Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2018 2:31:35 PM EDT
I have narrowed down my selection to the Burris XTR II 4-20 or the SWFA 3-15. The SWFA is a little cheaper and has good reviews,seems very rigid and dependable. I really like the Burris overall but is it worth the extra $200? It will be paired with my Larue6.5 Grendel for range shooting. Any experience with these scopes appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The SWFA is made in Japan I believe, where the Burris is made in the Philippines... and I've always read where the SWFA scopes get very good reviews for tracking and glass clarity and what  good value they are for the money.

I have a Burris XTR 1-5x on my AR that I am very happy with.

I would say which one has the reticle and features you like,want.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the swfa scopes but I have two of the Burris XTR II and they have been great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The XTR II’s are very nice optics, but I love my SWFA’s. They really hit at a weight above their price point. They have outstanding craftsmanship, track well, and have great glass. I only wish it had 10 mil turrets and a true zero stop. I have two fixed powers and two 3-15 FFP’s now, the 3-15 FFP is my go-to optic going forward on builds calling for an optic in its niche.

ETA: I’ve always kept half an eye out for them on the EE. The 3-15 FFP can usually be scored at about 500. That’s what I bought both of mine at. SWFA also has good sales at major holidays that usually equal buying a new one from them at about the going price of a gently used one. Samplelist also has revolving stock of used ones of varying models.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 2:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My XTR II (Burris etched in cursive with the mountain logo) is made in Japan.

The old block print Burris with circle looking logo were made in the Phillipines.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I went for the fixed power SWFA 12x $235 during the Tax Day sale at SWFA. I really like the looks of the XTR II but for my purpose of shooting steel at fixed distances, I just could not justify the extra $$. I have read good reviews on the SWFA performance for the investment. Does anyone know where the glass is manufactured for the SWFA? Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a swfa 10x with the rear focus . it is a decent scope for the money I wish I had spent the extra money and got side focus . like the other gentleman said wait for a sale I got mine along with rings and level for 250.00 . I would also like to say after about a month of shooting I noticed something floating across the reticle the best I could tell it was a metal shaving . one call and they gave me a rmf number I put the scope in the mail the next day and in less than a week I had a new one setting at the door . they do stand by their product another good selling point I think .
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My XTR II (Burris etched in cursive with the mountain logo) is made in Japan.

The old block print Burris with circle looking logo were made in the Phillipines.
View Quote
Which model of the XTR II do you have?

To the best of my knowledge, the 1-8x24 is made in Japan, while the other models are made in the Phillipines.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of SWFA.  I have their 1-4x24, and just sold my FFP 3-9x42 to purchase a FFP 3-15x42.  The reticle is awesome and the lifetime warranty is great for peace-of-mind (though I've never had to use it).

As one of the other posters mentioned: pick the reticle you like best, and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
SWFA scopes are great value for the money.
Of the 2 you mentioned, I'd go with SWFA.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The SWFA 12x arrived yesterday, I must say the glass is very good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#12]
No experience with the Burris but i have 2 SWFAs.  Both are really good optics and despite being several years old the 1-6HD is still really tough to beat at its price point (it's reticle is awesome).

That being said i'm no brand whore with optics.  Cost, weight, glass quality, reticle and matching turrets are what concern me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#13]
i just bought a 1-6 FFP SWFA for $599 shipped which seems like a good deal.

i chose it over the Gen 2 Vortex PST 1-6 at almost identical price point.

Did I make a mistake?  From what I read, SWFA is made in Japan, has the "HD" glass, tough as nails, great reticle.

Not sure if it goes on 16" .308, 16" 6.5Grendel, or 16" 5.56....first world problems
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I own both.  Turrets are much better in the Burris.  I'd say glass is pretty close.  Both track well.  My xtr ll 2-10x illumination went out and it was hardly used.  Getting ready to send it back
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top