Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2023 1:54:40 PM EDT
Anybody pick up one of these ARs from aimsurplus? I found the arms BUIS interesting. I’ve never seen one before. It’s in surprisingly good shape for being a LE trade in. It had a set of skinny single heat shield handguards. I slapped on the new RAS I got from brownells. These are way better than the Remington acquired Bushmasters I hear. I guess these have a commercial buffer tube. I had an extra B5 stock laying around I was going to use but it doesn’t fit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to tell from the picture but the BUIS looks like an ARMS 40L.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely is, I’ve never seen one before. Are they any good?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Used mine for 5 years without issue.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking rig. Just swap out the RE for mil-spec and throw your stock on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to pay attention more, I would have gladly ordered one for myself had I known they were available.

These were the CL 1/9 Windham made, right? A KISS 5 pounder would have been nice to have around as a functional beater, just add an Aimpoint Duty or Pro and done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Great looking carbine there...
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need to pay attention more, I would have gladly ordered one for myself had I known they were available.

These were the CL 1/9 Windham made, right? A KISS 5 pounder would have been nice to have around as a functional beater, just add an Aimpoint Duty or Pro and done.
View Quote

I put a vortex Sparc on it for now. I zeroed the irons last week the rifle ran good. The barrel is marked B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9. Haven’t cleaned it and a shitty pic not sure it’s chrome lined or not.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't like it, put it on the EE. I'll bet a cloner will pick it up.

My LGS had a few of those P&W Bushmasters I while back.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you don't like it, put it on the EE. I'll bet a cloner will pick it up.

My LGS had a few of those P&W Bushmasters I while back.
View Quote

OP needs to contact me first then, I call dibs
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to have a 16" A2 Patrolman's Carbine. It was a fine rifle. I wish I had kept it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Every Bushmaster bbl stamped B MP that I have seen/owned has been CL'd.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
As a general rule, all of the Windham Bushmasters I owned were excellent rifles. This was back in the 90s when Colt still had the screw on the forward takedown pin and the odd sized trigger/hammer pins. Colts also (usually) had the block or whatever you called it that severely limited what trigger could be used in it. Not trying to turn this into a debate about Colt. I love Colt ARs, but they used to do some goofy shit back then. I am guessing it was to appease the anti-gunners. I much preferred a Bushmaster back then. But...Someone will read this and be along shortly to tell you what a pice of shit Bushmasters used to be! You did get a good rifle, though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Barely missed them.  Some of my favorites
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They pretty much legitimized folding rear sights and it took many years for anyone to dethrone them as the folding king. I believe it was even the first back up sight to be assigned an NSN and get a contract but my memory is foggy on that.

Swap the buffer tube out and throw on a SOPMOD and an old Aimpoint or TA31 and you have a pretty righteous period correct set up going.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice score
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They pretty much legitimized folding rear sights and it took many years for anyone to dethrone them as the folding king. I believe it was even the first back up sight to be assigned an NSN and get a contract but my memory is foggy on that.
View Quote

The buis is definitely different in the way it locks down. Then the metal cable running through it, what’s up with that? When I picked the rifle up from my FFL I thought the sight was broken. My short time in the army all I saw were matech buis.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The buis is definitely different in the way it locks down. Then the metal cable running through it, what’s up with that? When I picked the rifle up from my FFL I thought the sight was broken. My short time in the army all I saw were matech buis.
View Quote

The wire is attached to the mounting nut, helps prevent loss.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I always thought the old Bushmasters were decent quality. I was with my dad when he bought one of the P&W 14.5's in 1994. If I remember right the muzzle device was known as the Izzy flash hider. He never fired it and I acquired it after he passed away 2 years ago. I still have it and will probably keep it unfired. The barrel is chrome lined on his.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always thought the old Bushmasters were decent quality. I was with my dad when he bought one of the P&W 14.5's in 1994. If I remember right the muzzle device was known as the Izzy flash hider. He never fired it and I acquired it after he passed away 2 years ago. I still have it and will probably keep it unfired. The barrel is chrome lined on his.
View Quote

Sorry about your Dad. You should post some pics of that rifle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Izzy FH is correct:

Attachment Attached File

I had a couple ~ 7 yrs ago. Gunpartscorp was selling them for $100, IIRC.

