Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 12:22:11 AM EDT
Going to be building a 6.8 out of my Geissele receiver set.  First off, what length barrel is best for the most range, and what BCG should I go with?  And should I put an adjustable gas block on it?  It will be suppressed sometimes.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going to be building a 6.8 out of my Geissele receiver set.  First off, what length barrel is best for the most range, and what BCG should I go with?  And should I put an adjustable gas block on it?  It will be suppressed sometimes.

Thanks
View Quote

I’ve had a 16” and currently have an 11.5”. I can’t tell any difference in lethality on hogs. If you are going to suppress it, 11.5-12.5” would be my suggestion. The 16” plus a suppressor was LONG and not so handy, especially at night.

Yes on adjustable gas block if you are going to suppress it.

If you haven’t tried shooting hogs with a suppressor, you must. The hogs can’t pick out the source of the report and flush in every direction, giving more opportunities.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 18" barrel and matched bolt from those of who we do not name. I bought a Toolcraft nickel boron carrier engraved with 6.8 from the 68forums that has been great. I put a Superlative Arms adjustable on it and it's done well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a 12.5” and super bolt with Right to Bear a low mass carrier, SLR adj block. 7”x1.625 Form 1 can. Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
16” you know who’s barrel+bolt, adj gas block, suppressed. Runs great, feed it 130gr spbt at 2.995”. Use PRI mags. You can use a longer barrel but the velocity gains might not outweigh the weight and handling costs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
This build is a 14.7" 3R mid-length + BCG from the forbidden company but I don't think you can go wrong with a 16" mid-length. I always consider the available gas lengths when choosing barrel length and will always lean towards the longer gas lengths for a softer shooting rifle for follow-up shots on hogs. I don't find this particular build unwieldy with the suppressor but the 12.5 mid-length is also a great option for running suppressed. It's a sweet hunting setup and lightweight.

Upper:

-14.7" 3R mid-length
-Superlative Adj gas block
-Deadair Sandman S w/ E-brake
-BCM MCMR and upper
-Forbidden BCG
-PRI gasbuster
-Armaspec stealth buffer

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I went 16" and 12.5" though the 12.5" isnt together yet. You dont need longer then a 16". 110gr Accubonds are 2650fps and factory 120gr SSTs are at 2550fps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Lost everything to the lava, finally getting back to it. My 6.8 so far:
18”SS 5R and BCG from....
Mega/JSE stripped billet upper
Odin Works O2 Light forend, adj GB, Atlas comp., ext CH
80% billet lower
CMMG LPK
Waiting on:
Buffer tube, buffer, spring
Magpul MOE grip, ACS-L
Larue MBT-2S fcg
5D Tactical router jig
KAK dimpling jig
Glass and mount
Anxious to get this put together

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 18, 16, 14.5. and 12 from those that can not be mentioned and I am always grabbing the SBR
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmm.  I had no intention of SBRing this rifle, so I may go with a 16”.  Now to decide what scope to go with.   I was thinking a Vortex Razor 1-6.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Monkeypunch you need a new chrono
No way you are getting 100 feet OVER box claim on Hornady SST and I load 100 grain Accubonds at max H322 and it gets 2,600
Factory Hornady 110 HP is 2570 straight off the box and is right on in my barrel
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Not all barrels are equal. My 85 tsx loads were at 3065fps and the 130gr speers were at 2550fps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OldShelbyGuy:
Monkeypunch you need a new chrono
No way you are getting 100 feet OVER box claim on Hornady SST and I load 100 grain Accubonds at max H322 and it gets 2,600
Factory Hornady 110 HP is 2570 straight off the box and is right on in my barrel
View Quote

