Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 5:41:50 AM EDT
Anyone ever use the Cammenga EZ loading mags.  Don't really care about the loading feature; more interested in knowing if they're realiable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
They are complete garbage.  

It's as if the inventor looked at a PMag and said..."that's not complicated enough, hold my beer".

Takes twice as long to load as any other AR mag, rounds tend to pop out the top when you "charge" it...a complete shit show.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are complete garbage.  

It's as if the inventor looked at a PMag and said..."that's not complicated enough, hold my beer".

Takes twice as long to load as any other AR mag, rounds tend to pop out the top when you "charge" it...a complete shit show.
View Quote

You forgot they are also twice the price of Pmags
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Obviously you’ve NEVER used one!

They are well built and reliable, that being said I still rely on Okay Industries
View Quote

I’ve used them several times. First time I tried, as I said, several rounds popped out the top as I closed the magazine. Then the rounds were bound up and locked inside the magazine, wouldn’t feed.  

So, I tried again...thought maybe it was the way I stacked them in the mag. I took my time, being careful to stack them in a staggered pattern...still lost a few when I closed the mag, still locked up right. I even read the instructions.

Third try. Maybe I’ll only load 20...same deal.

Fourth time...maybe I’ll load them like my Pmags....nope.

Sent the magazine back as defective, got a replacement.

SAME THING.

POS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
They work as intended I’ve owned some for years. They are heavy but that’s to be expected, good mags. Very easy to clean also .
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot with a guy who uses them.  He says that they work 100% and I have no reason to doubt him. I've never seen him have any issues while using one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Cammenga mags are very durable tough steel mags (tougher than other steel mags I have tested).  Some people have trouble loading them the special way, but the mags still load from the top like any other AR mag so can just load them normally.  

The ONE advantage that this mag has, that no other mag has, is that it allows an AR to be loaded or topped off while the mag is still in the gun (the way you can with a top loaded rifle like an M14 or SKS).  That was always one drawback to the AR, in my opinion, if you only had one mag left, you had no way to top off the rifle.  The Cammenga mag allows you to do that, which is neat!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone ever use the Cammenga EZ loading mags.  Don't really care about the loading feature; more interested in knowing if they're realiable.
View Quote

I bought one years ago. Only one. Just wanted to try it out and it works. Never had an issue or failure. In fact, I grabbed it today on my way out the door to the range since it was next in the rotation. Just never came across anymore at my local shop, but I'd buy more if I see them. Since I have an assload of other magazines I just never really give it much thought.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a couple when they first hit the streets well over a decade ago.  Not a fan then, still not a fan.  I cannot recall every actually shooting them but I found loading them too difficult.  To refresh my thoughts, I just went down to check them out.  My two are so freaking stiff that sliding down the front of the mag requires me to invert the magazine, rest the top front edge against something solid and using both hands to push down on the body.  The follower, when pushed all the way down, locks at the bottom.  Herein lies my biggest gripe.  If you lock the follower all the way down, then push the front of the mag all the way up, if the magazine is empty and your finger is over top of the follower, prepare for blood blisters.  The follower snaps up with such force that if it hits your finger you are going to get hurt.  Magazines are like knives, they are not suppose to hurt the user.  The front of the feed lips on my two are needle sharp also and need to be smoothed out also.  I'd do that if I ever used them.  And as far as topping off the mag when the mag is still in the rifle?  Not on my two.  I just tried as hard as I could to retract the front of the magazine with it in the rifle.  Not going to happen.  If it requires a gorilla to operate them, screw that.  Yes, it can be loaded from the top, so for what reason did you spend your money?   An over weight magazine with features built into it that you do not or cannot use?  That doesn't make any since at all.  There are lots of solid tough magazines out there, so no points for that.
I bought those two, and after refreshing my memory with those magazines I clearly see why I did not buy any more, and why I never used them.  Give me OKAY and Lancers any day of the week over those POS.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem with these mags was the price was not  brought in with other mags on the market that were reliable and a favorite with gun owners.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cammenga replaced all of the first Gen magazines, I had 27 of them, you ought to exchange them.
View Quote

I took your advice and contacted them, letting them know that I really did not expect them to replace them since they are so old and first generation, even though they were unused.  It's been since you first suggested I contact them and nothing yet.  I did not expect them to replace them, but I did expect a reply.

I have roughly two dozen HK Maritime mags that I bought when they first came out and while I do not shoot them very much and I don't leave them loaded, I have never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
True, but they are not 100% POS lest mine would not still be working with 100% satisfaction when I use them, which granted, is not much because I mostly use 20 round magazines but when I do use a 30 R HK, they have never let me down.  Maybe tomorrow they will, after all they are quite old by now and maybe they are are POS for military use and by military standards of testing, but for 99% of the guys who have them they should not just toss them out because some military test or some internet guy says they are POS and not up to military standards.  I have had a hell of a lot more trouble out of the highly esteemed Pmags (as in they won't feed at all) than I have ever had out of my HK mags.  In the wildcat calibers that I mostly shoot, Pmags are my worst nightmare even though they are prized by many here and it seems, the military.  Use what works for you and what is read on the internet may not apply at all to your particular circumstances.  That's all I'm saying.

ETA:  Cammenga finally got back in touch with me today, 5-26-21, and wanted pictures of the magazines.  Fair enough.  It looks like they might replace them and if they do, great, if not, that's OK too because they are roughly 15 years old.  Unused, but they are ancient.  Regardless of the outcome, they did get back in touch with me so they certainly are taking the product and customer service seriously.  Good on them!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Just an update from Cammenga.  They asked for photos of my two mags and I sent them.  A week or so went by with no reply so I sent the photos again.  In about two days they got back with me and wanted me to verify which mags I had.  I did and today, about a week later, the two new mags arrived.  
They are most certainly easier to open and can be opened without too much trouble with them in the rifle.  The old ones are still a royal PITA to open outside the rifle and impossible to open when in the rifle, so Cammenga has made some noticeable improvements.  The old mags were a dull gray all over, the two new ones, one was a dull black all over, the other was a dull black on the back part and a dull gray on the front part.  The finish was quite rough and it is not going to win any beauty contest, but cosmetics count for jack crap in my book so long as they work.  I will not get to live fire them for a while but cycling them through with a shortened firing pin and all was well.  My only complaint is the under side of the feed lips were rough and the section in front of the feed lips could cut you.  A few licks with a diamond impregnated rubber bullet tip on the Dremel and they are slick as a puppy's nose.
I often have to polish the under side of the feed lips and in front of them on most magazines.  The only two makes that I have not had to do that to in the last few years is Lancers and the OK Surefeed E2s, but while they are not as smooth as the Lancers they were not so rough that they'd cut your or mark up your brass.  I would not even think about using the Cammenga mags without polishing the lips because they were rough enough that I feel they would slow down feeding and scratch the cases at best and at worst, if your finger got inside the mag for what ever reason it could shave your knuckle off easily in the section in front of the feed lips.  I still say, magazines are NOT supposed to hurt the user.  The magazines locked in, locked the bolt back, and dropped free, so I really do not expect any feeding problems.  If you hear nothing back from me, all is as it should be.

While Cammenga's customer service was slow and they had to be reminded that there was still an issue to be resolved, they took care of it and I am very happy.  I thank the previous poster for recommending that I contact them in spite of those mags being so old and I really applaud Cammenga for taking care of a problem with 15+ year old mags.  Even though they had not been used, they were still way out of any reasonable warranty period so good on them for stepping up.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top