Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2022 6:51:14 PM EDT
I’ve been using Mossy Oak CLP to clean my AR-15s, and then wiping down and lubricating with Hoppe’s gun oil.

Two questions…is it necessary to use oil after CLP, and will it cause any issues?  I read that the military uses only CLP.

Thoughts? It seems like the CLP cleans OK and lubes OK but doesn’t last over time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP is a leatherman, it's meh at lots of things.

No, you don't need oil after CLP.  Yes, it wears off quickly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CLP is a leatherman, it's meh at lots of things.

No, you don't need oil after CLP.  Yes, it wears off quickly.
View Quote

So what’s the best way to do it?  And if continue using Hoppe’s oil after CLP, does that cause any issues?

Concerned more about any chemical damage to the BCG finish.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
CLP is just ok as a lubricant. Oil is much better. CLP is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I use solvent and oil as well as CLP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CLP is just ok as a lubricant. Oil is much better. CLP is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I use solvent and oil as well as CLP.
View Quote

OK, so using Hoppe’s 9 or CLP to clean and then coating with Hoppe’s gun oil won’t hurt anything?

Just don’t want to contribute to corrosion or messing up the phosphate or nitride finishes on BCG or other parts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep doing what your doing. I personally clean with breakfree clp and lube with break free LP. The L.P. is a straight lube and protectant . It's all good. WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Hopes oil is just mineral oil (baby oil).  Save a ton of money and just use Motor oil as a lube, or just use CLP Break Free or better and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hopes oil is just mineral oil (baby oil).  Save a ton of money and just use Motor oil as a lube, or just use CLP Break Free or better and call it good.
View Quote

The CLP I’m using is branded by Mossy Oak but made by Clenzoil and is petroleum based but has very little smell. Mostly just don’t want any chemical reactions or other issues with oil on top of it.

Is Break Free better in terms of lube? Never used it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The CLP I’m using is branded by Mossy Oak but made by Clenzoil and is petroleum based but has very little smell. Mostly just don’t want any chemical reactions or other issues with oil on top of it.

Is Break Free better in terms of lube? Never used it.
View Quote

CLP IS an oil. So your putting plain mineral oil over another oil (that has a small amount of solvent in it). Just stick to the CLP. Or if you are one of those who still feels it's sketchy, ignoring over 40s years of use, use a plain solvent, and a plain oil.... but use something better than Hoippes #9 in the orange bottle. It's just mineral oil and burns off quickly. SLIP 2000, Breakfree LP, Tetra, Lucas, TW25b (I forget their oil), Breakthrough Battle Born High Purity Oil or the slightly thicker Pro version.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive been cleaning with CLP then light oiling
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The mossy oak you are using is Clenzoil which is actually pretty good stuff.

The hoppes# 9 oil is pure mineral oil (baby oil) which is obsolete crap in 2022.

Drop the hoppes and just use the mossy oak for everything from now on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The mossy oak you are using is Clenzoil which is actually pretty good stuff.

The hoppes# 9 oil is pure mineral oil (baby oil) which is obsolete crap in 2022.

Drop the hoppes and just use the mossy oak for everything from now on.
View Quote

Actually the Hoppe’s oil is their black label “precision” oil, supposedly made for MSRs, but no idea if it’s really any better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W53FWVQ?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
INTERESTING TEST

FWIW,  G96 is my preferred for all things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

TRUTH !
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
INTERESTING TEST

FWIW,  G96 is my preferred for all things.
View Quote

Interesting and good to know the Clenzoil is at least ok stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the Clenzoil and Breakfree CLP/LP stuff. Works great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Actually the Hoppe’s oil is their black label “precision” oil, supposedly made for MSRs, but no idea if it’s really any better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W53FWVQ?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote

Ok well in your initial post, you called it Hoppes gun oil which I assumed was the regular #9 gun oil.

The black label Hoppes is supposed to be better but I doubt it is significantly better in any real way than the mossy oak (Clenzoil) you are using.

If for no other reason than saving money, I would just use the Clenzoil. If you really need a more powerful bore cleaner, try Boretech Eliminator. If you need a grease, just stick with the Clenzoil brand and try their grease.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok well in your initial post, you called it Hoppes gun oil which I assumed was the regular #9 gun oil.
View Quote

Thanks. I do use both, but use the black label for rifles.

Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep doing what your doing. I personally clean with breakfree clp and lube with break free LP. The L.P. is a straight lube and protectant . It's all good. WarDawg
View Quote

This.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top