3R barrel by the unmentionable. The SST speed was taken a 75 degrees F. At 30 degrees F, I get 2495. My velocities mirror what a lot of others reported across multiple forums. The 110gr Accubonds are over 28.8gr of AA2200. H322 isn't going to make the same velocity as AA2200. Sellier and Bellot factory 110gr PTS averages 2665 fps, for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
Hmmmm.  I had no intention of SBRing this rifle, so I may go with a 16”.  Now to decide what scope to go with.   I was thinking a Vortex Razor 1-6.
View Quote

A LPVO works well for me. I can't afford the Razor line, but was thinking of adding the Swampfox 1-10x Arrowheard MRAD to my 6.8.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you considered 6.5 Grendel? Lol, j/k.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

A LPVO works well for me. I can't afford the Razor line, but was thinking of adding the Swampfox 1-10x Arrowheard MRAD to my 6.8.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, the Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x looks sweet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so I got me a Vortex Razor 1-6, so now I need the barrel.  I think I am going 16” because I am not SBRing this rifle right now.  So what barrel from the site that shall not be named should I go with?  4G 11 Twist Recon, 3R 11 twist scout, 5R 11 twist scout...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
And on that note, are there any other 6.8 barrels that are good?  The other place is always OOS on everything.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
And on that note, are there any other 6.8 barrels that are good?  The other place is always OOS on everything.
View Quote

White Oak Armament, as good as it gets...

I suggest a 16" carbine gassed or 18" mid-gassed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I've heard good about Bison Armory.

However, I was able to snag a 16" 3R barrel from the unnamed ones yesterday which feels like a fluke. Saw the 1 in stock, and my card was out before I thought about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
I've heard good about Bison Armory.

However, I was able to snag a 16" 3R barrel from the unnamed ones yesterday which feels like a fluke. Saw the 1 in stock, and my card was out before I thought about it.
View Quote

I just wish he would have barrels and bolts in stock at the same time...so I could have them head spaced...but I don’t really think that matters on the end
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Wilson Combat makes some very accurate 6.8 barrels.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, looking at Bison barrels.  But what about Green Mountain?  I see good things about their barrels, but not anything specifically about their 6.8 barrels.  Too many choices....
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of good choices... I have two Bison Armory barrels (18"), one of them being their Fulcrum barrel, and one WOA 18" and one from that which can't be mentioned 16".

My Bison barrels shoot the best.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Lots of good choices... I have two Bison Armory barrels (18"), one of them being their Fulcrum barrel, and one WOA 18" and one from that which can't be mentioned 16".

My Bison barrels shoot the best.
View Quote

Good to hear, because I just bought a 16” Bison!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#25]
And on that note, are there any other 6.8 barrels that are good?  The other place is always OOS on everything.
View Quote

I have 2 16" Daniel Defense 6.8 barrels and one 12" Wilson Combat.  All 3 shoot extremely well.  I am partial to the 2 16" barreled guns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#26]

I just wish he would have barrels and bolts in stock at the same time...so I could have them head spaced...but I don’t really think that matters on the end
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I
However, I was able to snag a 16" 3R barrel from the unnamed ones yesterday which feels like a fluke. Saw the 1 in stock, and my card was out before I thought about it.

I just wish he would have barrels and bolts in stock at the same time...so I could have them head spaced...but I don’t really think that matters on the end

Late to the party, but for future reference it is often worth directly contacting the baker we can’t talk about when it comes to bolts.  Sometimes he has stock on hand that he has yet to update the status.  It’s a small operation so the website isn’t always 100% accurate.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I used a 12.5" barrel and matched bolt carrier group. Mid Length Gas tube with SLR adjustable gas block and SLR 11.5" rail. Used Barrett 30rd mags. It's an awesome rifle
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

It took me moths of checking to get an instock superbolt and a 16” 3r barrel at the same time... just wanted to have no head space issues, not that I expect it on the AR platform but having him match them before shipping only made sense to me.  

So far I have only shot S&B 110 fmj s and they are darn close to 1 moa.

