Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2021 2:07:08 PM EDT
Building my first retro like build and I’m wondering if my gas and barrel I have sitting around will fit in one of the old retro carbine hand guards. Also, can I use the old carbine hand guards with a 16 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I take it you want to use CAR handguards (uses carbine length gas system). No , the gas hole in the barrel with a mid length gas system is several inches closer to muzzle, so the hand guards on a mid length gas system barrel are longer.

Orroe
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, thanks for letting me know. I guess I’m going to be putting a barrel and gas block up for sale on gunbroker
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
There are M4 round handguards for mid length gas system available, I personally have not seem skinny handguards (CAR-15) in that length. I talk to several people who has 16" mid length barrels on their carbine and said the rifle seem better balance.

Orroe
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you’re just going for retro-style rather than a clone/replica of something, these aren’t terrible:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1413

Personally I think a 16” middy has a lot going for it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’re just going for retro-style rather than a clone/replica of something, these aren’t terrible:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1413

Personally I think a 16” middy has a lot going for it.

View Quote

The RRA mid guards are the best of the bunch IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
yup, you can make yourself a nice looking clone using a mid length set up

like this one from another member here

or the one I did in the 6.8spc
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yup, you can make yourself a nice looking clone using a mid length set up

like this one from another member here
https://i.imgur.com/5csmuGE.jpg

or the one I did in the 6.8spc
https://i.imgur.com/6D8iCzY.jpg
View Quote

16" Barrels are better balanced and just look better on a midlength gas system, the barrel hangs way too far out on carbine length gas system.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Ignore the purple...  I made this because my son (who's literally mentally retarded) loves purple.

Middy has a balanced feel and look with a 16" barrel.

OP, drop me a PM, I think I have a spare set or two of skinny black middy handguards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
You are a god send. Thank you so much
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks good. Just don’t post that on Reddit or you’ll have tough guys shitting on it for no reason
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That looks good. Just don’t post that on Reddit or you’ll have tough guys shitting on it for no reason
View Quote

I am secure enough in my manhood that I can take internet toughguys.

I endured a lot of them over my pink-handled J-frame.  Those grips came from a breast cancer awareness raffle.  The tough guys don't know what to do when you say, "I'm saving the ta-ta's; what are YOU doing?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
don't sweat the color... while I usually use the standard black hg's (or gray) I use these on a post ban Bushmaster upper every once in awhile, just to shake up the manly men who complain about both the pink color and it being neutered

was using the pink A2 the other day when one of the rimfire speed shooters said something about the color....so, now I'm going to be using this 10/22

and you'd be surprised just how many girls come up to me at the range inquiring about my rifle, when they see the color...hoping the same will happen with the rimfire
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, Colt's original CAR-15 Prototype was a "mid-length" of sorts-

The gas system length is a bit longer than the modern  mid-length, but the idea is the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

your first mistake was going on reddit lmao
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You are a god send. Thank you so much
View Quote

To send them to you, I need an address...

I've dropped a private message for you to reply to.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top