Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/26/2019 7:11:41 PM EDT
I purchased a Bushmaster carbon 15 5 years ago and it has sat in my closet until February 2019. I hired a couple professionals to teach myself, my 17 year old son and his friend on proper use, handling, ammo, etc before we fired it for the first time. All three of us fired it with 30 round magazines with a couple hundred rounds on the first day, all went fine. When I returned home I immediatly disassembled and cleaned according to instructions in the owners manual. This morning my son and I returned to the same indoor range to fire a couple handguns and the AR15. After 80-90 rounds my son was shooting the last 12 or so we had and the gun blew up. Litteraly blew into a lot of pieces with some hitting his left arm drawing blood. No hospital required and I'm happy he's fine. I spoke with the rangemaster, range operaters and a few people in the gun department at The Sportsmans Warehouse, none have heard or seen a gun blow into as many pieces as this.

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone here could tell me how this can happen? Needless to say I'm a bit afraid to replace it with another Bushmaster, the local guys suggest Armalite. I don't shoot a lot, or want to spend a ton, just want to be safe and shoot a few times a year at the range.  Thanks for any positive suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your ammo,  although it may jabber been a firearm failure.  For replacement check out palmeto state armory.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What ammo?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad your son is ok!

Got any pictures of the gun in it's blown up state?

Were you shooting reloads by chance?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Norinco china sport 223 new in the box from the local gun store, so I was told. This morning I see from internet it's old ammo, but I can't see how that would cause the gun to blow up. I have many pictures but don't know how to submit them on this forum.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking 5.56 in a .223 would do that, but if you were using 223 that's strange. Maybe the round that busted the gun was loaded to abnormally high pressure for a 223?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, carbon 15's were known for being way more explody than their traditionally constructed counterparts so that's not a surprise*, but that bad sounds like an ammo related issue.

*Bell curve in effect, there are some survivor rifles that get shot and don't break, but there's more than average that do poo the bed.

Lots of good inexpensive rifles these days compared to when the carbon-15 was new, Colt of course is the bench mark and has come down in price a lot in the last few years. PSA, Aero, a few other's are cheaper without giving up too much quality, a few more are more expensive while not hitting diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun was rated for 5.56 and 223.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gun was rated for 5.56 and 223.
View Quote
Doesn’t sound like it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yea, carbon 15's were known for being way more explody than their traditionally constructed counterparts so that's not a surprise*, but that bad sounds like an ammo related issue.

*Bell curve in effect, there are some survivor rifles that get shot and don't break, but there's more than average that do poo the bed.

Lots of good inexpensive rifles these days compared to when the carbon-15 was new, Colt of course is the bench mark and has come down in price a lot in the last few years. PSA, Aero, a few other's are cheaper without giving up too much quality, a few more are more expensive while not hitting diminishing returns.
View Quote
Nailed it. The carbon-15 is a plastic rifle (more or less), and when mixed with crappy ammo, bad things are bound to happen.

Glad to hear no one got hurt really bad, but with a rifle made of proper materials, less damage would have occurred to both the rifle and shooter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Very probably the ammunition.   The bolt is going to lock into the barrel the same if the gun is plastic, or is aluminum; it's steel on steel bolt locked and sealing the chamber; or the gun won't discharge.

Meanwhile, Norinco ammunition has not been imported into the United States for 25 years; I'm amazed anyone had that in inventory still.  When it was new, it was relatively poor quality ammunition, with exceptionally soft brass; moreso than any other brass I had ever handled.

25 years of aged extra low quality gunpowder, charged with the lowest level of precision, into brass that is already very soft.  Gunpowder degredation can attack brass metallurgy by the way; as it essentially makes nitric acid.  Usually it's visible as the light colored copper corrosion green in the neck of the casing, and around the primer; when the powder starts going bad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably a bad round. Just go to PSA and pick out what you want. They're the best value running in the AR world right now.

Order some ammo while you're there too, they've got a deal on 420rd Federal cans right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
As much as I want to blame that plastic toy, you had an ammo issue

ETA Flickr blows.  I can't embed that one for shit
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad the son is mostly ok .

I also would look most closely at the ammo as the problem.

I suppose once you have a failure so bad the bolt lets go things are going to look more spectacular with the carbon 15 than a traditional AR 15.

I would like to see photos of the carnage.

Honestly I can't remember if the carbon 15 line was started by bushmaster or if it was something Bushmaster bought out to widen their line . I guess it was supposed to give you a slightly lighter gun but with a AR most of your weight is bolt,carrier and barrel

Bushmaster in the day was a decent company , The name (and some machinery?) was sold to Remington and its parent company  with some of it's former workers in Maine starting up Windom weaponary .

