Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2020 2:48:49 AM EST
I still need to pickup a few parts to finish it, but I can see what it's going to mostly look like at this point.  I like the way it comes out, but I don't think I like the Magpul mag.    Won't seat well w/ the bolt forward.  Probably going to a Magpul grip on it and have to tighten down the barrel and attach the forend.   Optics or sights will change too, but that's what I had on hand that wasn't in use.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:56:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2020 4:56:47 AM EST by HDrider]
I like it...imo I think an ERGO grip would look better on there instead of the MagPul.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 5:37:53 AM EST
Magpul k grip.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:29:30 AM EST
Will probably go with a MOE+.   I Like the feel of it on a relatively heavy AR pistol.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:07:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By jhereg:
I still need to pickup a few parts to finish it, but I can see what it's going to mostly look like at this point.  I like the way it comes out, but I don't think I like the Magpul mag.    Won't seat well w/ the bolt forward.  Probably going to a Magpul grip on it and have to tighten down the barrel and attach the forend.   Optics or sights will change too, but that's what I had on hand that wasn't in use.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72296/AR-Vmostlydone_jpg-1662067.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  This may sound stupid, but did you try loading the mags to just 30 before seating on a closed bolt? I download my 32/33 mags to 30 and they seat fine.  Plus it makes my OCD happy.

I use the plain MOE grips on all my ARs. Never really liked the feel of their k grips, but I know a lot of people do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 2:28:46 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Droppoint:

Nice!  This may sound stupid, but did you try loading the mags to just 30 before seating on a closed bolt? I download my 32/33 mags to 30 and they seat fine.  Plus it makes my OCD happy.

I use the plain MOE grips on all my ARs. Never really liked the feel of their k grips, but I know a lot of people do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Droppoint:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72296/AR-Vmostlydone_jpg-1662067.JPG

It was downloaded to zero.  I just put an empty mag in to see how it fits.  My kit didn't come w/ a PSA mag like it's supposed to so I can't test it w/ one of their mags yet.    Should have some I ordered next week and a couple Scorpion mags too to test with.

I like the plain MOE grips, but the + are stickier in my experience and it's not a bad thing w/ a relatively heavy pistol.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:12:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2020 2:13:09 PM EST by HK_DUDE]
I built 2 ARs with new frontier armory upper and lower for the scorpion mag.

My magpul mags wouldn't lock in either. I had to remove a little from the top/outside edges of the feed lips to make the radius larger.

They are still hit and miss.

The BEST mags I have found for my slightly different scorpion mag fed AR are the PSA AKV/scorpion mags....and they are cheap and well made.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:16:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
I built 2 ARs with new frontier armory upper and lower for the scorpion mag.

My magpul mags wouldn't lock in either. I had to remove a little from the top/outside edges of the feed lips to make the radius larger.

They are still hit and miss.

The BEST mags I have found for my slightly different scorpion mag fed AR are the PSA AKV/scorpion mags....and they are cheap and well made.
View Quote

I could get the magpul mag in, but I had had to slap it fairly hard.    I'm still in the process of getting everything finished on this, or at least finished enough to take it out and shoot it.  Had a problem finding the parts to put the forend on.  Still need to tighten down the barrel, tighten the castle nut for the receiver extension, and put the pin/spring in that holds the front pin on the lower in place.    It wasn't cooperating when I put the lower together.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:26:52 PM EST
Got the MOE+ grip and some mags for it I ordered.  Finished assembling it today.  Briefly test fired it.   It works on both Fire and Binary and doesn't fire on safe.  All of those are good.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:48:29 PM EST
I bought a compete AR-V.  It came with 1 PSA mag and I bought a bunch of Magpul mags thinking they would be higher quality.  Well, the PSA locked in place just like you'd want it to.  The Magpul mags wobbled around - so much so that I didn't think they would function reliably.  I returned them to PSA and ordered the slightly less expensive PSA mags, which all fit perfectly.  BTW, PSA customer service did not seem surprised when I called about the Magpul mags.  They suggested they may require "fitting".  LOL.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:34:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/13/2020 9:11:14 PM EST by parkranger]
My parts are in the mail now. I bought a bunch of the magpul mags originally thinking I was going to get a scorpion. Not excited to hear they don't work well😭

