Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2021 1:35:59 PM EDT
If it slips while leaning against the wall and hits the floor? Have a new A2 that I was taking out of the case to put away, and I leaned it up against the wall for a second. It slipped and hit the concrete floor full force.

Nothing is obviously damaged, but looks like the thumb screws of the removable carry handle took the brunt of the force.

I know firing the rifle exposes it to extreme forces, but from a different perspective. Any concern?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
On a Mil-Spec rifle, that shouldn't do anything except perhaps exterior finish.

combat is hard on a gun - usually on a fall, the optics are affected (electronics, Glass, Batteries) or if the rifle fell upon the working parts of the iron sight.  Sounds like yours fell on the knob, which isn't like it fell top down upon the top of the rear sight.

Should be No Big Dear...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR is built and designed to take far worse than falling over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn’t have any optics, and appears to have hit on the side and not on the A2 front sight or the top of the carry handle/rear site. Just some scrapes to the side of the carry handle and thumb screws.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I figured. Just literally a brand new rifle that I just got back from the range trying out. My fault for not being more careful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Every scratch gives it more personality...
Don't be too upset about it - your rifle is fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the military would not be using it if it was that fragile.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Just last night my dog knocked oner my 6721 which is leaning against the wall by the back door, it's there on coyote duty.

The rifle has a full mag and a (gasp) EoTech 512 on it.  Other than scaring the dog, the rifle, the optic, and the wood floor are all still as they should be.

ETA. The scout light emerged unscathed also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
No doubt it is ruined. Send it to me for a proper disposal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Its fine.  Worst case scenario you might have bump the zero off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No doubt it is ruined. Send it to me for a proper disposal.
View Quote

????????????
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Look like this?

Attachment Attached File

If not, you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Most likely no damage other than cosmetic.

The number of GIs (late 60s/early 70s) in basic training having to do pushups after the nylon sling clamp came loose and took a dive when at sling arms, at worst put an ugly mark on the flash suppressor.

...and the recruit on the DIs shit list for a few days!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Fall damage is an unseen enemy. Send to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
You should throw it down the driveway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

There must be a story here somewhere. ??
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to be hyper-critical, but I feel like this is why the gun grabber crowd keeps calling ARs "weapons of war", "assault rifles", and military rifles.
We do this to ourselves.
I can't imagine a real soldier using or getting issued an actual AR15;  sure, exterior design-wise, they're nearly identical to the M4, the real differences are not obvious, like the full auto mechanics, the better barrel, etc.. but anyone reading this who didn't know better, and there are plenty of similar comments around on the 'net, would get the idea that the AR15 is in fact a military grade weapon.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not to be hyper-critical, but I feel like this is why the gun grabber crowd keeps calling ARs "weapons of war", "assault rifles", and military rifles.
We do this to ourselves.
I can't imagine a real soldier firing an actual AR15;  sure, exterior design-wise, they're nearly identical to the M4, the real differences are not obvious, like the full auto mechanics, the better barrel, etc.. but anyone reading this who didn't know better, and there are plenty of similar comments around on the 'net, would get the idea that the AR15 is in fact a military grade weapon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We do this to ourselves.
I can't imagine a real soldier firing an actual AR15;  sure, exterior design-wise, they're nearly identical to the M4, the real differences are not obvious, like the full auto mechanics, the better barrel, etc.. but anyone reading this who didn't know better, and there are plenty of similar comments around on the 'net, would get the idea that the AR15 is in fact a military grade weapon.

Except for the select fire parts they are essentially the same rifle.

edit to add:  As far as barrels go, many AR15's actually have better barrels than the military uses.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't sweat it with an AR.

According to the ordinance reports, you could dent a Stg44 enough to make it not function by tipping it over just right on concrete.  Maybe true, maybe just not invented here bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I mean I do have some "nice" rifles. That obviously I want to keep them as nice as possible. But I try to avoid any 'museum' levels of quality. That's just too much stress for me to handle, lol.
But beyond that for my AR's and 'use guns' .......I actually like some wear on my rifle, lol.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Except for the select fire parts they are essentially the same rifle.
View Quote

I thought the barrel was also different, to be able to withstand the heat and torture of full auto fire.
I saw a vid where they melted an AR15 barrel with a full auto conversion. Iraqvetern8888 I think it was ..?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought the barrel was also different, to be able to withstand the heat and torture of full auto fire.
I saw a vid where they melted an AR15 barrel with a full auto conversion. Iraqvetern8888 I think it was ..?
View Quote
Many AR15 barrels are milspec or better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Napoleon_Tannerite...

Wanted to give his AR-15 the "Combat look", so he thought that throwing it up and down the driveway a few times would give it the Battlefield Pick Up look.

He went into the Air Force to be a AWACs Pilot...   America's "Best & Brightest..."
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Napoleon_Tannerite...

Wanted to give his AR-15 the "Combat look", so he thought that throwing it up and down the driveway a few times would give it the Battlefield Pick Up look.