Nice shooters. Several here ended up with canted FSBs. Bummer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Nice rifle! Did it come with the carry handle when you bought it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
That could have come from my agency.  We just traded in a bunch like that with the same rear sight.  They had Aimpoint PROs on them when they left us.  The number on the butt stock fits, mine was 66.  PM me the serial # and I can probably confirm if you want.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#26]
The question I have is who did the P/W's on these LEO trade in Bushmasters?

https://aimsurplus.com/products/le-trade-in-bushmaster-xm15-e2s-rifle-556-rifle#gallery-4
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The question I have is who did the P/W's on these LEO trade in Bushmasters?

https://aimsurplus.com/products/le-trade-in-bushmaster-xm15-e2s-rifle-556-rifle#gallery-4
View Quote

"Now, the welds on these muzzle devices are not the most attractive, but they most certainly get the job done"

Curious.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I purchased quite a few Windham Bushmasters over the years.  Every p & w I received looked waaaaaay better than that.

Holy cow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I purchased quite a few Windham Bushmasters over the years.  Every p & w I received looked waaaaaay better than that.

Holy cow.
View Quote

Holy shit. I didn't see the pic:

Attachment Attached File

Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Holy cow.
View Quote

Yep, factory P/W's from Windham Bushies were always fine from what I remember. These possibly left as SBR uppers and were later welded by monkeys, Century Arms, or blind third world children.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I never noticed the other bushmasters they had for sale. Looks like Bubba got the job done on those.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep, factory P/W's from Windham Bushies were always fine from what I remember. These possibly left as SBR uppers and were later welded by monkeys, Century Arms, or blind third world children.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy cow.

Factory P/W were double pinned and welded and a PITA to remove.

Edited again/disregard. My brain is having a shit day.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy cow.

I actually did not know that, I was a teenager when I encountered the majority of the Bushmaster Izzy P/W's and never really tinkered until I got older.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Potato pics of my 1999 14.5" Bushmaster upper I custom ordered that year. Back then you called Bushmaster and left a voice recording with your part choices and they would assemble the parts for free - including pin and weld. They did a good job and got the order right.

Older style Phantom. I ordered it to put on a pre-ban Bushmaster lower I had at the time. When the ban expired I obtained a Bushmaster Windham lower - sold the pre-ban lower.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Tried to get the buffer tube off but it’s on there tight. The castle nut isn’t even staked and I can’t get it off.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tried to get the buffer tube off but it’s on there tight. The castle nut isn’t even staked and I can’t get it off.
View Quote

Possibly thread locker. Vise it/heat it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one 16" Bushmaster ultra lightweight bbl marked B MP and it isn't chrome lined or nitrided. It was from their Carbon 15 line, I think bought it in '09. It is a 1/9 and shot really good, but I hate the fact it's not treated or lined. But I think you're right, other than those ultra lightweight bbls put on those piece of shit Carbon 15, BM were all chrome lined.

Nowadays, I don't think any of their bbls are chrome lined, they all appear to state SBN(Nitride).

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy cow.

Holy shit. I didn't see the pic:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20230518-055520_Samsung_Inter-2820387.JPG

Ouch.

Jeez, that's not a pin & weld, lol.  They just welded the muzzle device to the barrel
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are not 40L they are the regular 40 stand alone with the notched small peep sight.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

These are not 40L they are the regular 40 stand alone with the notched small peep sight.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46983/IMG_2940_jpeg-2836271.JPG

I should have looked closer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know I removed several of the dreaded Mini-Y comps from Bushmaster barrels and they had one pin.

I'd grind down until I felt I was into the pin, rock the comp back and forth with a wrench to expose the pin as the grinding blended the pin and the comp together. Turn the pin facing down, smack the comp a few times, the pin would usually just fall out.

Easy job actually.

