BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2018 3:17:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gas key screws and bolt carriers come with a huge discount compared to the list price!!!!

http://www.unbrandedar.com/gas-key-screw-p/7071-0001-3907.htm

http://www.unbrandedar.com/product-p/7034-0017-1520.htm.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
BAH!  The entire thread is a damn ad.  Horse shit.
Certainly there's a dedicated place for ads thats not here in the technical section masquerading as legit threads.

FROM THE CoC: ”Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and also require admin permission.” PursuitSS
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BAH!  The entire thread is a damn ad.  Horse shit.
Certainly there's a dedicated place for ads thats not here in the technical section masquerading as legit threads.
View Quote
LOL. I take it you find the situation unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
He is an industry partner, he did nothing out of line?  What is the problem?

Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem I had was the post was an ad with no warning.  It would have been nice nice of them to say up front "Yo, this is an ad.  We pay money to support the site, please take a minute to review some of our marketing wank."  Kind of like on other sights were there are ads and just above or below them, it says "advertisement:"  or "an now, a word from our sponsors".
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The problem I had was the post was an ad with no warning.  It would have been nice nice of them to say up front "Yo, this is an ad.  We pay money to support the site, please take a minute to review some of our marketing wank."  Kind of like on other sights were there are ads and just above or below them, it says "advertisement:"  or "an now, a word from our sponsors".
View Quote
Really?

You are not even a team member, all this knowledge and you have not spent a dime?

Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice to see your thread. I did not know you existed. As a parts junkie I am hesitant to order from new folks. I have some Toolcraft, Spikes, PSA Premium and other “name brand” parts. How do you stack up? Same thing just different branding. Gotta be better than Radical right? You can PM if needed.

Welcome to Arfcom and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really?

You are not even a team member, all this knowledge and you have not spent a dime?

View Quote
I support the site by spending my dimes at the vendor's sites.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Christ! Is the whole site turning into Romper room today?
View Quote
Tig,

I think there are a lot of members that need to be in a bumper room
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
www.unbrandedar.com

I'm glad for a new player in town.
... especially one with strategically priced titanium parts that aren't over priced.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]
While I hate seeing "Made in China" I take advantage when it makes sense.  Small electronic parts, certain tools, hell I have a Chinese milling machine.  However, I like to know when items are manufactured off-shore.  The prices should reflect that as well.  Unfortunately we are duped by misleading advertising and labels regularly.  While I don't always need Geissele, Noveske, DD, Larue and the like, I don't want to pay Magpul prices for Strike Industries made in Taiwan junk.  In recent years, I've started to wonder how many US companies are selling quality products mixed with off-shore fasteners, pins and springs, knowingly or not.  Any company who steps up, makes a legitimate effort to manufacture and source US then market as such will get my $.

I make it a point to stay out of GD.  I pay for my membership here and I try to play an active, positive roll in this "community" we have here.  I don't believe I'm in the minority on this one, I rather appreciate the industry partners participation in the tech forums.  Welcome to ARFcom.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Enjoy your shopping experience on www.unbrandedar.com and please follow us on Instagram - it'll change your life. (Maybe not, but Facebook sucks)
[/url]
View Quote
I've checked out your site, not half bad but you need to go and do some proof reading and double check some of those "list prices". Also "Instagram - it'll change your life. (Maybe not, but Facebook sucks" that's kinda like saying Ambush rifles for life cause Daniel Defense sucks. They're one and the same in case you didn't know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If buying gun parts from a man with a unicorn avatar is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Unbranded for the heads up....Will be shopping with y'all soon.

www.unbrandedar.com

We love Merican parts here
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm giving `em a try for some assembly parts.  I'll report back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I took a chance on one of the $35 UnbrandedAR LPKs from Aim. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XCCLPKMILSPEC
I only needed a few parts and figured even if some of the parts in the kit were trash, it'd be cheaper than trying to piece together what I needed.

Got the LPK today.  Initially it didn't look too bad.  Some unusual features, and the general impression of low quality.  Decided to drop the parts into a spare lower, got as far as installing the fire control group before running into problems.  With everything lined up, the pivot pin would not slip past the J-pin in the hammer.  No amount of tapping with a hammer/punch would have driven that pin into place.  I had to use a punch from the opposite side and push the J-pin over, for the pivot pin to slip past.  Once the pin was all the way in, I pressed on it with a punch to make sure the J-pin was engaging the groove in the pivot pin, the pivot pin moved off center before clicking into the J-pin.  This left the pivot pin sticking out one side of the receiver, and below the surface on the opposite side.  I noticed the hammer was fairly sloppy when installed also, turns out the pivot pin hole is enough oversize the hammer can rock on the pin.

