deleted
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
deleted
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The receiver extension should be flush, or very close to flush with the forward face of the lower receiver ring. A rifle receiver extension should be screwed into the lower receiver until the shoulder on the receiver extension is against the back of the lower receiver,  with the shoulder of the buffer retainer under the receiver extension. A carbine receiver extension should be threaded into the lower receiver until the  front edge makes contact with the narrow part of the buffer retainer (with the shoulder under the receiver extension), then backed out to the closest  position with the slot at the bottom. The buffer is supposed to stick out of the receiver extension a little bit.

Check to see that the firing pin and firing pin retaining pin are in the right position relative to each other.

Check that the firing pin can protrude from the boltface when the bolt is fully  pushed into the assembled bolt carrier.

Is the back of the bolt carrier assembly flush with the rear of the upper receiver when the bolt is locked into the barrel?

It is remotely possible that the barrel index pin is not seated in its slot in the upper receiver,  which could mean that the barrel is sitting too far forward for the hammer to completely drive the firing pin into the primer.

You did usea good grease on the upper receiver threads, and the barrel nut, right?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
removed
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While I had a hard time screwing the barrel in, I seated this properly im sure. Is it possible to screw the barrel on at all with it not seated? Id figure the FSB would be off center if that occurred and i still managed to screw the barrel in.
View Quote

The barrel extension simply slides into the upper receiver and is located via an index pin on extension and slot at receiver.

What "screwing " action are you performing?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel for ya, and don’t mean this in a negative way, but seems like there were several things with the assembly that weren’t right.

However, it’s entirely possible it’s a firing pin that isn’t in spec.

The first thing to do is headspace your BCG and barrel, safety first.

I’d do that before I swap any firing pins or anything else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The barrel extension simply slides into the upper receiver and is located via an index pin on extension and slot at receiver.

What "screwing " action are you performing?
View Quote

This was my question too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
deleted
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
removed
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Part 2:

Current issues are a click and no bang. There is no imprint of the firing pin on the primer and snap caps that I later used. I checked the hammer springs and they're installed correctly when comparing to other builds so im really not sure what it could be, the firing pin looks like it could be too short and im in the process of sending it back and replacing it with a Wilson combat BCG.
The buffer tube sticks out from the lower receiver which stops the rifle from coming apart when the rear take-down pin is depressed and requires the whole upper come off the gun. I've attempted to mess with the distance the tube is screwed into the buffer slot but it makes no real difference. Only thing i can deduce is perhaps the hole for the buffer retainer is drilled too forward. Im going to attempt to fix this with a reinforced buffer retainer. I believe the increased diameter may alleviate the issue somewhat but im not sure.
View Quote

this sounds wrong.  pics?  it's normal for the buffer to protrude from the buffer tube.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Picture_posting_tutorial_and_PICTURE_test_thread/168-638569/?

imgur is better than photobucket
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Pics of hammer /trigger assembly/fire control pocket and buffer retainer pin/buffer tube with buffer/spring installed?

I highly doubt that it's a BCG issue with that Microbest, but anything is possible I suppose.

Are you certain that the barrel assembly is fully seated into the upper receiver? How was the fit, barrel extension to upper receiver? Did it slide in no issues or was it snug requiring some effort?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
removed
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
well,
the barrel extension looks to be seated to the right depth inside the upper receiver,
the hammer spring is not upside down (good),
the firing pin protrusion looks normal (good),
the buffer-retainer-pin hole looks right (good), i.e. not "drilled too far forward".
the buffer protrusion looks perfectly normal.

Quoted:
Upon inspecting the BCG after the failure to fire. I discovered the firing pin retainer was not pushed in all the way after I had disassembled it for lubrication. Although, after correcting this I tested with snapcaps which do not appear to have an imprint from the firing pin.  Going to take a look at it soon.
View Quote

sometimes on snapcaps, the faux primers are spring loaded, so might not show a primer dimple.  Real-life primers are made from a thin sheet metal to allow impact deformation.  Faux primers, not so, might be solid brass.  so have you taken it to the range since you discovered your firing pin retainer assembly error?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
removed
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#17]
removed
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
How centered is the gas tube in the upper when viewed from the bottom?

it is possible to torque the tube as you wrench on the barrel nut

http://www.m-guns.com/tool_new.php?product=gtb

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#19]
removed
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
sounds like its not going into battery.  if it  doesn't go into battery the entire way, the gun will not fire.
take a picture looking through the bottom of the upper without the bcg and show us the gas tube.

I think the reason the upper will not separate from the lower using the rear pin only is because the bcg isnt all the way forward.  I think the carrier key might be  binding on the bent gas tube.

your buffer tube and buffer installation is fine.

View Quote

Agreed.

