BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2018 3:57:22 AM EDT
Any real experience with the new 1-6 Burris yet? Really interested in a comparison of the current 1-6 and 1-8 Vortex Strike Eagles. Those who have used both, is the glass better than the 1-8 SE. I currently own a 1-8 SE, but am interested in possibly switching to the RT6.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1-6 SE, and it is crap. Seriously, the cheap Bushnell AR Optic LPVs are better scopes.

I had a Burris MTAC before this, but I had the CQB reticle and I wanted something with more precision, but still be able to have a fast defensive capability. At the time, there was not a MTAC with that sort of reticle, thought there is now, and the RT-6 has it too.

The RT-6 has the same glass and reticle as the MTAC.

It is far superior to the SE in every way.

The SE has mushy turrets, that are not tactile or audible. The elevation turret is so bad that it will move five clicks or so before you ever feel it click. You have to be really careful and find the "notch" that you're looking for. It holds where it's set, but it's aggravating. The windage isn't as bad, but the MTAC was audible and tactile. Very solid feeling.

The glass, clarity isn't even close in favor of the MTAC, and low light is just as far apart in quality.

The glass in the MTAC, and the RT-6 is fights well above it's weight in price, while the SE should be priced in the $150 range at most, well below what it sells for. Like I said, the AR Optic was superior. I had that one on my Tavor before the MTAC, and upgraded.

Eye relief. Big time in favor of the Burris.

Just a quick thing.

With the Tavor, the optic rail is too low for most scopes unless you really bend your neck. With the MTAC I was able to mount it in a PEPR mount, and it was fine. I could close my eyes, and raise the rifle, and open my eyes, and on any power I had the correct eyebox view. On 1X the scope disappeared, like it was a red dot sight, ,almost.

The SE, I mounted it in the same PEPR mount, and I had to end up buying one of the riser mounts to get a decent view through the scope.It's like looking through a paper towel tube even on 1X.

I could make out bullet holes and details on 4X with the MTAC better than I can on anywhere from 4-6X on the SE.

I live out in the country, and I end up having to shoot a lot of varmints, yotes, foxes etc, on the run in the dark at night. There is a noticeable difference in speed on target, FOV, and target identification between the two. Like I said, I had the AR Optic with the horsehoe reticle, and it was far better at that than the SE, but not as good as the MTAC.

I will be replacing the SE as soon as I can afford to do so. The RT-6 is what I'm going with, unless I get a spectacular deal on an MTAC with the same reticle.

If I find I can't afford a Burris for some reason, I will replace it with an AR Optic. I consider that a major upgrade over the SE.

I honestly have never hated a scope so bad. I've had low end from BSA to decent glass from Leupold and the Bushnell Elite 6500 series. Never had anything over $1000 in a scope, but I've shot rifles with scopes worth several grand, NF , Swarovski etc. I never hated BSA that bad.

Also, actually stepped out to shoot a fox about 30 minutes ago. Couldn't get off a shot, just not enough fov and clarity to track it before it got to the woods. I would have got a shot, possibly a good hit with the MTAC for sure, easily. He wasn't running that fast or zig zagging. Just running from left to right at a slight angle away from me, would have been almost a broadside shot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the new RT6 on my 308 and the old SE on my M10X 7.62.  Optics quality of the Burris RT6 is hands down much better than the SE 1-6.  Eye box on the RT6 at 6x is much more forgiving compared to the SE. I'm confident enough with this new Burris to put it on my match 308 for the upcoming 3 gun season.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Burris blows the strike eagle out of the water.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary Arms speculated that it might be discontinued already when I asked if they planned on getting more in. Take that with a grain of salt of course, this was a prediction that Burris was releasing new products at shot. The RT6 is very high on my short list for optics I want. Midway had them on sale for $299 with free shipping recently, I did not buy...yet. Hope this did not derail
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I really liked the RT-6.  Here is my write-up:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2017

ILya
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't really see them discontinuing an optic after a year like that. Especially when it's been getting rave reviews.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ILya
View Quote
As usual, another well written review. I’m glad you’re posting here more, Ilya.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I think I'm going to sell my SE 1-8 and buy the RT6/FF3 combo. This is the info I was looking for, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you guys feel this stacks up against the PA 1-6. Non platinum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do you guys feel this stacks up against the PA 1-6. Non platinum.
View Quote
I had 2 PA 1-6's and they were ok, but fogged really bad on me during wet/cold weather.  I sold them both.

The RT6 is far better.  Glass is really really good for an optic in this price!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had 2 PA 1-6's and they were ok, but fogged really bad on me during wet/cold weather.  I sold them both.

The RT6 is far better.  Glass is really really good for an optic in this price!
View Quote
Interesting. I really like my PA 1-6 but I’m replacing the barrel on the rifle it sits on with a LaRue Stealth. So I’m going to probably want better glass on it but I’m not looking to spend a ton.

