Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2022 3:00:36 PM EDT
I have no experience building or modifying AR’s so very limited knowledge here. I have a  Bushmaster XM15-E2S and the receiver and carry handle are all one piece and I’m want to swap it out with a flat top so that  I can use an optic on top of receiver instead of the type that’s mounted on top of the carry handle. Is this possible with this configuration? Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
EZPZ.

You'll need to invest in some tools if a DIY project.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EZPZ.

You'll need to invest in some tools if a DIY project.
View Quote

After that initial investment who knows what might come next...

Seriously, all I wanted to do back in 2004 was change out a single Bushmaster 20" HBAR that had no muzzle threads or bayonet lug (do to being a post ban gun from the last AWB) to a proper 20" A2 gov't profile barrel with all the evil features... Since then I'm out many many thousands.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a complete upper receiver in 5.56x45 NATO and snap it on your BM lower.  

Palmetto State Armory has good value uppers, or you can buy any other brand that makes you happy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy a complete upper receiver in 5.56x45 NATO and snap it on your BM lower.  

Palmetto State Armory has good value uppers, or you can buy any other brand that makes you happy.
View Quote

Not a bad plan. Moneywise, this it not a bad plan. If you figure close to $100 for an upper reciever (I know, but deal are sporadic at best right now), the price of the tools to swap it out or the cost of paying someone to... A psa upper makes a lot of sense. Either way, whether you retain your barrel etc and just use a new reciever or swap the whole upper, save that shit. Fixed carry handles aren't overly easy to find these days. They're not impossible, but worth holding onto.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Seriously, all I wanted to do back in 2004 was change out a single Bushmaster 20" HBAR that had no muzzle threads or bayonet lug (do to being a post ban gun from the last AWB) to a proper 20" A2 gov't profile barrel with all the evil features... Since then I'm out many many thousands.
View Quote

I did the same for my brother years ago.  He wanted an A2 like he had in basic, and the HB under the barrel didn't balance right.  I sourced a 1/7 gov't profile and swapped it for him.

Regarding doing yourself with little knowledge, use the Hometown forum to find someone local with the tools and know how.  I'm sure a local member would help you out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ll swap it for you

I’m sent
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
That's how I got started, OP.  The exact same issue.

First I built an upper for it.

Then I built a whole new rifle.  Then a PCC.

And another...etc ad nauseum.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not a bad plan. Moneywise, this it not a bad plan. If you figure close to $100 for an upper reciever (I know, but deal are sporadic at best right now), the price of the tools to swap it out or the cost of paying someone to... A psa upper makes a lot of sense. Either way, whether you retain your barrel etc and just use a new reciever or swap the whole upper, save that shit. Fixed carry handles aren't overly easy to find these days. They're not impossible, but worth holding onto.
View Quote

Very much this. A2 uppers are running up around $200 in some cases, just for the upper receiver.
OP, you could put that upper on the EE and finance a good chunk of your barreled upper or barrel and tools if you wanted to. For whatever reason, the retro wave is pulling a lot of demand for A2s and there is not much available as the demand has outpaced the supply significantly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats why I left my HBAR alone and just built more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Very much this. A2 uppers are running up around $200 in some cases, just for the upper receiver.
OP, you could put that upper on the EE and finance a good chunk of your barreled upper or barrel and tools if you wanted to. For whatever reason, the retro wave is pulling a lot of demand for A2s and there is not much available as the demand has outpaced the supply significantly.
View Quote

$2-$300 currently.

It's asinine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
That's how ai started, thousands later I have a bunch of ARs now.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top