Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2021 5:09:22 PM EDT
Hey I’d love to ask the gurus if anyone has built a side charger PCC with the radial delayed blowback. I’m interested in CMMG’s Banshee’s
Bolt and Barrel but not sure if it would mate up with a side charging Glock upper (Joe Bobs side charger or new frontier armory). I’d love to build one in 9,10 and 45. I prefer to build it off my own Lowers as I’d put either a binary or a RA-535 trigger. I’d much prefer the side charging upper as well so I wanted to see if anyone has done it. I know it’s a loaded question but I prefer built over bought. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's an option for the side charger modification to try as an alternative to the New Frontier.

https://devildogconcepts.com/side-charging-handle-system/

I have the NFA side charger upper on a Pmm PCC, and the DDC system linked above on another generic AR. Both work very well. I like that the DDC is removable should you decide to do so.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The DDC  a pretty unique design. At this point if possible I’d like to see if I can make a regular side charging pistol caliber upper work but I do have a bunch of Spikes Tactical Gen 2 Billet uppers waiting to be built. I might need to throw one of these on them and see if I like it better.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Gibbz G4 lightweight side charger with a QC10 Colt lower and RDB.  I'm going to switch over to 5" if they ever come back in stock.  Not much to say, there is some tuning with the RDB and Colt mags.  I shoot suppressed, with Amphibian's buffer and spring the thing is crazy soft.  Verify your handguard will not interfere with the side charger.  I have an Aero Atlas and had to mill the tabs off.  When slung on your back, the side charger is miserable compared to a rear charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
For your RDB are you using CMMG’s bolt and barrel or something else? CMMG was saying it wouldn’t fit on Gibbz or NFA but the things they were saying needed to be modded like the ejection port seems to already be done on those uppers. I’m thinking they should definitely work. I didn’t know if there are any other companies doing the RDB that I should look at. As for the side charger, I already have a few bullpups that are left hand charging but they fold so it’s a non issue in a sling. I do however have a SRM 1216 with a big non folding left hand charging handle and that thing always hurts when you forget about it and throw it on your back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I use CMMG's 8" bolt and barrel.  I think that is their canned answer on not working with side chargers.  I do use the G4 upper and not their 9mm upper. I tried using the the QC10 side charger but there is no channel for the cam pin.  You will also need to use the Gibbz enhanced cam pin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some Phase 5 Slant Nose Rails that I thought fit without needed to dremel anything. As for the cam pin, it’s my understanding the Joe Bob’s come with it. Hopefully I can slap it all together with the CMMG RDB barrel and bolt. Sorry for all the redundant questions but I’m brand new to building PCC’s. All of my experience was with AR15’s and a few AR10’s. I guess  PCC’s would be similar to the AR10’s since those have to be messed with way more to build.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a PCC build that uses the RDB and a Gibbz side charger. It works fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess  PCC's would be similar to the AR10's since those have to be messed with way more to build.
View Quote
I don't think that is the case with the CMMG RDB compared to straight blowback PCC's.  
With straight blowback PCC's, you are typically dealing with very heavy buffer's, weighted bolts and even then the recoil is harsher than 5.56 and many trigger manufacturers like Geisselle don't support using their triggers in straight blowback.  In addition, you are also dealing with a longer buffer or spacer to shorten the stroke.  

With the CMMG RDB, the stroke length is identical to 5.56 and the underside of the carrier is identical to a 5.56 carrier.  Recoil is way milder and you should be able to use any trigger that you use for 5.56 for a 9mm CMMG RDB as well.

So I'd say you shouldn't have to mess with anything going with the CMMG RDB unless of course you want to continue tinkering like me to get it to run even softer but that is not necessary.

In your case, you want a side charger which will then require more work but as has been stated, has been done before.  Here is an old thread on that: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/9mm-Guard-with-QC10-side-charging-upper/15-728441/
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my Extar EP9 working with an 8" RDB kit.

Extar could easily get it done. I had to:

mill and wedge the upper to properly index the barrel
modify the magazine release to have the mags sit lower so bolt lugs wouldn't hit the mags
adjust buffer tube depth
swap out "gas keys"
remove ejector

In the end, the recoil difference was not as much as I expected (compared to the stock EP9 recoil). So I sold the RDB kit for a profit and went back to blow back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PCC build that uses the RDB and a Gibbz side charger. It works fine.
View Quote

What lower are you running? I grabbed JoeBobs 9mm Glock style lower (NFA style) and the joe bob side charger. Hopefully I’ll just have to mess with the ejector to get the mag at the right height. There seems to be a big variance between the lowers and uppers to mate the rdb system to so  hopefully I’ll have a better idea when I get the parts in the next few days. I appreciate everyone who responded.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top