Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2023 8:04:49 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, I knew almost nothing about ARs. Then the impending ban in our state came along, so I got a couple of AR rifles. Then I got a couple more. Then I got another one. Today, I got enough stuff to build another ... I think. Here's what I have or will soon have:

Complete upper (.300 blackout, 10.5" barrel, 9" foregrip)
Stripped lower.
Complete lower kit.
Buffer kit.

It's an AR pistol build, so there's no brace or stock; just a BATF-approved cheek-plate.

Am I missing anything? I mean, other than sights and so on? Are there any other parts I need?

I still don't know anything but I'm going to build a pistol anyway. I found the guides and the tools needed and so on in the stickies. I think I'm up for it, if I have everything.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I missing anything?
View Quote

Ammo?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Never used a complete lower kit, it includes a grip?

Also does the upper come with a bcg?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ammo?  
View Quote

Yep. 200-grain Winchester Open-Tip and 147 grain FMJ. Magazines too.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never used a complete lower kit, it includes a grip?

Also does the upper come with a bcg?
View Quote

Good call. This kit does and it's the only kit I know. The upper has a BCG and charge handle.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good call. This kit does and it's the only kit I know. The upper has a BCG and charge handle.

Thanks!

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1713/5354/BCM-ELPK-BLK-2__46590.1571675089.jpg?c=1
View Quote

BCM, good choice!
Buffer kit include a stock?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BCM, good choice!
Buffer kit include a stock?
View Quote

Thanks. I used them based on recommendations I got on here. I would have never found them if I hadn't come here. I got some of their SOPMOD bolt upgrade kits too.

Nope. I won't put a  stock on this one. I'll be using a cheek-plate to keep it a pistol. Good call though. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. I used them based on recommendations I got on here. I would have never found them if I hadn't come here. I got some of their SOPMOD bolt upgrade kits too.

Nope. I won't put a  stock on this one. I'll be using a cheek-plate to keep it a pistol. Good call though. Thanks!
View Quote

Oh yeah.  I read that and then forgot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh yeah.  I read that and then forgot.
View Quote

It happens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Magazines? Does your upper have sights?
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Magazines? Does your upper have sights?
View Quote

Check and check. Vortex Venom Red Dot and Magpul BUIS.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Are parts going to be a no go?

If so,  I’d grab an extra bcg.

Or at minimum a complete bolt w/firing pin and an extra cam pin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, sale of parts will be banned. I have spare BCGs, bolts, cams, retaining pins, and etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Sling, magazine, sights, optic, case, ammo
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sling, magazine, sights, optic, case, ammo
View Quote

Oh yeah, I need another sling. Thanks! Anything special aout using a sling with an AR pistol or should I get another Blue Force Vickers 2-point?

I was waiting to see it's overall dimensions before getting a case but thanks fo the reminder. 10 mags, Vortex Venom red dot and Magpul BUIS. Two boxes of ammo but that will change once its built.

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I need another sling. Thanks! Anything special aout using a sling with an AR pistol or should I get another Blue Force Vickers 2-point?

I was waiting to see it's overall dimensions before getting a case but thanks fo the reminder. 10 mags, Vortex Venom red dot and Magpul BUIS. Two boxes of ammo but that will change once its built.

https://eadn-wc03-8337747.nxedge.io/cdn/media/mf_webp/jpg/media/catalog/product/cache/cc458e893e8ac7b550afa6784dd33ea3/v/i/vickers-push-button-coyote-brown-bk-v2.webp
View Quote

I prefer the Magpul MS1, but nothing wrong with that either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Ready to rock. Thanks for your help, everybody!

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ready to rock. Thanks for your help, everybody!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/Build-1-2791040.jpg
View Quote

Feels like CHRISTMAS!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Feels like CHRISTMAS!!!
View Quote

Nail, hammer ... you ...
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#19]
White Oak Armament

all the small parts you will need!
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#20]
All finished and ready for testing at the range. Thanks for the help, everybody!

