Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 3:12:10 PM EDT
I had a round fire out of battery and the bullet is stuck about one third of the way from the tip end of the barrel. I tried tapping at it with a cleaning rod but it won’t budge. This is in a 10.5 inch 9mm upper. How do I get it out?

I have a heat gun and was thinking of trying to heat the barrel up and maybe it would come out but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask people here on the forum before proceeding. Should I just take it to the local gunsmith?

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Pour some oil in from the muzzle and try again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a solid brass rod maybe about 7mm in diameter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
dowel, hard wood or steel slightly smaller then the barrel, whack the shit out of it. Don't use a cleaning rod or anything hollow. You can wrap the steel rod in tape if you are worried about the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried pouring some oil in from the muzzle and tapping on it with some steel rod I had in the garage and that worked. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. Y’all motivated me to get this fixed and I appreciate it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Brass rod and hammer or black powder bullet puller attachment for future reference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
What about pouring some copper remover in there and let it sit, may eat away just enough to start the push, use with caution as some is time sensitive.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks!
You could remove the bullet from a fresh round and stuff some cotton into the case to hold the powder in place. Then fire the round as usual, minus the bullet. This should fire out the stuck round?
I've never tried this so proceed at your own risk . I see no reason it wouldn't work though?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Welding supply houses sell brazing rods of various diameters that work fabulously to knock bullets out of a barrel..  The rods are about three feet long and I keep long ones at the house, and foot long ones in the range bag.  So far, they have never failed to get a stuck bullet out of the bore with no damage to the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks!
You could remove the bullet from a fresh round and stuff some cotton into the case to hold the powder in place. Then fire the round as usual, minus the bullet. This should fire out the stuck round?
I've never tried this so proceed at your own risk . I see no reason it wouldn't work though?
View Quote

Uhhh...no man.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s usually easier to back it out than press it forward if it’s not too far down.  

You can usually tap it back out with a brass rod.  Squirt a bit of lube behind it.  Use a tight fitting rod.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not no, But HELL NO.

The pressure behind the stuck bullet, is going to budge the barrel from the chamber all the way to where the bullet was stuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks!

Not no, But HELL NO.

The pressure behind the stuck bullet, is going to budge the barrel from the chamber all the way to where the bullet was stuck.

You may be correct, I honestly don't know. You mention a stuck bullet? Yea, the bullet is stuck but no more stuck than a fresh bullet squeezing down a rifled barrel, or did I miss something? Why would you think pressure would be HIGHER than normal behind the bullet? If the bullet is further down the barrel to start with the pressure has a larger void to expand, I would assume pressure may actually be less than normal because the bullet is starting further away. Once pressure built high enough the bullet should be pushed down the barrel as usual?
I'm curious why you think pressure would be higher. I'm probably missing something obvious.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You may be correct, I honestly don't know. You mention a stuck bullet? Yea, the bullet is stuck but no more stuck than a fresh bullet squeezing down a rifled barrel, or did I miss something? Why would you think pressure would be HIGHER than normal behind the bullet? If the bullet is further down the barrel to start with the pressure has a larger void to expand, I would assume pressure may actually be less than normal because the bullet is starting further away. Once pressure built high enough the bullet should be pushed down the barrel as usual?
I'm curious why you think pressure would be higher. I'm probably missing something obvious.
View Quote

55-58K psi turned loose behind a bbl obstruction is dancing with the devil man. It'll fuck shit up.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

55-58K psi turned loose behind a bbl obstruction is dancing with the devil man. It'll fuck shit up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that. BUT, a bullet traveling down a barrel isn't really an obstruction any more than if the bullet started at the beginning of the rifling. Again, maybe I'm missing something important.
I could see an issue if someone was pounding on the bullet with a rod beforehand and the bullet was squeezed tighter into the grooves? I've seen videos of 9mm barrels filled with Lead, glue, concrete etc and when a round was fired it just shot the material forward along with the bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3V8mK5FadI
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand that. BUT, a bullet traveling down a barrel isn't really an obstruction any more than if the bullet started at the beginning of the rifling. Again, maybe I'm missing something important.
I could see an issue if someone was pounding on the bullet with a rod beforehand and the bullet was squeezed tighter into the grooves? I've seen videos of 9mm barrels filled with Lead, glue, concrete etc and when a round was fired it just shot the material forward along with the bullet.

View Quote

That's some epic retarded shit there for sure. YT breeds it's own, I'm sure of it.

21K psi and 55K psi are 2 different rides. To each their own I guess . Not this guy.

Again, brass rod and hammer. Tap it out towards the chamber. 3 minute chore. Done.

Eta: re read, see that the OP states 9mm, so ~35K PSI chamber pressure.

Still wouldn't try dislodging with a blank cartridge of any sort personally.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's some epic retarded shit there for sure. YT breeds it's own, I'm sure of it.

21K psi and 55K psi are 2 different rides. To each their own I guess . Not this guy.

Again, brass rod and hammer. Tap it out towards the chamber. 3 minute chore. Done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, he makes videos that test guns and armor in ways that aren't exactly ''safety first''. Some of the stuff he does is informative at times since it's not something you normally see at home .
I'm guessing the difference in opinions as to the ''stuck'' bullet causing over pressure is how stuck it is? If this was a 300 shot in a 5.56 then it would be what I consider actually stuck. A 9mm bullet that was fired out of battery and simply didn't have enough pressure to clear the barrel isn't actually ''stuck'', IMO, the bullet was still made to fit the barrel. The bullet simply needs enough pressure to be pushed the remainder of the way out of the barrel like it should have been originally (before the out of battery discharge caused pressure loss).
We could ask the Demolition ranch guy to make a video of this situation so we know what the result would be? I'll buy you a free mag if his gun blows up .
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you sure there is only one bullet in the bore?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Read Hatcher's Notebook.

B
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Solid brass rod and a couple hard whacks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something called static friction that must be overcome
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
So what caused the OOB?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty easy on a pistol caliber since the bolt does not lock up and just slams the round into place. Spring and buffer may need to be changed. Most 9mm require an extended length, 8 ounce buffer and a very heavy recoil spring to insure the bolt closes fully and stays closed.

Had a few on my build until I got this sorted out. Originally had a buffer that was too short and too light and somehow installed the wrong recoil spring(mixed it with another build going at the same time).

My 2 OOBs cleared the barrel but in the past, oil and an old brass or aluminum rod have worked well at clearing squibs. I always drive from the chamber to the muzzle to take advantage of the bullet's round nose. Oil from the muzzle and let it soak until you can see it in the barrel when looking from the chamber. You should then be able to tap it out easily using a rod and small hammer. Resist the urge to use hard rods and big hammers!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I realize your barrel is longer.....i had a bullet stuck about midway down a 5inch 1911 barrel years ago......tap it out with a wood dowel rod.....no beating involved
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So what caused the OOB?
View Quote

The main thing I see wrong with all the AR9 guns is they will fire out of battery. Usually from bumpfiring or just a fast finger can make one fire about 1/2" back from full in battery. I have a few blown cases to prove it and just about any other person that likes to fire fast has done so also. Never stuck a bullet yet though. But I run 99% cast powder coated bullets. They are pretty slippery.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top