Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2023 11:33:43 PM EDT
First and foremost, I'm a gunsmith (not gomsmif) by trade and generally know what I'm doing. Secondly, I use good jigging to assemble items correctly, so hopefully that gives you an idea of perspective here.

Ordered two of these, directly from PA, brand new this past week and today I assembled a rifle using one and a YHM gas block, jigged it up and pushed the roll pin in with my knipex, then put the gas block on my rifle. First glance and I notice the gas tube is bent at least 1" off center, so I'm alarmed and wondering if I did anything somehow or if it was like that when I received it because I've never seen a gas tube that was so bent from the box. Upon further inspection and prodding, I discovered that neither gas tubes are tempered or treated and so soft that you can bend them between two fingers on one hand.

I assume this was a fault of their OEM, but either way the batch they came from is definitely bad. Never in my years have I seen a gas tube this poorly made, and I've seen a few pretty terrible ones.

I do have pictures

Pictured was done with extreme ease, hahaha.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a damn shame...

Thanks for the heads-up.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
That's off a mile and a half.

Shipping damage?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used a couple of those in the past and haven't had any issues, especially like that! Must be a bad batch.co
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You didn’t notice that that tube was bent to hell (the moment you picked it up) and actually got as far as trying to install it… with “good jigging” nonetheless?  

Also the spec material for AR15 gas tubes is just AISI 304 / UNS 30400.  There is no called out heat treatment/temper, so I’m not sure what you expected, there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
To be fair, I bent it a little more than it had been after I pulled it off the block haha. Initially it was only canted over an inch from center and I decided to see what was going on. I could probably post a video later but I think yall get the point of how noodly it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
And you say the AISI 304 / UNS 30400 calls for no hardness, yet I've never had a gas tube from anyone that is as soft as chicken wire. This is plain dangerous and not useful as a gun part whatsoever.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And you say the AISI 304 / UNS 30400 calls for no hardness, yet I've never had a gas tube from anyone that is as soft as chicken wire. This is plain dangerous and not useful as a gun part whatsoever.
View Quote

It’s either made of 304 or it’s not… but they aren’t heat treatable so can’t have any sort of “temper” to them.  It’s a physical impossibility.

if it’s as weak as you say it is, the part is either: missing material (undersize OD and/or oversize ID) or it’s the wrong material.

I’m not even sure why someone would buy a “cheap” gas tube… the difference between a high quality and dirt cheap one is probably <$5.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah yes, my fault for buying a product that was clearly faulty before purchase. Got it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a couple of nitrided gas tubes from a different vendor once that were so soft you could bend/tie them in a big loop knot and not kink them. Only had one regular tube that was soft. Noticed it when adjusting it a little to align with the carrier key. Don't remember where I got it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ah yes, my fault for buying a product that was clearly faulty before purchase. Got it.
View Quote

If you had a tire that was square you should immediately know something was off.

I've used their supplies for a ton of plinking builds.

Contact them
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I figured a gas tube was one of those things that couldn't be screwed up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I figured a gas tube was one of those things that couldn't be screwed up.
View Quote

Some of those turds on the Colt Expanse guns were noodles.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top