In fact, since I have to other “CQB” guns, I’m not even sure if I still want a 1-6 on it.

But for the price and how much you guys love it, this has my attention.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ILya
Ditto.  I'm going to look into picking up one.  At any particular price point, glass (optical performance) is my first criteria.  I can do without frills if image quality is there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ditto.  I'm going to look into picking up one.  At any particular price point, glass (optical performance) is my first criteria.  I can do without frills if image quality is there.
View Quote
If I could find an RT6 in stock, I’d have one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife ordered me one for Christmas in mid-December from OpticsPlanet, and it's still backordered.  Everyone seems to be out of them.  I'm HOPING that Burris is so occupied with SHOT products and prototypes that their line for the RT6 has simply fallen behind.  I looked through what LPV scopes I could get my hands on, and read what reviews I could at the time, and this seemed like the best bang for the buck...but so far for me, it's vaporware.  Here's hoping...
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you guys checked with CSTactical?
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you guys checked with CSTactical?
View Quote
Page says in stock, but when you add to the cart...not available  :(
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The SE is a POS. I recommended to two of my buddies to get one when they first came out, b/c, hey... it’s Vortex. Nope. Couldn’t get a zero to save my life, and in retrospect I think Pavlo nailed it above when he mentioned the turrets. Returned those two. Got two new replacements and sold them unopened. Bought the guys each a Leupold VXR instead. Much better... the SE wasn’t even in the same league. Chinese junk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I looked at the PA 1-6x and the Vortex SE. the PA was clearly the better scope. I’ve banged it up pretty good hog hunting with it last year.

Curious how the RT6 compares to the PA and how much better the XTR II glass is compared to the RT6.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I looked at the PA 1-6x and the Vortex SE. the PA was clearly the better scope. I've banged it up pretty good hog hunting with it last year.

Curious how the RT6 compares to the PA and how much better the XTR II glass is compared to the RT6.
View Quote
The Vortex and PA 1-6/1-8 scopes are made in the same factory. Pretty much the only difference is the reticle. It's mediocre Chinese glass either way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I looked at the PA 1-6x and the Vortex SE. the PA was clearly the better scope. I’ve banged it up pretty good hog hunting with it last year.

View Quote
I couldn't tell the 'practical' differences between my XTRII 1.5-8 (about 14 months old and the new RT6.)  Now that I have both, comparing the two, I went for the edge-to-edge flatness test at the low end of magnification (1x - 1.5x) and any weird color tint/rendition, both are so close to each other that for my application in 3 gunning, they are the same league.  At top magnification, I compared the eye box 'envelope' to see how quick I can settled in with clear view through the optics without any shadows, this is where the $ spend on optics pays off IMO, again, at 6x (top range of the RT6 so I set the XTRII to 6x also), both have the same eye box for me.  If you ask me which would I buy if the two are available side by side, I would certainly pick the RT6 for its value over the XTRII.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have both the XTR II 1-8x24 and RT-6 1-6x24.

How much better is a little subjective, but it is better.  Now, if you do not need FFP and 8x, I will freely admit that RT-6 is easily the better bang for the buck.

XTR II gives you more capability and the way the reticle looks at 1x, it may a little faster, but that is hard to tell.  In terms of how forgiving they are to get behind, I think it is pretty close.

As I said in my review, I am exceedingly impressed with what RT-6 offers for the money.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone find one in stock lately? I’m pretty bummed out I didn’t order from midway, ended getting something else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I appreciate all the info in this thread as I'm looking to upgrade the PA 1-6x ACSS on my Recce, however, most of the comparisons seem to be between the RT6 and XTR ii 1-8x.  Is there anyone that can provide a comparison between the RT6 and XTR ii 1-5x, as this seems like a better 1-to-1 comparison than juxtaposing the RT6 with the 1-8x.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the info in this thread as I'm looking to upgrade the PA 1-6x ACSS on my Recce, however, most of the comparisons seem to be between the RT6 and XTR ii 1-8x.  Is there anyone that can provide a comparison between the RT6 and XTR ii 1-5x, as this seems like a better 1-to-1 comparison than juxtaposing the RT6 with the 1-8x.
View Quote
Bravo5Two's post above is probably as close of a comparison review as you will get. He has the 1.5-8x XTR II. I assume everything is equal except the magnification.

I have a PA 1-6x on my RECCE as well and looking to upgrade soon. The PA has been good but after using the Athlon Cronus on my precision rifle, I can now tell a big difference when I pick up the PA. I can't seem to get the eye piece focused just right.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the RT-6 and PST Gen II 1-6. When comparing the two scopes unmounted and closing one eye at 1x, the Vortex has a flatter image, the edge to edge clarity is a good bit better, larger eye box and the illuminated dot is like an Aimpoint.

