I go to a heavier H3 buffer to help reduce recoil, will it work?  I don't want to add weight to the rifle to reduce the felt recoil - just wondering if a heavier buffer might help.
View Quote

A heavier buffer doesn't reduce recoil, it slows the entire recoil process.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]

I have chased the ejection pattern and clocking of the brass and I have a few AR's that dont follow the rules.  I have one H3 buffer in my collection and one that is 8 OZ in my Larue 308.  After that, every thing else is H or H2.  

NOTE:  I need to check the 8 OZ in the Larue, it is from Slash at Heavy Buffers and is the only way my 762 OBR will cycle suppressed.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing wrong with your gun. Leave it be and practice shooting with it. You'll gain more control over it with time. Not at all criticizing your ability. Just saying that with time you'll develop techniques to control muzzle climb and get back on target faster. As someone else mentioned, adding reciprocating mass doesn't reduce recoil. It just slows it down and spreads it out. Your shit sounds pretty well dialed in. Take the money you'd spend on swapping parts, buy ammo and practice with it. The more you use it the more it will just feel "right". Give it time to grow on you. It will
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with your gun. Leave it be and practice shooting with it. You'll gain more control over it with time. Not at all criticizing your ability. Just saying that with time you'll develop techniques to control muzzle climb and get back on target faster. As someone else mentioned, adding reciprocating mass doesn't reduce recoil. It just slows it down and spreads it out. Your shit sounds pretty well dialed in. Take the money you'd spend on swapping parts, buy ammo and practice with it. The more you use it the more it will just feel "right". Give it time to grow on you. It will
View Quote

I'm a Master level Service Rifle shooter with 16 points towards my D.R. badge, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the platform.  I reload and shoot over 2,000 rounds per year in my 15 lb A2 competition rifle, but this carbine is the first time I've been exposed to a lightweight AR15.  I'm not scared of it, it doesn't hurt me, and I know exactly how to control it - I'm just not accustomed to a rifle being so rambunctious.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm a Master level Service Rifle shooter with 16 points towards my D.R. badge, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the platform.  I reload and shoot over 2,000 rounds per year in my 15 lb A2 competition rifle, but this carbine is the first time I've been exposed to a lightweight AR15.  I'm not scared of it, it doesn't hurt me, and I know exactly how to control it - I'm just not accustomed to a rifle being so rambunctious.
View Quote
lol

Time to take the training wheels off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
. You dont have to defend your abilities. I'm not saying you can't shoot. A 15lb gun is not the same though. Take the time to learn and adapt to this one. A heavier buffer won't help. It's fine the way it is. It's just not what you're used to. A lighter gun will handle differently. Maybe watch some 3 gun match videos. Look at some of the ways they control their guns. Not saying theirs are featherweights, but it's more in line with what would help. There are a bazillion videos on YouTube about how to be a tactical badass with your AR. If you scroll through enough you might find 2 or 3 worth watching. Just saying it's a different approach than what you're used to.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top