But really, the biggest issue was that once installed, the fire control group didn't pass a basic function test.  Long story short, the trigger would not reset because the disconnector hangs up on the hammer.  The engagement surface of the hammer is machined with a curve, unlike the other hammers I've looked at that all have a flat surface to match the disconnector.  Even with the pivots excessively lubricated, and a dab of grease on the disconnector/hammer, the trigger spring isn't nearly strong enough to reset the trigger.  After manually cycling the fire control group several times to let the parts "break in" a bit, I gave up and disassembled the lower.  

This kit will be going back to AIM for a refund, or maybe just in the trash.  Lesson learned, next time I'll spend the extra $15 and get a functional lower parts kit from PSA.

Edit:  Pics...  Note pivot pin retained off-center.  Odd concave ground disconnector surface.  Sloppy pivot pin hole.  I didn't notice the pivot pin hole is drilled off the perpendicular axis until I went to take the photos.  Pure Garbage.

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took a chance on one of the $35 UnbrandedAR LPKs from Aim. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XCCLPKMILSPEC
I only needed a few parts and figured even if some of the parts in the kit were trash, it'd be cheaper than trying to piece together what I needed.

Got the LPK today.  Initially it didn't look too bad.  Some unusual features, and the general impression of low quality.  Decided to drop the parts into a spare lower, got as far as installing the fire control group before running into problems.  With everything lined up, the pivot pin would not slip past the J-pin in the hammer.  No amount of tapping with a hammer/punch would have driven that pin into place.  I had to use a punch from the opposite side and push the J-pin over, for the pivot pin to slip past.  Once the pin was all the way in, I pressed on it with a punch to make sure the J-pin was engaging the groove in the pivot pin, the pivot pin moved off center before clicking into the J-pin.  This left the pivot pin sticking out one side of the receiver, and below the surface on the opposite side.  I noticed the hammer was fairly sloppy when installed also, turns out the pivot pin hole is enough oversize the hammer can rock on the pin.

But really, the biggest issue was that once installed, the fire control group didn't pass a basic function test.  Long story short, the trigger would not reset because the disconnector hangs up on the hammer.  The engagement surface of the hammer is machined with a curve, unlike the other hammers I've looked at that all have a flat surface to match the disconnector.  Even with the pivots excessively lubricated, and a dab of grease on the disconnector/hammer, the trigger spring isn't nearly strong enough to reset the trigger.  After manually cycling the fire control group several times to let the parts "break in" a bit, I gave up and disassembled the lower.  

This kit will be going back to AIM for a refund, or maybe just in the trash.  Lesson learned, next time I'll spend the extra $15 and get a functional lower parts kit from PSA.

Edit:  Pics...  Note pivot pin retained off-center.  Odd concave ground disconnector surface.  Sloppy pivot pin hole.  I didn't notice the pivot pin hole is drilled off the perpendicular axis until I went to take the photos.  Pure Garbage.

https://i.imgur.com/jy2x72z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/awYGO31.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NR9lp7B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mx8TtXN.jpg
View Quote
If I had taken that out of the package, I would have put it right back in the package and mailed it back, I would not have even tried to install it

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Who would have thought that in 2018, a person would have to question if an established vendor (Aim Surplus) would sell crap?  Or that a person would need to closely inspect NEW AR15 parts for manufacturing defects?  Put together my first AR in 1999, 9 parts kits later I get this bag of crap.  I never would have believed any vendor sold AR parts this fouled up.  Live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#22]
There is one kit out there that has a hammer with oversized outside diameter where the pin goes through on one side. At first it appears to be similar to a three shot burst hammer but it is not. The diameter is so big the spring leg bends on that side when the hammer is cocked because the inside spring diameter closes against the hammer before the hammer is fully cocked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]
My order from Unbranded AR arrived a few hours ago, today.  It included a lower parts kit.  I'm going to open it up and take a really close look at the fire control parts to see if the reported defect is present.  Or any other defects I can see.

Here's the order, still packed in plastic:  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
A follow-up based on the bad experience posted by Happytrailz.  I need to make a a couple of differentiations first that might or might not matter.  I bought the LPK directly from Unbranded AR.  (But I am also an Aim customer.)  I didn't buy the basic MilSpec LPK.  I bought what Unbranded AR calls their ELG kit that costs about $5 more.  The ELG kit is said to contain a fire control group where the the trigger is "Enhanced Longitudinally Ground," meaning that the grinding is inline with the direction of the trigger pull.  That seemed like a good idea to me because my experience, limited though it may be, with prior MilSpec kits invariably showed transverse grind marks.  The outcome was a gritty action that felt like pulling a cat off of a screen door.  So I thought I'd give the ELG grind a try.