He went into the Air Force to be a AWACs Pilot...   America's "Best & Brightest..."
View Quote
Arfcom legend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought the barrel was also different, to be able to withstand the heat and torture of full auto fire. I saw a vid where they melted an AR15 barrel with a full auto conversion. Iraqvetern8888 I think it was ..?
View Quote

Barrels can be swapped between M16/M4 and most AR's.  The M4A1 received a heavier barrel than the earlier M4 to increase the number of magazines that could be dumped before the barrel failed.

Most AR's these days can be made full auto with a wire coat hangar in about 5 minutes.

Iraqveteran8888 did a meltdown video and popped a barrel, but he was using a sub par barrel for full auto.  The ones I've built for full auto use would have went many more rounds before failing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Be sure to salute at the PX!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Front Leaning Rest Position!!!!

Move!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
This is why I keep a black Office Depot permanent marker in my cleaning box.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I know this is tech but this sums it up.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Barrels can be swapped between M16/M4 and most AR's.  The M4A1 received a heavier barrel than the earlier M4 to increase the number of magazines that could be dumped before the barrel failed.

Most AR's these days can be made full auto with a wire coat hangar in about 5 minutes.

Iraqveteran8888 did a meltdown video and popped a barrel, but he was using a sub par barrel for full auto.  The ones I've built for full auto use would have went many more rounds before failing.
View Quote

Gotcha,  thanks.  No difference in the way the receiver is cut either then I take it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Gotcha,  thanks.  No difference in the way the receiver is cut either then I take it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt/FN/.mil contract components can be purchased by civilians.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Upper receivers are generally the same.  Lower receivers vary.  Some have full M16 pockets and just lack a single hole for the sear pin.  More commonly they aren't cut as wide over the safety and require mill work before the M16 sear can fit into the lower.  Both types can be converted to full auto through a swiftlink or twisted and bent coat hangar.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Look like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/EwwGzswVIAEgwwc_jpg-1883990.JPG

If not, you're probably fine.
View Quote

I like the big orange "pay attention to me" muzzle lock just in case someone didn't notice the 30° bend in the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like the big orange "pay attention to me" muzzle lock just in case someone didn't notice the 30 bend in the barrel.
View Quote

That's a blank firing adapter and was probably on the M4 when the barrel got bent in training.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a friend that thought guns were fragile, to prove a point I unloaded my Beretta and threw it about 20 feet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Lol you have obviously never seen a rifle that's been through shock n vibe or jumble...
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The military is stuck with what ever was the cheapest in the bid list...
Murphy's laws of combat: #20. Never forget that your weapon is made by the lowest bidder.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like the big orange "pay attention to me" muzzle lock just in case someone didn't notice the 30° bend in the barrel.
View Quote

Quoted:

That's a blank firing adapter and was probably on the M4 when the barrel got bent in training.
View Quote

^^^^^What he said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know this is tech but this sums it up.
https://media.giphy.com/media/JrkaITZdzBJGHRX8sY/giphy.gif
View Quote

OMG...that’s me. ??

It’s that moment that a $1000 rifle slams onto the concrete floor. ??
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]
It happens. Knock off the dust and drive on.

If you could have seen the pile of rifles in the back of our HMMV picked up from the arms room prior to move out during an alert.......the HORROR!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It happens. Knock off the dust and drive on.

If you could have seen the pile of rifles in the back of our HMMV picked up from the arms room prior to move out during an alert.......the HORROR!!!!!!!
View Quote

Saw this posted in another thread.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#41]
A2 with a removable handle eh?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Yall better have the right serial number when you’re in formation in two minutes. To sign the roster, for the training, about rosters for formations during training.

Anyway, OP, your rifle is fine. If on the off chance that screwed it up, you didn’t want it anyway.

The rifle I smashed hard enough to break a bayonet and a stock on a tire, shot expert on qual day.

I would worry about cheap optics though. High end stuff, no sweat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#43]

I want to roll around naked in that>
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I would say the only concern about dropping the rifle would be damage to the crown/muzzle area. However, given the rifle is protected by a flash hider, it's very doubtful you'd damage this area unless you got really unlucky.

Otherwise, expensive optics or accessories would be my main concern during a drop.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We do this to ourselves.
I can't imagine a real soldier using or getting issued an actual AR15;  sure, exterior design-wise, they're nearly identical to the M4, the real differences are not obvious, like the full auto mechanics, the better barrel, etc.. but anyone reading this who didn't know better, and there are plenty of similar comments around on the 'net, would get the idea that the AR15 is in fact a military grade weapon.

View Quote

First of all, weapons of war are what are protected.

Second, every M4 and M16 is a type of AR15.

Third, stop trying to use PC type logic. Censoring ourselves won't do shit unless we can spend tens of millions on advertisements, movies, TV, streaming shows, comedians, a few bought politicians, and athletes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#47]
No it can take it no problem.  When I was in the Army I had a reel of wire about 50 pounds fall over on my M16.  It broke the hand guard and I was chewed out by the armor for breaking it. We were in a Gamma Goat I believe and the driver turned sharp.
The whole wire reel on a stand knocked my weapon over and landed on top of it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#48]
To correct that damage you need to drop it from a helicopter......
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#49]
If it got damaged from that, you don't want it anyway.  Maybe you're more of an AK or SKS type person?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top