ETA- these were NOT Windahm Weaponry products, rather original Bushmaster ban era comps.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I has one.  

I went all M4 with it but missed the simplicity and now it's back to factory except for the sling RE baseplate it had when I got it; apparently installed by the PD that had it before.

I tossed the horrible sling and its has a basic Magpul sling now.

I have some fancy ARs but this one has the silkiest, smoothest action of all of them.  I'm curious the round-count.  The barrel looks great (CL) on the bore scope.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know I removed several of the dreaded Mini-Y comps from Bushmaster barrels and they had one pin.

I'd grind down until I felt I was into the pin, rock the comp back and forth with a wrench to expose the pin as the grinding blended the pin and the comp together. Turn the pin facing down, smack the comp a few times, the pin would usually just fall out.

Easy job actually.

ETA- these were NOT Windahm Weaponry products, rather original Bushmaster ban era comps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy job actually.

No personal experience with the Mini-Y comps, but the Izzy were a bitch, IME.

ARCHIVED THREAD LINK ON Mini-Y REMOVAL

Also, a 2007 response from BM regarding their Izzy comps:

"Hello,
Subject: Muzzle Brakes & Flash Hiders, permanently attached.

Bushmaster muzzle brakes and flash hiders that are permanently attached are done so in the following manner ; The unit is threaded onto the barrel, blind hole drilled in two places into the threads, holes are pinned, pins are welded over, welds are ground flush and the complete barrel assembly is then sent to finish.
Free float handguards that replace the barrel nut can not be installed on these barrels.
In order to remove the unit without damaging the muzzle the pins must be drilled or ground to below the threads before removal of the unit. This will usually damage the flash hider or brake so that it can not be reused. The threads of the muzzle may still have some damage that would require chasing with a die before replacing the flash hider or brake.
In order to bring the barrel back to legal length the replacement flash hider or brake must be long enough to bring the total length to 16" or longer overall length. It must also be permanently attached according to BATF standards by high temperature silver soldering or pinning and welding. An A2 bird cage is not long enough to do that. The Phantoms and Izzy flash suppressors are long enough.
Bushmaster is not set up to do individual piecework on barrels so it would need to be done by a gunsmithing shop or a machine shop.
This shop http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax. ... 5/1132.htm and this shop http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm are a couple that offer services to replace the brake with a flash suppressor.

Thank you,

Jim Eden
Technical Support
Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC
Office: 1-800-883-6229 ext. 277
Fax: 207-892-8068"
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I has one.  

I went all M4 with it but missed the simplicity and now it's back to factory except for the sling RE baseplate it had when I got it; apparently installed by the PD that had it before.

I tossed the horrible sling and its has a basic Magpul sling now.

I have some fancy ARs but this one has the silkiest, smoothest action of all of them.  I'm curious the round-count.  The barrel looks great (CL) on the bore scope.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577817/20191130_170502_jpg-2838324.JPG
View Quote

Looks great. Did yours come with a carry handle? I heard these rifles should have 2k or lower round count.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was a bitch took a bunch of heat, AR wrench and a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I had a couple of RRA the same way. Uncalled for.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Done with this rifle now. Slapped a new bushmaster auto BCG w logo in it. Trigger pin was walking so I swapped it out with a nickel boron one I had laying around.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Might consider replacing the FCG springs if the trigger pin was walking. Hammer spring should provide enough tension to keep that from happening. Contrary to popular belief not all LE guns are shot once a year and some trade ins, rifles in particular, might be genuinely worn out. Fortunately that's easy to fix with a new barrel, bolt group, and springs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Might consider replacing the FCG springs if the trigger pin was walking. Hammer spring should provide enough tension to keep that from happening. Contrary to popular belief not all LE guns are shot once a year and some trade ins, rifles in particular, might be genuinely worn out. Fortunately that's easy to fix with a new barrel, bolt group, and springs.
View Quote

I heard from a guy who knows about these rifles and he said about 2k rounds through it maybe. I replaced the entire trigger group and pins. Shouldn’t be walking anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top