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All finished and ready for testing at the range. Thanks for the help, everybody!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/582146/First_Build-2803098.jpg
View Quote

Lookin' good.  Eager to hear how she runs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Long as the buffer tube has the buffer and spring you gtg.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The armorer at my range inspected it and didn't find anything wrong with it. So I put 60 rounds downrange with it and it worked perfectly. Everything went through the paper It's a handful with just the pistol grip and fore-end but it's manageable. It has a fair bit more recoil to it, I think. Comparing hand-held firing of a lighter .300 versus shoulder firing of a heavier 5.56 has a lot of variables in it. It certainly goes boom much louder. I sighted the Vortex Venom red dot dead-on at 10 yards, as my intended use for it is indoor home security. When I cleaned it, I didn't find anything that looked different than it did before firing. I made a bunch of mistakes while putting it together but I evidently found them all and fixed them (with a lot of great help from arfcom-ers). I'm glad I had someone with vast experience look it over before I fired it. It made all the difference in the world when I pulled the trigger for the first time.

I sighted the Vortex Venom red dot dead-on at 10 yards, as my intended use for it is indoor home security. The 6 MOA dot worked well and was easy to bring onto target quickly. I had to get help from the RSO to turn it off though. D'oh. The third group of five had four inside a 2" circle with the 5th barely cutting the line. My best group at 25 yards was a little under 4 inches. Clearly and as I expected, I need a lot of range time and some training to get comfortable enough with it to grab it in the dark instead of my .357 S&W Combat Masterpiece. After 40 years and tens of thousands of rounds, a k-frame Smith is like an extension of my right arm. There's no way I'm pulling this out in extremis with only 60 rounds down-range. Or even 600. Maybe 1,600, though. It's hard to say. I'll know when I know, I think.

The BCG Gunfighter trigger is a big improvement over the Aero triggers in the two 5.56 rifles. It's smoother and has a cleaner break. Still, I wish the LaRue 2-stage triggers had arrived in time. I can't really say anything bad about the AR Stoner complete upper. It worked every time I pulled the trigger. I can't say I endorse it either, though. I don't know enough yet for that. All I can say is, so far, so good.

All in all, it's been a great experience. I learned a lot more about ARs and a lot more quickly by putting this together than I ever would have by attaching complete uppers to complete lowers. I'm ready to build another. Sadly, I won't get the chance unless we get an injunction in our state or we move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I sighted the Vortex Venom red dot dead-on at 10 yards, as my intended use for it is indoor home security.
View Quote

I do understand the reasoning, but I would still zero @ 50 yards.  Murphy has a way of screwing up plans ans you never know if you will need to press it into use outdoors at a greater distance.  With a 36 yard zero you would still be within 2" of line of sight from 10 yards to over 150 yards with super's.  Plenty good for CQB, unless you will be trying to decide between shooting them in the tip of the nose or the bridge of the nose
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do understand the reasoning, but I would still zero @ 50 yards.  Murphy has a way of screwing up plans ans you never know if you will need to press it into use outdoors at a greater distance.  With a 36 yard zero you would still be within 2" of line of sight from 10 yards to over 150 yards with super's.  Plenty good for CQB, unless you will be trying to decide between shooting them in the tip of the nose or the bridge of the nose
View Quote

You make a good case. 25 yards is the max at my club's range but I can zero for 50 at 25 using the same method I used for the two 5.56 rifles. I'll do that at the range later this week. I'm not sure when I'll get to the outdoor range but this will work for now. Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You make a good case. 25 yards is the max at my club's range but I can zero for 50 at 25 using the same method I used for the two 5.56 rifles. I'll do that at the range later this week. I'm not sure when I'll get to the outdoor range but this will work for now. Thanks for the advice!
View Quote

I originally thought 50 yard zero and then remembered you had a 300 BLK and not 5.56, so I edited to a 36 yard zero which is what I prefer in that.  I'm sure you can extrapolate from ballistic charts to compensate for 25 yard range.  I'd guess off the top of my head you'd want to be about a half inch low @ 25, and I would still confirm @ 150 when I got the chance to stretch it out.  You might surprise yourself after you get some trigger time, how well you can shoot without a stock
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I originally thought 50 yard zero and then remembered you had a 300 BLK and not 5.56, so I edited to a 36 yard zero which is what I prefer in that.  I'm sure you can extrapolate from ballistic charts to compensate for 25 yard range.  I'd guess off the top of my head you'd want to be about a half inch low @ 25, and I would still confirm @ 150 when I got the chance to stretch it out.  You might surprise yourself after you get some trigger time, how well you can shoot without a stock
View Quote

Sounds good, I'm on it. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top