Carbon 15 was sort of a odd duck , I never saw any point going in that direction although the couple of standard Bushmaster guns I have owned never gave me any trouble
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was thinking 5.56 in a .223 would do that, but if you were using 223 that's strange. Maybe the round that busted the gun was loaded to abnormally high pressure for a 223?
View Quote
???????
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I uploaded some pictures on Flickr, don't know if it will work but here is the link.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Wooo-wee! Glad everyone is okay.

Looks like it's a recovery operation now. You can probably add some of the lower parts to your spares.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You had an ammo problem. Shooting the cheapest crap ammo that's 30 years old doesn't help the situation.

Then you had high pressure gas escaping into the rifle receivers which are made of a composite material that is unable to handle that kind of pressure.

Don't kid yourself however, any firearm is subject to catastrophic failure in the case of an extreme overcharged round or obstructed bore.

Bushmaster and Armalite, Chinese ammo, are these people living in the early 90s?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#21]
"Norinco China Sport 223"
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
PSA is gtg for inexpensive rifles, you can save a few bucks if you buy a kit and assemble the lower yourself.  Ask if you have any questions about PSA choices, we have lots of experience.  They keep lots of us broke with their daily deals  

If you're willing to cough up $900 buy a Colt and be done with it.

Buy better ammo.  PSA often has sales on Federal.  SGammo.com is a good source too. Check out ammospy.com for prices.  Wolf Gold is a good choice for relatively inexpensive reliable .223.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Norinco China Sport 223"
View Quote
Wonder where his lgs found it?  Kind of dicey of them to sell it.

I used to shoot that stuff in the 80s.  Smelled like ammonia after you shot it.  I probably have a few boxes I shouldn't use still in the basement.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it possible to see if the is a bulge in the barrel?  I was wondering if one bullet didn’t exit the barrel then follow up shot had no place to go causing the high pressure and failure.  With a carbon gun there is probable too many pieces to figure out.  Might try website tinypic dot come.  Load pics there and it will creat message board links for you.  Like photobucket did before they went full retard and require money to use.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
When bad ideas collide.

Carbon15s are junk. Period.

Norinco ammo was never great, and what you are shooting is older than your children.

Buy a PSA premium rifle and good American made ammunition and you'll be fine. You seem new enough to this to prevent me from suggesting something higher up in the price heirarchy.

Also, whoever has been advising you on your rifle and ammo purchases is a great salesman and a terrible friend.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Definitely look down the bore to check for a squib that left a bullet lodge in the bore, followed by the round that exploded when fired down a blocked barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#27]
link to pics
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not Bell.
Actually...Weibull curve.

Attachment Attached File

ETA.... don't use shit ammo
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
-Another vote for a combination crappy ammo and poor quality rifle. I would 1st see if the local shop that sold you 30 year old ammo "new" will replace the rifle. If they do look at a S&W MP15. Armilite would be a 2nd or 3rd choice but only if their providing you a free rifle.

As mentioned if possible look into buying a new complete PSA rifle, this would be prefect

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa15-16-chf-m4-carbine-556-nato-premium-classic-ar15-rifle-black.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not Bell.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/700px-Bathtub_curve_svg_png-959092.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not Bell.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1874/700px-Bathtub_curve_svg_png-959092.JPG
Oooh, nice.

Learn something new every day.

That looks pretty handy to drop when people say stuff like "I don't know what people complain about, my Kimber never jams", "My Anderson build is great", or "my carbon-15 hasn't exploded yet".
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks to all for the suggestions, sounds like all agree I bought a POS rifle with POS ammo. I received my Christmas bonus on December 14th 2012, having purchased Christmas presents for my son I finally had money to buy the girft for me I had always wanted. That was a bad day for America and a great day for gun shops. Every shop I went to was sold out of AR's so I talked with friends, checked craisglist, and backpage. Not sure where I found the guys number but he had a new in the box Carbon15 for $1000.00. SOLD! Next was ammo which was even harder to find. The store that sold me the China Sports is long out of business so I guess I'm on my own again.

My son and I greatly appreciate all the information and we will get a hold of PSA soon. One last question, where do I dispose of the unused ammo? Only have a few rounds but in my 50 years I've never had to give away or dispose of ammo?????
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn,.........$1k for a Carbon 15?

