Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2021 4:47:12 PM EDT
Just wanted to post this for the masses.
I never had this happen before, never heard it happening before. The charge handle broke on my AR-22 Frankenstein gun in middle of a steel challenge practise shoot.  Right at the point the handle engages the CMMG bolt.  Jammed up things pretty good.

Anyone else have this happen to their rig?

Taccom 2" barrel, Spikes fake suppressor to get the length beyond SLR handguard.  Tailhook and a PA red dot on a ??riser. Old LaserDevices ITAL, all on an old BushyXM15 lower Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one from PSA snap clean off at the t point. Literally first time I charged the rifle. They sent me a new one, but I was pretty irritated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve seen post where the plastic CMMG charging handle has broken.   I use mil spec aluminum charging handles with my dedicated 22’s and conversion kits.  With my old Ciener 22 conversion I’d get a spent brass stuck in the firing pin channel.   The CMMG charging handle was designed to eliminate that stoppage but the plastic charging handle is another potential failure point as you discovered.

Bore Buddy sells a channel liner that fits in an aluminum AR-15 charging handle and keeps spent brass from getting stuck in the charging handle channel.   Once I discontinued using my Ciener conversion kit I quit getting those stoppages.    I use extended tactical latches on some of my aluminum charging handles and still no malfunctions.   I prefer the Aluminum charging handle to the plastic but there are members who had no durability issues with the plastic charging handle.   CMMG has good customer service and might warranty your charging handle.  Your plastic charging handle might not have been cast at the proper temperature or had some other defect.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve seen post where the plastic CMMG charging handle has broken.   I use mil spec aluminum charging handles with my dedicated 22’s and conversion kits.  With my old Ciener 22 conversion I’d get a spent brass stuck in the firing pin channel.   The CMMG charging handle was designed to eliminate that stoppage but the plastic charging handle is another potential failure point as you discovered.

Bore Buddy sells a channel liner that fits in an aluminum AR-15 charging handle and keeps spent brass from getting stuck in the charging handle channel.   Once I discontinued using my Ciener conversion kit I quit getting those stoppages.    I use extended tactical latches on some of my aluminum charging handles and still no malfunctions.   I prefer the Aluminum charging handle to the plastic but there are members who had no durability issues with the plastic charging handle.   CMMG has good customer service and might warranty your charging handle.  Your plastic charging handle might not have been cast at the proper temperature or had some other defect.
View Quote

Coincidentally I actually ordered that insert from bore buddy last week.  Came in an overall kit.  Its like it was meant to be.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually going to post a similar question.

I’ve seen a few of the plastic handles break, it’s not common but it happens.

I just dropped a scope on my .22 dedicated upper and was debating whether to swap an extended latch from one of my spare charging handles or just go with the Bore Buddy insert instead. I’ve not seen any posts that had malfunctions with the insert.

If anyone’s making an aluminum .22 charge handle my searches haven’t found one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, had the same exact thing happen about two weeks ago but I didn't even make it to the range.  I was simply function testing a new build and it broke after maybe the 4th pull.  Fortunately, RTBs customer service has always been phenomenal and they sent me a new one. Attachment Attached File

tAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd second Vascar2's observation.  I don't get brass stuck in my CH.

I read about these failures with some frequency.  Maybe polymer wasn't a good choice for this part.

Quoted:

If anyone’s making an aluminum .22 charge handle my searches haven’t found one.
View Quote

In a normal market, an ordinary aluminum CH costs less than the CMMG plastic one.  If a dedicated 22lr version were made in aluminum, you might not like the price.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
And that is why I never bought the polymer CMMG 22 charging handle. Out of the three AR22s I built, two have the Bore Buddy insert and the third is filled with Permatex RTV. I haven't had any issues with empty cases getting stuck since using the inserts or filling the one with RTV.  On my last build, I am using a Radian Raptor Ambi charging handle with a Bore Buddy insert.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice to know this won't happen on my BCA side charger
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine broke near the rear where the "handle" meets the rest of the CH.  I was just cycling it and it broke.  Never even got it to the range.  Replaced it with a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 with RTV to fill in the channel.

Also recently had a spare KAC extended CH that I used the Borebuddy channel liner and hope it performs well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine broke near the rear where the "handle" meets the rest of the CH.  I was just cycling it and it broke.  Never even got it to the range.  Replaced it with a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 with RTV to fill in the channel.

Also recently had a spare KAC extended CH that I used the Borebuddy channel liner and hope it performs well.
View Quote

I have not had any problems with the Bore Buddy liner in the Raptor or GI charging handles.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone tried the AT3 Tactical .22 anti jam charge handle?
Looks just like the CMMG but is listed as 7075 aluminum.
Under $20 which makes me think it’s just a CMMG plastic handle, none of their reviews mentioned if it’s plastic or aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with a latchless aluminum charging handle with a Bore Buddy insert.  I also use an extension.  Since there's no gas tube with .22, you don't need a latch.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The photos look like the plastic one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you’re right.
Hard to tell from the blurry AT3 pic, my CMMG handle that came with my RTB upper just has CMMG stamped in an oval on top but after looking at a search of pics of CMMG handles, the pics all have CMMG PATENT PENDING which is what AT3 has up, but CMMG isn’t legible although PATENT PENDING is. Looks to me like someone purposely degraded CMMG off that pic cause they’re not mentioned in the description, and it looks closer to CMMG than AT3.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m curious and want to know too. The spec says “Material: 7075 T6-Aluminum”...

https://www.at3tactical.com/products/anti-jam-charging-handle-for-cmmg-22-lr-conversion-kits-optional
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top