With that being said, once the scope is mounted and both eyes open, the issues at 1x largely disappear. At 6x the biggest difference is Burris’s typical CA.

At half the price and 4 oz lighter, it’s hard to not at least try the RT-6.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have the RT-6 and PST Gen II 1-6. When comparing the two scopes unmounted and closing one eye at 1x, the Vortex has a flatter image, the edge to edge clarity is a good bit better, larger eye box and the illuminated dot is like an Aimpoint.

With that being said, once the scope is mounted and both eyes open, the issues at 1x largely disappear. At 6x the biggest difference is Burris’s typical CA.

At half the price and 4 oz lighter, it’s hard to not at least try the RT-6.
View Quote
This is how I felt comparing the RT-6 side by side with my XTR II 1-5 ... the XTR and RT both had minor to noticeable CA on the high end of magnification.. however... the clarity and resolution were very similar... almost not discernible ... The eyebox had a very slight tube effect in the occular of the RT compared to the XTR II ... the XTR II's occular lens sits back further in the eyepiece.. But its only noticeable side by side.

RT-6 is an incredible value and from what I've compared it to, its closer in quality to the XTR LPVO than a PA Gen III. But the PA is still a nice optic for the price. It just felt like you got a little more with the RT.

I have pics side by side in another RT-6 thread just below this one in the optics forum.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I called Burris this morning and asked the rep I spoke to if this scope was being discontinued, and she said that they were expecting to resume shipping it next month (February).
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I called Burris this morning and asked the rep I spoke to if this scope was being discontinued, and she said that they were expecting to resume shipping it next month (February).
View Quote
Good news.  Word is out about the value/price/performance ratio and shelves are empty.  Still waiting to place my order with a gift promo coupon for discount from Optics Planet from an earlier purchase.  Just need to see them back in stock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:50:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for reaching out to Burris and providing some info here.  I've had one on order from Optics Planet since black friday!  It was listed as 3-7 week backorder I think when I ordered, then went to indefinite backorder a week or 2 ago.  Hopefully will get it next month!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
No experience with either Vortex or PA 1-6/1-8 other than looking thru them on friends ARs.
Please keep in mind I don't have experience with high end glass.
I bought a Burris MTAC 1-4x with the Ballistic AR reticle as soon as I could get one. First one had issues holding zero. Burris replaced very quick and the second one has been great.
I love it.
As soon as the RT-6 was available I got one.
While the reticle is the same as the 1-4 it is slightly larger in every way. I wasn't expecting that.
I have considerably more time behind the 1-4 but have done some 3 gun with the 1-6 and like it a lot so far.
Both have been very reliable and get beat around a good bit.
Neither is day light bright but I seldom use illumination in bright light anyway.
Both are mounted in Midwest Industries newest style QD mounts, highly recommend those. Repeated removal/install on the guns with no loss of zero.
I know this isn't much in the way of tech info but I do highly recommend either of the above scopes and mounts.
I have about 10 different Burris optics and have only had to use their very good (IMO) customer service once.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I had the Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle and for the most part, liked it.  My one major complaint about it was that, for me, the stadia lines were way too thick.  The dot would cover a 3-inch circle at 200 yards.  I bought two of the Burris RT-6 scopes before they went out of stock everywhere and I like them better because the reticle lines are thin enough that I can tell exactly where I am shooting and thick enough to see in dim light.  I shot two does last year with my AR and the RT-6.  If I ever get the RT-6 that is on back order, I am going to mount it on a 3-gun AR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
This is not what I think of as the target audience for this scope but I guess some dudes are using it that way.

Burris RT6 Tactical Riflescope
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#34]
They are currently in stock online at Scheels, I received mine the other day and got it mounted up, but havent shot it yet. It replaced a Bushnell AR 1-4x24 FFP.  I really like the RT6 reticle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ILya
Yeah arf should give Ilya a column here if he wants one a co column with Vortex Sam would be extremely educational...
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah arf should give Ilya a column here if he wants one a co column with Vortex Sam would be extremely educational...
View Quote
Thank You for your kind words.

As a general observation, I am always looking for ideas on what to write about next.  A lot of topics I touch on come from questions I get on the forums or via my website.  If there is anything specific you have in mind, I'll be happy to look into it.

ILya
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Greetings:

New member and first time poster.