But based on the obvious problems in Happytrailz post, I was concerned.  It's going to be some time before I finish the assembly.  I thought I should have a look.  The trigger, hammer and disconnector looked to be of good quality.  I inserted the pins into the disconnector and trigger.  They were a perfect dry fit, and seemed to be at a spot on right angle.  Next, I opened up an unused lower and did a quick mockup to test for action.  I didn't fully insert the pins to make it easier to get them out.  Despite that, the action was smooth.  A little heavy, just a tiny bit of creep.  Some of this can be attributed to the dry and incomplete fitting.  Still, time and the complete assembly will be the determinant.  The image shows the mockup before I took it back apart.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Who would have thought that in 2018, a person would have to question if an established vendor (Aim Surplus) would sell crap?  Or that a person would need to closely inspect NEW AR15 parts for manufacturing defects?  Put together my first AR in 1999, 9 parts kits later I get this bag of crap.  I never would have believed any vendor sold AR parts this fouled up.  Live and learn.
View Quote
So this is one of those kits that OP says they are NOT selling any longer?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I just returned 2 different 100% Made in America rails for being utter garbage. Paid a nice premium for the experience too... Both from known brands.

So heh... Better not name and shame otherwise I'll get sued for defamation...

I'm in the custom manufacturing business, I can tell you that Made in America doesn't mean what it used too. I'll let the parts speak for themselves and not the country they were manufactured.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the offer, but I already got it returned to AIM Surplus and received a refund.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#31]
This looks like the same Clint Walker that owned Falkor Defence. The one that was in a live chat with TGC, Military Arms, ect. after the Vegas shooting and basically said the 2a crowd needs to compromise. Then he set his instagram to private so people would leave him alone. Probably will make some decent parts though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least he's paying.................
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I stay away from import crap, espeically chicom stuff, they rip off original manufacturers and use pot metal.  No chicom gun parts for me, not today not ever
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

HappyTrailz,

I apologize for the issues you have with your kit.  These kits exist at the request of one of our large OEM customers who needs the absolute least expensive LPK to meet the pricing requirements of their full rifles.   Almost every item on our website is intended for at least one of many large OEM clients, and we use UnbrandedAR.com as a way for the retail customer and small dealer to access better pricing, since we move a very high volume of these products.  Unfortunately, in that attempt to cut costs for them, we have had to outsource the fire control group and potentially one or two other components in these specific kits.  This is the only part we offer on our site that is not guaranteed to be 100% USA produced and we make no claim that this particular product is USA produced.  Unfortunately, because we do not manufacture this part and move such a high volume of it, we are unable to inspect each individual component as we are on our house made parts.

Please contact me directly and I'll make sure to get one of our house brand ELG kits out to you.  I am sure that you will be very happy with the quality.
View Quote
Really? "Buy American or Pay Twice" is your slogan and then you start in with "buts" and finally admit your shit comes from China just like everyone else. Nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Buy Now or Pay twice is not a slogan - it is the name of this thread. As mentioned in the quote above, we have parts that WE manufacture at UAR - which are ALL manufactured in the United States and some customers that put our parts with other parts in order to meet a certain price points.
View Quote
Either way, false advertising.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Either way, false advertising.
View Quote
Rather confusing.  Nothing in the parts descriptions I saw showed a "Hecho en Mexico" or anything like that to differentiate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Really? "Buy American or Pay Twice" is your slogan and then you start in with "buts" and finally admit your shit comes from China just like everyone else. Nice.
View Quote
Emailed and called you multiple times. No response to email and no one answers the phone. Guess your call center is hecho en mexico too?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]
This is why I stick with genuine Colt LPKs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
If you're not buying an LW Schneider made LPK, good luck to you.

I bought one Guntec brand LPK and threw it in the garbage. I've spent $$$ on worse shit and figured I'd just eat it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aim Surplus sells crap, no doubt about it. I have lost all faith in them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#45]
prices plummet and quality goes to crap, always the same...  wait till the chinese enter the car market.

anyway, we were better off when a cheap AR was 500-600 and Colts were $900-1000...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:42:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  While I don't always need Geissele, Noveske, DD, Larue and the like, I don't want to pay Magpul prices for Strike Industries made in Taiwan junk.
View Quote
just a note- everything I've bought from strike has been very good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top