Wow

Glad your son wasn't seriously injured.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks to all for the suggestions, sounds like all agree I bought a POS rifle with POS ammo. I received my Christmas bonus on December 14th 2012, having purchased Christmas presents for my son I finally had money to buy the girft for me I had always wanted. That was a bad day for America and a great day for gun shops. Every shop I went to was sold out of AR's so I talked with friends, checked craisglist, and backpage. Not sure where I found the guys number but he had a new in the box Carbon15 for $1000.00. SOLD! Next was ammo which was even harder to find. The store that sold me the China Sports is long out of business so I guess I'm on my own again.

My son and I greatly appreciate all the information and we will get a hold of PSA soon. One last question, where do I dispose of the unused ammo? Only have a few rounds but in my 50 years I've never had to give away or dispose of ammo?????
View Quote
Genuinely sorry you got taken advantage of. Glad you and your son are ok, and hopefully you’ll be into a much better rifle that will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
My suggestion for getting rid of that bad ammo is either take it to the local PD and explain your situation or take it to a LGS and do the same.

December 2012 was a bad time to be a 1st time AR buyer. Lucky for you now is a good time for the next few months. Do get one before the next election kicks into full gear, prices will rise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Do not buy anything with plastic receivers. Get a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Sell the ammo on gunbroker or armslist or even at a gunshow. There are neckbeards out there who love that nasty crap. I'm dead serious.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
sounds like you did the best you could at the time.  this time around you should be much more fortunate as nice ar's are fairly cheap and good ammo is plentiful.  take a little time to do some reading around the forum.  the information will help you make a much better purchase decision this time.

just take the ammo to the range the next time you go shooting , they should have a bin for loaded bad rounds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn,.........$1k for a Carbon 15?

Wow

Glad your son wasn't seriously injured.
View Quote
Welcome to the Obama gun rush.

Shit, in 2009 the company I was running the range at was selling 6920's for $2k a pop and we couldn't even get them out of the box and displayed before people bought them. "Is that sold yet" "No, we have to check it in first" "Cool it's mine, let me get my paperwork started".
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Pull the bullets and dump the powder around the rose bushes as fertilizer.

There are only two kinds of Carbon 15 owners, that that shoot very little and those who have a Carbon 15 that has not blown up yet

You can pick up a decent gun from PSA for around $300 bucks plus or minus these days, depending on how you catch their daily deals.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot a shit ton of that old NORINCO China Sports ammo back in the mid 80s. IIRC, it was in a yellow box of 20 with red name with the logo in black.  It was really inexpensive, like maybe $125 a thousand. Never had a problem with it.

Does that Bushmaster’s upper receiver carbon fiber or aluminum?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I was able to pry the forward hand hold off and there's no buldge in the barrel. I ran a cleaning rod down the barrel thinking maybe a bullet was lodged as some have said and the rod went the entire length of the barrel, picture updated.  

The bolt is jammed and I'll need one hell of a wrench to get it loose.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was able to pry the forward hand hold off and there's no buldge in the barrel. I ran a cleaning rod down the barrel thinking maybe a bullet was lodged as some have said and the rod went the entire length of the barrel, picture updated.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/93127904@N07/?

View Quote
Dayum. Glad your son is ok.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Do make sure your son doesn't have any small slivers of carbon fiber still in his arm....that will give a nasty infection and usually needs to be cut out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#44]
It took some persuation with a vice, pry bar, and hammer but I got the bolt loose and had to drive out. The spent shell came right out with a cleaning rod. I would love to know how this thing exploded with no bullet lodged in the barrel. Pictures updated.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The brass ruptured, spilling high velocity gas’s that tore the receivers apart.  Bad ammo, with weaker then as designed AR-15 type rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Case head separation - the brass casing was weak and failed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Depending on your budget there are many great choices to be had. PSA being the best of the low priced ARs if you can afford it there are many better options. Larue, Noveske, LMT, KAC, LWRC, Colt, HK, SIG, FN are some of the more popular options. Also good Radian, Lantac, Battle Arms, Aero precision Taran Tactical also makes a nice AR. Lots options and lots of opinions everyone has their favorites. Many more options too many to list.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was able to pry the forward hand hold off and there's no buldge in the barrel. I ran a cleaning rod down the barrel thinking maybe a bullet was lodged as some have said and the rod went the entire length of the barrel, picture updated.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/93127904@N07/?

View Quote
daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Yea that sucks dude. Hard lesson.

As far as the rifle, the shattered pieces are obviously toast. A lot of other pieces can be stripped off and live on in other rifles though, so now is a good time to learn how to break the rifle into it's little parts, which will help learn about building one of your own from the ground up, and you can always see if people need some of the proprietary parts to fix their carbon rifles.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
If there is a silver lining, right now is pretty much the opposite of those days in 2012 as far as the AR15 market.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#50]
OP, I got first dibs on that rear stock if you don't want it anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top