I have a Bushmaster BR-308 MOE (not a high end gun but very reliable and pretty accurate with the irons) and I'm looking at putting on the  RT-6 with FF. Anyone know how close the BDC stadia line up at the various ranges for typical 308/7.62 ammo? Seems most optics are optimized for 5.56 (not too surprising)

I'm sure I can make it work but just curious.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#38]
It's your rig so I don't want to tell you how to set it up or run it but I personally don't feel the need to run a Fast Fire type red dot in addition to a 1-4 or 1-6 on any of my LPV ARs.
Both my Burris RT-6 and 1-4 MTAC provide great both eyes open shooting on 1x.
I do have a fixed 5x Burris AR536 with a FFIII on top and those do work well together for me.
Just trying to save you some money...
I can't answer you .308 questions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's your rig so I don't want to tell you how to set it up or run it but I personally don't feel the need to run a Fast Fire type red dot in addition to a 1-4 or 1-6 on any of my LPV ARs.
Both my Burris RT-6 and 1-4 MTAC provide great both eyes open shooting on 1x.
I do have a fixed 5x Burris AR536 with a FFIII on top and those do work well together for me.
Just trying to save you some money...
I can't answer you .308 questions.
View Quote
Thanks for the input! Like most saving money is high on my list. On the 536 how's the eye relief? I've considered the same 536 with FF but I heard the eye relief is a little lacking but otherwise it's a good scope. I admit the EO Tech I used down range made me a fan of how fast a red dot can engage closer in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't really see them discontinuing an optic after a year like that. Especially when it's been getting rave reviews.
View Quote
Burris was having QC issues on the recent batched of RT-6s. There are working with the factory to correct the issues. Last word I received directly from a Burris employee was to expect them in late Spring. I've had one on order for over 3 months.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input! Like most saving money is high on my list. On the 536 how's the eye relief? I've considered the same 536 with FF but I heard the eye relief is a little lacking but otherwise it's a good scope. I admit the EO Tech I used down range made me a fan of how fast a red dot can engage closer in.
View Quote
The eye relief does suck.
I had to run it on the very rear of the upper receiver leaving no room for BUIS.  It is now on a "truck gun". For BUIS I am using GG&G 45* off-sets with the rear sight mounted in front of the AR536. Works fine.
Since getting into LPV 1-4 & 1-6 it is almost all I shoot with anymore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Burris was having QC issues on the recent batched of RT-6s. There are working with the factory to correct the issues. Last word I received directly from a Burris employee was to expect them in late Spring. I've had one on order for over 3 months.

Mike
View Quote
/I've done a fair amount of research and it appears the RT-6 is the best combination of price/quality/performance for me. May have to wait for spring to get one but it will give me time to save the money too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

/I've done a fair amount of research and it appears the RT-6 is the best combination of price/quality/performance for me. May have to wait for spring to get one but it will give me time to save the money too.
View Quote
I just picked one up this week.  Early impressions.

pros
glass is really nice for the price point
eyebox is pretty forgiving
I like the reticle
Turrets reset to zero.
Cons
Its a bit heavy, but pretty competitive with most 1-6 scopes
Turrets on mine aren't really audible.  scope tracks well but I wish the clicks were more aubible
It is most definitely not daylight bright-  the illumination works well on overcast days or inside but in bright sunlight it washes out completely.  The good thing is it doesn't need illumination as the reticle is easily visible with illumination off.
Overall its a nice scope but if true daylight bright illumination is high on your list you will be disappointed(of course you will be disappointed with anything in this price range)
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote
Similar story here, I ordered mine November 18th. Good to know I'm not the only one and there is hope.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I sent an email over to a Burris representative asking them if they had an idea on when the new Rt-6's will be released because the threads I have been reading are months old and back then Burris didn't really know a time frame.  As of April 11th, the rep told me they should be back in stock sometime in May. I hope this is correct and everyone who has one on back-order will get their RT-6 scopes shortly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:34:01 AM EDT
[#46]
This is good news to me. I have a 1-4 MTAC and have been waiting to find one for months. I’ve been keeping tabs on their FB page. Every now and then they’ll post a pic with a RT6. When I ask about availability, they just say should be in stock soon. This has been going on since Dec. when I started looking for one. Hope the May timeframe is legit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I found an RT-6 locally that I’m considering buying. What kind of QC issues were they having with the first batch? I assume this local one is from the first batch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I found an RT-6 locally that I’m considering buying. What kind of QC issues were they having with the first batch? I assume this local one is from the first batch.
View Quote
Don't worry about warranty with Burris, their warranty is good to go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I think whatever it was wasn't a huge deal, reason why I believe this is b/c they didn't take their products off the shelf but yet waited till all their products were sold before revising the RT-6. It could have been a small batch that had issues, tough to say but they sold every one of them and haven't read any other forums of people complaining of a defective scope.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Anybody heard when Burris will resume production of the RT6? it's been quite awhile. I would have thought Burris would have corrected the issues at the manufacturing plant by now. Not sure what the hold up is. Responses to my inquiries to Burris directly come back somewhat vague- "we don't know when it will resume production, we are working to correct the issue". Anybody know what the issue was that could be holding up production for approx 4-5 mths of a product that was highly rated? Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top