Pics posted show nothing out of ordinary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#22]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im not quite sure, either the difference is trivial for the handguards (which are a pain in the ass either way so i doubt id notice a tighter fit) or its the roll pin hole, let me explain. I was able to straighten the barrel nut finally and upon close inspection, the gas tube pin hole will not line up without the gas tube being backed into the upper receiver. This presents a massive issue as the bcg will not go into battery or sit flush in thr upper at all without pushing the gas tube forward and the gas tube hole is nothing but stainless steel without backing it out. gas tube measurement is good but as expected the extra insert into the upper receiver measure’s completely out of spec and the distance from the gas tube hole and beginning of the carry handle appears to be off though im lacking the exact measurement as i write this. either way inserting the gas tube at an angle was a non-issue and this has been a nightmare of self-doubt only to be realized as two defective barrels. third times a charm now as i wait for a replacement. I honestly expect to find the bore of the 3rd barrel welded shut at this point
View Quote

Where did you find a spec for " gas tube hole to carry handle"? If the hand guards fit, the distance between the FSB and the delta ring is likely within spec. My guess would be the problem is better solved with a shim behind the barrel extension. BA barrels have a reputation, poorly deserved in my opinion, but it's not typically for being designed wrong. Most people report QA issues or poor accuracy. Unless you measure the precise 12.125"  from the step at the rear of the gas block seat to the barrel nut bearing surface of the barrel extension, you can't confirm the barrel it the problem.

Is the gas tube bulb within spec? Is the gas key within spec? You mention the gas tube pin hole not lining up right unless you misalign the gas tube. Are you sure the gas tube or the FSB is not the issue? There seems to be a lot of variables here that need to be hammered out that are far easier to clear up rather than RMRing a barrel over and over if there isn't a problem with it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#26]
There are many details lacking here.

It may be time to have a professional assemble your upper receiver group.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Okay well the dude deleted all his posts for some unknown reason however.

Lots of fucky going on
View Quote

Not only that, but from the quotes scattered throughout the thread that are attributed to the OP, it's clear that this started as a click no bang and somehow became a failure to go into battery that's being blamed on a repeatedly bad barrel.

I suspect Tig is right. Someone who knows what they're doing needs to build this rifle. Whatever is going on is beyond OP's ability to sort out and the thread has been scrubbed to the point that history of the problem and context is gone, making assistance very challenging.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not only that, but from the quotes scattered throughout the thread that are attributed to the OP, it's clear that this started as a click no bang and somehow became a failure to go into battery that's being blamed on a repeatedly bad barrel.

I suspect Tig is right. Someone who knows what they're doing needs to build this rifle. Whatever is going on is beyond OP's ability to sort out and the thread has been scrubbed to the point that history of the problem and context is gone, making assistance very challenging.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay well the dude deleted all his posts for some unknown reason however.

Lots of fucky going on

Yeah, akin to throwing darts blindfolded at this point, too much guessing w/o pertinent info/dimensions/pics.

Likely an easy fix too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#30]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#32]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#34]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Building guns and being drunk are not a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#36]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:38:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I tend to doubt you have that many defective parts in combination unless you're buying airsoft junk or something. I would tend more toward something being assembled incorrectly. I would second having someone more knowledgeable take a look at, help you with or just do the assembly for you.

If you're actually describing the gas tube protruding too far into the upper correctly I'd suspect you have either a wrong gas tube, or a low profile gas block installed backwards or something like that. I really doubt anyone is making barrels with the gas port and other machining that far out of spec, as it takes something like 1/4 inch too short for the gas tube to hit the gas key.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#38]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#39]
i wonder if you somehow ended up with an Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube.  that would be about 3/8" too long for an AR-15 rifle-gas.  15-1/8" vs 15.5".  But the Armalite AR-10 gas tubes are hard-to-come-by, so, highly unlikely, highly improbable.

or, you're inserting the gas-tube roll-pin in front of the gas tube, instead of through the roll-pin hole in the gas tube.

agree with other posters that "deleted", "removed" is hokey A.F., actually rates a WTF.
but, this is arfcomdom.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#40]
or, the gas tube is installed upside-down.  we've seen that happen in arfcomdom also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Its an A1 FSB on a 20 inch brownells retro barrel. The gas tube is CMMG and the BCG is a chromed microbest. I do possess a second quality BCG to test . ill be sure to update when the new barrel comes in.
View Quote

So you ditched the BA barrel for a  Brownells and have the same problem? And you're now waiting for yet another barrel?

This is confusing as fuck.

You should stop swapping parts and figure out exactly what isn't right before you Frankenstein together something that literally blows up in your face.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why don't you just modify the gas tube?
View Quote
This I can't see how filing a little bit off of the gas tube would actually hurt anything inside the receiver.AMIRIT
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd be leaning towards operator headspace & timing issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This I can't see how filing a little bit off of the gas tube would actually hurt anything inside the receiver.AMIRIT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Should not be filing on anything, just need to figure out where the assembly problem is.

Quoted:
i wonder if you somehow ended up with an Armalite AR-10 rifle gas tube.  that would be about 3/8" too long for an AR-15 rifle-gas.  15-1/8" vs 15.5".

or, you're inserting the gas-tube roll-pin in front of the gas tube, instead of through the roll-pin hole in the gas tube.

Those are good possibilities.

Measure the gas tube would be a good place to start. Stop returning barrels and figure out where the problem is.

Is that a new H&R grey receiver set?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd be leaning towards operator headspace & timing issue.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#48]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What happens when you use the other bcg?

View Quote

Ill have to find out when the new barrel comes in
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
deleted
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top