Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2022 7:15:34 PM EDT
I just received a new PSA Dissipator upper assy. after wanting one for a long time.  Got one on PSA Freedom Week sale for a great price.  The problem is that Stevie Wonder could see that their FSB is canted to the left.  I am not quite ready to complete this build as I need to wait to afford more parts.  So I cannot test the upper to see if the front sight is workable with a rear sight.  I have assembled several ARs and this is my sixth.  I have used barrels and upper assemblies from Colt, RRA, Del-ton, DPMS, and Faxon.  This is the very first time I have ever had a canted FSB from any of them.  Is this just a PSA thing?  I heard the warnings about these coming from other PSA owners.

Anyway, I asking those who have more experience with these builds what to do?  Is there an easy fix for this that I could do?  It won't affect the gas block alignment since it is a mid-length nitrided barrel gas system.  Should I wait to complete my build before deciding the FSB is hopeless.  Or would you just send it back to PSA hoping they fix it or worse send another barreled upper that is canted so far left that it votes for AOC in the next election?  I really want this to work as I love the look. I don't want any hassles from PSA for sending it back after months and modifications I plan to do either.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.  

PSA I love the faux M16A lower you sent in my last order!  It was perfect for my last build!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA INDUSTRY FORUM

Send it back, let them right their wrong.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it back if you can.  
I had one and removed a little material from the index pin on the barrel.  It allowed it to rotate in the upper and realign the gas tube.  I put a small piece of metal on the opposite side of the index pin to keep it from,moving when I tightened the barrel nut down to the upper.
There was enough slop in the feed ramps that it didn't affect feed and function.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah but the gas block and gas tube are in perfect alignment.  I don't want to screw that up just to get the FSB aligned.  Fix one problem just to possibly create another.

Edit:  Ok PSA is sending me the return info and shipping label.  All I had to do was listen to some soothing cello music over and over and over again for two hours.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's a chain reaction when you start messing with it.  Adco repinned a FSB for me once, but with the added cost, it just isn't going to be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah but the gas block and gas tube are in perfect alignment.  I don't want to screw that up just to get the FSB aligned.  Fix one problem just to possibly create another.

Edit:  Ok PSA is sending me the return info and shipping label.  All I had to do was listen to some soothing cello music over and over and over again for two hours.
View Quote

If it's new, send it back.  They are good to work with

@josiah
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I did entertain the thought of doing the sight myself.  Knocking out the FSB taper pins realigning the sight then kissing the pin holes with a taper reamer and reinstalling the pins.  I figured there was enough material there to do it and not much to remove to get the 3/8" I needed.  I had installed a MagPul BUIS on the flattop upper, centered the peep and sure enough I was looking at the right sight protector rather than the sight pin.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I did entertain the thought of doing the sight myself.  Knocking out the FSB taper pins realigning the sight then kissing the pin holes with a taper reamer and reinstalling the pins.  I figured there was enough material there to do it and not much to remove to get the 3/8" I needed.  I had installed a MagPul BUIS on the flattop upper, centered the peep and sure enough I was looking at the right sight protector rather than the sight pin.
View Quote

If you want a project, great, but that is a man'f f'up and it should be taken care of on their dime.  You could always thread the pin holes and use set screws and make an adjustable FSB.  I'd make them make it right, it's only right.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bruh...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Update!

Received a replacement today.  Thank you, PSA, for the quick turn around time in sending me an upper with a front sight ... that is still canted to the left.  Not as bad as the one I sent in but still.  
At least you gave it the good 'ol college fail!  It will be workable but I will not be considering PSA as my first choice when choosing AR parts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well Update!

Received a replacement today.  Thank you, PSA, for the quick turn around time in sending me an upper with a front sight ... that is still canted to the left.  Not as bad as the one I sent in but still.  
At least you gave it the good 'ol college fail!  It will be workable but I will not be considering PSA as my first choice when choosing AR parts.
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Windham (back then Bushmaster) still sells them. Anyone have experience with theirs?

I want to build a Dissy because I never did when they were popular, but I do like the look especially with Magpul furniture.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
No experience with Windam Weaponry Dissipator barrels.  They just were not what I wanted.  Both of their current offerings had either a Heavy barrel profile or a M4 profile barrel with a carbine length gas system.  I wanted at least a mid-length gas system and something lighter than a Hbar.  I would have preferred the 1/9 twist as I shoot mostly 55gr. ammo.  I am told that WW does make a quality product.  Just not what I wanted.  

I wish someone had a lighter A1 profile barrel available in a dissipator.  I believe Del-ton had such a thing at one time.  I've had good experience with A1 and A2 20inch barrels from them in 1/9.  They only offer their Dissy in an Hbar form now.  I started building my ARs in the day when Hbars were all you needed and A1 light profile barrels were considered inaccurate.  I'm starting to embraced the better quality, modern light barrels for my future builds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Windham (back then Bushmaster) still sells them. Anyone have experience with theirs?

I want to build a Dissy because I never did when they were popular, but I do like the look especially with Magpul furniture.
View Quote

I have a Windham Bushmaster factory dissipator upper and it's an awesome shooter, they used A2 upper receivers back then. The only negative about the older Bushmaster was sometimes the staking on the bolt carrier gas key was a bit lighter than today's milspec carriers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top