I used an adjustable block too.  Fixes a problem if you have it and even if you don’t you can dial the gas back to save the gun from battering.  No brainer to me.   The only reason to pull it back off would be to open up the gas port if I lacked gas.  I didn’t need to.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#30]
For those who don’t know, the maker we don’t talk about has his own sub forum on another forum.  A lot of my questions about availability have been answered on the frequent updates within that forum.

PM me if you want a link, although you can probably figure out there is a dedicated 68 Forum on the net.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
If you’ve have only shot S&B your not getting full potential

1. Hornady 110 BTHP will shoot 1/2 MOA in his barrel
2, Privi 115 HP will do the same
3. Any handload with 100-110 Accubonds will do the same
The Federal FMJ I haven’t shot in awhile but It was super accurate too
The S&B is good if you reload as it is small primer like Hornady and good brass
Max charge of H322 will give stellar results with V-Max Hornady load too and any of the bullets mentioned above
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I went with the unmentionable 16" socom fluted, which came predimpled for gas block. Using full profile carrier, non adjustable gas block, H2 buffer, cheap carbine spring and super bolt, there has never been a failure using S&B and federal thus far, and ejection is in a neat pile to 3 o'clock. D&H mags too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd go ~14.5 and have John at Retro Arms pin and weld a muzzle device on. The 6.8 SPC does much better in a shorter barrel compared to the 6.5 Grendel and is very effective on deer sized animals. I've taken deer with barrels from 12.5, 16 and 18" and the 90gr XM68GD Gold Dots.

Just get a decent barrel and PRI or Barret mags. A company who cant be named here makes great barrels and bolts for the 6m8, as does Daniel Defense with their S2W barrel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#34]
If I were to buy another it would be from Ben at Bison, my previous two from him are stellar and he's a nice family man to boot.  I can't say that about someone else.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Can someone fill me in on the "unmentionable" situation?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mattman43:
Can someone fill me in on the "unmentionable" situation?
View Quote

You got mail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 2bits:
Have you considered 6.5 Grendel? Lol, j/k.
View Quote

not joking...
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You got mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You got mail.

Please fill me in also.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please fill me in also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got mail.

Please fill me in also.

You got mail too!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Please fill me in also.
View Quote

Go to the top of this forum and open up the rules. It’s spelled out in rule #9. We can’t say it but they spell it out for you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I went 16" and 12.5" though the 12.5" isnt together yet. You dont need longer then a 16". 110gr Accubonds are 2650fps and factory 120gr SSTs are at 2550fps.
View Quote

I enjoy my 12.5" 6.8, I think you will to if its from the same barrel maker
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Go to the top of this forum and open up the rules. It’s spelled out in rule #9. We can’t say it but they spell it out for you.
View Quote

And I was put on time out once for posting in a thread that I had a couple of his barrels completely unknowing of that rule or anything about it. A simple warning message would have been sufficient considering I had no clue about it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat makes some very accurate 6.8 barrels.
View Quote

I’ve been incredibly happy with my 12.5 from Wilson
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And I was put on time out once for posting in a thread that I had a couple of his barrels completely unknowing of that rule or anything about it. A simple warning message would have been sufficient considering I had no clue about it.
View Quote

Yea, I’ve seen it happen too. I think some of the mods let a little bit of internet authority go to their head. It would be real easy to check that a guy isn’t shilling over and over and just edit the post and give the poster a quick reminder via pm. If he keeps shilling then take it from there. You get worse treatment in this forum for mentioning that company than you do for breaking the rules in the BOTD forum.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Just finished up my 68  runs good
18” mid-length fluted SS 1-8 twist 5R, enhanced bcg from the unnamed one
80% billet lower
Noveske forged upper
CMMG builders lpkt
Larue MBT-2 trigger
Odin Works adj ss gas block, 02 light 12.5” forend, XT charging handle, Atlas 7 compensator
JSE carbine buffer and receiver extension
Magpul ACS-Light stock, m-lok bipod, m-lok afg
Phase 5 ebr v3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top