Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 7:11:33 PM EDT
Beginner builder here.

I got my AR pistol together today and I noticed a gritty feel when pulling the CH. After a few more racks, I noticed a burning smell. It's a standard CH. It appears the CH is rubbing on both sides of the upper. I put in another standard CH from another rifle, with no rubbing.

I've read some people saying it's a tool and wear is normal, just make sure to lube it. But I haven't experienced this with any AR yet, dry or lubed. Is this normal break-in or should I drop the money on a new CH?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal. You'll develop shiny smooth lines on the CH where the rubbing is, moreso if you haven't lubed it. Nothing that will affect function in any way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It is fine, shoot it and the parts will get married pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
A charging handle on the tight side will feel more solid with less side to side play but it may also feel gritty until the surface gets polished out a bit from use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd pull it apart, wipe out the upper receiver channel and CH, slather on some grease and shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Then I'll keep it how it is. Thanks all!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top