Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 9:10:53 AM EDT
Hi all,

For some reason whenever I click links to old threads it just brings me back to the forum home page.  So I apologize that this topic has been beaten to death.  I have also read the FAQ and it hasn't been overly informative.

I am building an aero M5 lower.  I have came very close to getting the aero buffer tube just for simplicity but because I am building the gun from scratch I'd like to take advantage of customizing anything that is going to help build a reliable rifle and can help me lower recoil (I will be using an adjustable gas block)

First and foremost is there any advantage to the rifle length buffer kits over the carbine size?

Is there a specific weight I should stick to?

Does the geissele buffer kit work on the m5 lower?  It seems like everything they make is very 5.56 specific.

Is it worth buying a separate tube, spring, and buffer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a VLTOR A5 on mine, but recoil with .308 is not an issue with any platform I have used.  (not a pistol type in the link)

Shoot some warm .45-70 and then shoot three or more rounds of trap a few times a week and you may get there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If an adjustable gas block is used, the buffer weight is much less of a concern.  Heavier buffer weights are much more relevant when the gas can't be adjusted.  Choose what stock style you like, then pick a buffer that's compatible.

For recoil, the rifle's total weight will be the primary factor.  A light rifle will recoil more; a heavy rifle will recoil less.  So maybe choose a 20" barrel of a larger diameter to increase the mass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the responses.   The godaddy thing makes sense because I see so many threads that would be great to read through but none of the links work.

I think I'd prefer the carbine style so I can have the collapsable stock.  If it was a huge difference I would compromise on the stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought and use the Armalite kit for $65 bux , u get a  A5 length buffer tube, H3 Buffer and their spring

Good deal and the regular ar15 tube/shorty buffer just seemed more  violent All around.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top