Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2021 3:01:00 PM EDT
I have some medical issues keeping me out of work and to make a long story short, I need to offload some ammo locally. Problem is I don't know what exactly I have. It's 7.62x51mm, headstamp has the NATO mark, stamped "FN" and a 75-76 date, some have "7.62  FNB 82" etc. Ammo has the primer staked in three places, has sealant. Packed 25 to a white box, 40 boxes in a larger carboard with a sticker that says "FN 76 7.62x51".

Need to accurately represent the ammo, any idea what this is? A search for FN surplus ammo didn't amount to much.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
FN Belgian s77 ball, roughly equivalent to m80 ball

The 2 digit stamp is the date code
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it made in Portugal?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know where it's made, no markings on cardboard.

Thanks @gmbackus that helps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I can’t say for sure but the packaging looks similar to some South African I have. White labels on them?  I’m not at home.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FN Belgian s77 ball, roughly equivalent to m80 ball

The 2 digit stamp is the date code
View Quote

^ This.  FN makes good stuff.  I'd say in this market it's worth  .75 to $1 a round.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Odd to have mixed headstamps and years in the same box. Someone somewhere repacked this stuff.

That being said, it is Belgian (both FN and FNB factory codes).

Typically good quality but depends on storage conditions. I had some FN .45 ACP that must have been poorly stored  because it was about 50% duds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Odd to have mixed headstamps and years in the same box. Someone somewhere repacked this stuff.

That being said, it is Belgian (both FN and FNB factory codes).

Typically good quality but depends on storage conditions. I had some FN .45 ACP that must have been poorly stored  because it was about 50% duds.
View Quote
This covers it. Normally it is good ammo
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Fabrique Nationale aka FN Herstal. The original manufacturing plant is located in Herstal, Belgium. Same company that manufactured the FN FAL 7.62x51 used by numerous european countries as well as NATO countries. Also you may have heard of the Browning HiPower 9mm pistol. Originally
manufactured by FN and continued manufacture under Nazi control when Belgium was invaded and occupied during WWII.  Also can't leave out the FN SCAR
I've shot thousands of rounds of 76-77 FN without fail in M14 type rifles as well as FN FAL's and AR10's. Most likely berdan primed, primer and projectile were sealed.
FN Herstal is also the original designer of the military 5.56x45mm SS109 cartridge aka M855 although the US specs differ somewhat from the SS109.
My personal experience with FN or FNB marked 7.62x51 ball has been excellent. I would not hesitate to purchase more. I have not shot any of their 5.56mm but wouldn't hesitate to try it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top