Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My method:

Wipe out surplus metal ammo can
Unbox ammo and pour loose into the ammo can
Fold up one box the ammo came in and insert it somewhere in the can (for lot numbers and to double verify ammo type)
Add dessicant pack inside of cardboard box for double extra insurance.
Print label and put on outside of can, usually something like "AE 124 FMJ"

1,000 rounds of 9mm per 30 cal ammo can
1,000 rounds of 5.56 per 50 cal ammo can

I keep defensive ammo in a can of its own without unboxing it.
View Quote
Exactly what I do but I dump the defensive ammo too
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ran into something this weekend that caused me to decide to change my answer a bit.

I normally buy 10 to 12 or so 50 cal chinese made cans from academy on black friday.  Free shipping at 100 bucks.  I do pay tax, so 11 dollars a can to my door.

Sportsmans guide blew out some 20mm ammo cans last year, 11 bucks to my door.  So far one lid has some bent lips but it can be opened and shut and seals so I just bent it so it stops scratching the paint.  I spent money on these last year and got no cans from academy from black friday.

Anyway, 45acp in boxes barely gives me over a case of ammo in a 20mm can.  Not amused.  But I have enough I did not start dumping ammo out in em.

40s&w in the box, much better and I have one more method to try to see if it does a tiny bit better.  Over 1500 rds in boxes in the can without trying hard.  I forget if it was 1600 rounds or a bit more, over a case and a half is a lot better than a case and a box which is about all I could do with the 45acp.

The shelving unit also got redone a bit.

A row of 20mm cans will run across the bottom and I plan to do it 2 cans high.  These are smaller shelves so they are about the depth of a 20mm can, 2 runs of 50 cal cans will stick out a bit.

I plan to play a bit and probably wind up with this being some of the bulk ammo storage I don't plan to use for a while.

I would be dumping the 45acp if it was all going to have to go into the 20mm cans.  But the 40s&w is dense enough I have a lot of extra cans wandering around.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Store all ammo in ammo cans with desiccant.  I don't need moisture to mess up my investment.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
wrong

depending how the cardboard was made it can be acidic and overtime destroy the brass.

IIRC it was mem ammo that was tarnished/corroded inside sealed battle packs due to the cardboard- I had about 5K of it I had to sort, the corrosion was from the case in contact with the cardboard, as there was a "line" down the side.

The pictures above were the worst I shot form the ammo SGammo had to get rid of. ETA sgammo had the DAG

Just because you haven’t seen it in your short time in this community doesn’t mean it didn't happen

ETA hirt from the 80s did it as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Cardboard will not do anything to damage the brass, quite the opposite actually.  
wrong

depending how the cardboard was made it can be acidic and overtime destroy the brass.

IIRC it was mem ammo that was tarnished/corroded inside sealed battle packs due to the cardboard- I had about 5K of it I had to sort, the corrosion was from the case in contact with the cardboard, as there was a "line" down the side.

The pictures above were the worst I shot form the ammo SGammo had to get rid of. ETA sgammo had the DAG

Just because you haven’t seen it in your short time in this community doesn’t mean it didn't happen

ETA hirt from the 80s did it as well
Wait, leaving ammo in battle packs is now not the way to go?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wait, leaving ammo in battle packs is now not the way to go?
View Quote
I don't think that was what Taylor was saying.  Those particular battle packs were a problem.  Maybe they were repackaged and not done right, maybe something else was happening.  But in general sealed battle packs should be perfect for storage.  Assuming they were packed correctly, they should be just like Uncle Sam's metal ammo cans straight from Lake City.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I just leave the bulk pack ammo in the plastic bag it came boxed in and throw that in a 50 cal ammo can?  Fits perfect...
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I put all of mine on stripper clips and put the ammo, spoon & desiccant in a 50cal can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh really? My ammo is stored in USGI ammo cans which are new or damn near new and in a room which is a constant temp all year and low humidity. I had ammo in boxes that corroded in perfect conditions and I'm not the only person who experienced this problem. Certain paper products contain chemicals and acids which are not good for long term storage. Ditch the boxes and cardboard, there's no need for it and it's better to be safe than sorry.
View Quote
Do you know how .mil ammo is stored?  And how long some of it is stored without issue?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just bought my first box of bulk packaged 5.56 and I’m wondering how people store it?

Do you just leave it in the box, or do you pull it all out and store it in other storage containers (like those plastic re-loading ammo boxes)?

Just curious if I should be investing in some other storage container to move the bulk pack ammo in to.

Thanks!
View Quote
I use Ammo cans and keep in original box or loaded magazines.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I leave it, "as is."

Because, in the event that I need money....I'll sell it off and the buyer isn't worried about what I might have done/messed with it.

Hey.....that's how it came from the factory.  Look.....factory tape.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
+1
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top