Additionally this will be my first pistol caliber build. I was reading another post that talked about a spacer in the buffertube. Will this need one. I bought the complete sb3 lower parts kit from PSA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:26:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By parkranger:
My parts are in the mail now. I bought a bunch of the magpul mags originally thinking I was going to get a scorpion. Not excited to hear they don't work well😭

Additionally this will be my first pistol caliber build. I was reading another post that talked about a spacer in the buffertube. Will this need one. I bought the complete sb3 lower parts kit from PSA.
View Quote

I got that LBK from PSA with the EPT and it came with a standard buffer so if you are doing a blowback 9mm build you will need a spacer or better yet a dedicated 9mm heavy buffer, 6.5 to 7.5 ounce.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:31:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/13/2021 9:33:28 AM EST by m6z]
Have the AR-V build kits been $500 since release?

The AR-V is exactly what I've been looking for in a 9mm AR.  Ah, this is going to turn into a $1,500 project I'm sure.

Is anyone still making an integral 3-lug barrel?  It doesn't look like FM-Products barrels are available currently.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:07:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By m6z:
Have the AR-V build kits been $500 since release?

The AR-V is exactly what I've been looking for in a 9mm AR.  Ah, this is going to turn into a $1,500 project I'm sure.

Is anyone still making an integral 3-lug barrel?  It doesn't look like FM-Products barrels are available currently.
View Quote
I believe they have.  Seems high, but it was almost exactly what I wanted in a 9mm AR.    I like mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:35:00 PM EST
Very nice! Full report please when it's finished
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:05:26 AM EST
This place is always costing me money..  AR-V builders kit, mags, some lower parts and a FM 3-lug barrel are on the way.

What buffer are you running?  I was thinking of going with the Taccom.

PCC Adjustable Recoil System AR15-9mm
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:27:46 AM EST
This place is always costing me money..  AR-V builders kit, mags, some lower parts and a FM 3-lug barrel are on the way.

What buffer are you running?  I was thinking of going with the Taccom.

PCC Adjustable Recoil System AR15-9mm
View Quote
I stole the 9mm buffer out of one of my other ARs.  I'd have to look and see what it was when I get home.  May have been a Spikes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:47:17 AM EST
I stole the 9mm buffer out of one of my other ARs.  I'd have to look and see what it was when I get home.  May have been a Spikes.
View Quote

I have one of these builds going as well. I'm using a dedicated 9mm buffer and spacer as well as a Tubbs flat wire recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:54:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

I have one of these builds going as well. I'm using a dedicated 9mm buffer and spacer as well as a Tubbs flat wire recoil spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

I really like mine.  It's what I've wanted for a 9mm AR for a really long time w/ the binary trigger and the F1 suppressor I have on it.    Haven't ever tried the Tubbs springs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:19:40 AM EST
Picked up my AR-V build kit and the rest of the parts are starting to arrive.  Rolled the dice and ordered an Daniel Defense MFR XL and an 8oz buffer from ar15goa.com..  Hopefully that pans out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:13:24 PM EST
Curious what you guys are using for an upper vise block to hold this during assembly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:06:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By toms84ss:
Curious what you guys are using for an upper vise block to hold this during assembly.
View Quote

Standard clamshell works fine for me. Doesn't fit perfectly but engages enough to hold the upper steady.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:36:45 PM EST
Rolled the dice and ordered an Daniel Defense MFR XL and an 8oz buffer from ar15goa.com..  Hopefully that pans out.
View Quote

That didn't pan out..  

Ordered the Taccom PCC adjustable recoil system today along with a Griffin snatch charging handle.  

Need to aquire a handguard and sights still, but that should be all the parts needed to function test.
Top Top