Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2019 7:20:04 PM EDT
I'm working on a build (since 2015 ). I finally have all the pieces.

The receiver needs cutting (458 SOCOM) and the comp needs to be perm-attached to the barrel. I'm planning on sending to ADCO for the work. At the end of the day, I want the whole thing coated; my preference is Wilson Armor-Tuff.

So what's the sequence of events to get this done? How many back & forths?
What I mean by the above is I assume I'll need to to the following...
1) Ship parts to ADCO for receiver cut & comp pinning
2) Ship for coating
3) Assemble

Not sure on what's involved with the coating process, state of  disassembly needed, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
having a firearm finished in armor tuff....i can't make any distinctions between it and correctly applied cerakote and would likely be a healthy wait time from wilson combat for the job to get done.

Why not get an upper that is already cut for the .458? they're plenty available

I'm assuming your barrel is 14.5" adco is GTG for that work but everything else just seems like more effort than necessary...have them pin a gas block on while they're at it and make sure you send them the barrel nut with everything

Have everything painted first then assemble when that's all back from paint and you have the barrel back....easy as that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for this response, it was helpful.

Cost delta between buying a new upper already cut versus cutting my existing upper isn't that much so I bought a new upper.
Coating all the components was primarily because I was going to use one of the infamous Brownells purple uppers. Problem solved.

So just need ADCO to pin the FH to the barrel and install the gas block.

Get the barrel coated after.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. Good luck on your build!
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
lol, well this build went sideways.

Backstory: I've been collecting parts for a rifle build over the last 5+ years. Only thing I lacked was a barrel. I couldn't decide on a caliber.
Wilson Combat was having a sale last month, so I "pulled the trigger" on a 458 SOCOM barrel kit.

First issue (upper receiver) is described above. Now I've found out that my rail doesn't work with this.

So I now have a complete package of parts for a 458 SOCOM build that are all Wilson Combat, lol.
Just gonna send everything back to WC and have them coat & assemble.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
what was the issue with the handguard?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The Wilson gas block has an adjustment screw in the upper part. It would not fit through the rail.

Not a wilson GB, but that part on the side is similar.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top