Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2022 12:54:28 PM EDT
I recently bought a CMMG M4 .22lr style upper..
It did not come with any magazines..
1. Does the CMMG conversion magazine work with this upper.. ?
2. Is there other magazines that work with this upper ?
3.Any tips or advice is appreciated with this upper..
Thanks again..
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
My three dedicated CMMG .22LR, pistols and rifle, a 4.5”, 9”, and a 20” (non CMMG barrel but uses a CMMG dedicated bolt), all use Black Dog 15 and 25 round mags.  The only problem I’ve had with the 25Rs are that they would not drop free until I sanded away some polymer from the offending areas.  Feeding, ejection, and firing have been flawless.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My three dedicated CMMG .22LR, pistols and rifle, a 4.5”, 9”, and a 20” (non CMMG barrel but uses a CMMG dedicated bolt), all use Black Dog 15 and 25 round mags.  The only problem I’ve had with the 25Rs are that they would not drop free until I sanded away some polymer from the offending areas.  Feeding, ejection, and firing have been flawless.
View Quote

Another thumbs up for Black Dog magazines. They work great.

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Black Dog magazines 20rd seem to work the best.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
BD mags are GTG, even the 50 rd. drum works great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently bought a CMMG M4 .22lr style upper..
It did not come with any magazines..
1. Does the CMMG conversion magazine work with this upper.. ?
2. Is there other magazines that work with this upper ?
3.Any tips or advice is appreciated with this upper..
Thanks again..
View Quote

I bought the Better Mag when I built my first, so use the S&W 15-22 mags.  I like the slider when it comes to loading, but other than that not sure if better than any of the others.  The LRBHO propper I suppose is a good thing as well if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the Black Dog stainless feed lip beam welded magazines, with a spritz of Hornady One Shot to occasionally lube the follower and follower track... I load 23 for Steel Challenge with my CMMG B unit... CCI SV
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said.....Black Dog magazines w/ ss lips work very well.

Get a loader at the same time from them.

Personally.....I prefer the black ones ....they seem a little more stout than the clear/opaque mags.

They also  have a great warranty, and will replace ones that go bad.

If you see yourself doing reloads and allowing the empty mag to hit the ground..... get some magpul type mag sleeves (or amazon/ebay knock-offs) to protect the bottom and corners of the mags.

They're cheap insurance against any damage.

Example.....

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the input.. I knew if anyone would have the information I was looking for it would the crew here..????
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I see a lot saying the BD with stainless steel lips are the way to go.  I question that as an absolute.  I have some stainless lipped BD mags for my old DPMS upper (ejector built into the mag) as well as 9 of the nylon lipped ones for my CMMG based firearms and I see no difference in them function wise.  If I ever wear one out, either way, I may alter my opinion but right now, I see no reason to buy the more expensive SS lipped mags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have not had any issues with CMMG; BDM (post the 2nd gen.) plastic lip, black and translucent; ProMag; or Ciener (which are all steel) Atchisson pattern .22 mags.  That said; I'm not user that shoots tens of thousands of rounds annual, I rotate mags so wear is spread out, and Ciener mags are not compatible with McFadden loaders.
Best of luck with whatever you pursue.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
if you got to shooting something like Steel Challenge, the round count will go up rapidly... I'm shooting about 1200 rounds a month... problems show up pretty quickly
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought 3 BD SS lips ... tested them out yesterday... they ran flawless... will buy more...????
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top