AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2020 8:44:09 AM EDT
Can't decide....

Streamlight 88066 or Olight PL Pro?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't count out a Surefire G2X Tactical in a ring mount. 600 lumens for $75 or less and they hold up. Make sure you get a single output version.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been pretty happy with the Streamlight, though I haven't used it hard.  I'm surprised how much the cost has increased on it though.  I picked mine up for $106 with the tape switch from Primary Arms a year ago or so.  

https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-protac-rail-lount-hl-x-laser-1000-lumen-weapon-light-with-tape-switch
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Streamlight Protac on one, just got an Odin on another. Gotta say, the Odin is pretty slick. The mlok mount brings it nice a close to the rail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Streamlight Protac on one, just got an Odin on another. Gotta say, the Odin is pretty slick. The mlok mount brings it nice a close to the rail.
View Quote

Yeah my upper is sporting a P&S M4 rail, so no need for Mlok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two Olight PLs. They are very nice for the money. If you like the button layout they are a good choice.

I also have one of the Protacs mentioned above but without the laser. Also a good light. Not as bright but decent for the money and came with everything needed
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
How’s the Olight pressure pad?  If I go the Olight route I’d probably get one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
When it comes to budget options I always gotta vote for Streamlight. Very good performance, and not even just for the money. Candela really is more useful than lumens, and even the older Protac Rail Mount 2 has exceedingly more throw than an M600DF. Also, while they may not be battle tested like Surefire, they are used by many rescue personnel and first responders with great satisfaction.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does the Odin have dual springs for handling recoil?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh nether? Modlite...
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't count out a Surefire G2X Tactical in a ring mount. 600 lumens for $75 or less and they hold up. Make sure you get a single output version.
View Quote

This is your best option ^^^^^ for the money as a weapon light. I would take this any day above anything mentioned in this thread. SureFire is the preferred weapon light of the military, police and fire dept, so it'd be more than sufficient for HD.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uh nether? Modlite...
View Quote

Not sure I’d categorize Modlite as a budget option.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Definitely not budget
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I think Arisaka is the best for budget concerns
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uh nether? Modlite...
View Quote

Yeah, to go with my Bentley.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is your best option ^^^^^ for the money as a weapon light. I would take this any day above anything mentioned in this thread. SureFire is the preferred weapon light of the military, police and fire dept, so it'd be more than sufficient for HD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$25 for a mount for the SF G2 flashlight is def budget but proven and versatile
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I have on one of my rifles now with a 6PX. It works well and was under $100.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When it comes to budget options I always gotta vote for Streamlight. Very good performance, and not even just for the money. Candela really is more useful than lumens, and even the older Protac Rail Mount 2 has exceedingly more throw than an M600DF. Also, while they may not be battle tested like Surefire, they are used by many rescue personnel and first responders with great satisfaction.
View Quote

If you're going to want a tape switch, it's hard to beat one of the Streamlight Protac bundles.  Tailcap switch, ribbon switch, and mount all together for a reasonable price.  $120 at PA:
https://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-protac-rail-mount-hl-x-1000-lumen-weapon-light-tapeswitch

I use the old Surefire G2 (pre G2X) in a VLTOR mount on one of my shotguns, but for ARs, I like the flexibility of a ribbon switch for placing the light away from my grip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I also rock a pair of LED G2s in ring mounts.

Rogtac has the Noveske keymod Mount for like $20.

https://www.rogtac.com/noveske-keymod-nsr-ring-light-mount-1-035/
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It isn’t but the only one I’ll recommend.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It isn’t but the only one I’ll recommend.
View Quote

And that's because...?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And that's because...?
View Quote

If you don't spend a couple hundred bucks on a light for HD range, you will die for sure. I prepaid my funeral expenses because I use a streamlight.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you don't spend a couple hundred bucks on a light for HD range, you will die for sure. I prepaid my funeral expenses because I use a streamlight.
View Quote

lol

For indoor use please just have a light, some kind of light, any kind of light, so you aren't shooting at movement in the dark and accidentally killing your dog/wife/kid/neighbor you thought was a burglar.

My all-around gun has a Modlite and my indoor/HD gun just has a Streamlight.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Olight Odin combo with switch and mount is on sale for $119.

For those that aren't Tier 1 operators, this looks like a decent deal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Inforce wmlx on sale for 99 at PA.

G2x tactical in vtac

TLR7
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Inforce wmlx on sale for 99 at PA.

G2x tactical in vtac

TLR7
View Quote

Not seeing it
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went this route until gun funds become more plentiful down the road for a few Surefire Scouts.

The SF G2X Tactical version has good reviews. And even though it’s not rated as a weapon light from SF, it’s held up well according to some reliable sources.

Surefire G2X Tactical 600 Lumen Flashlight: Best Budget AR-15 Light?

Edit for correction of you tube link
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the TRL1-hl and I've been really considering the TRL9 but I want to check one out in person first.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Good, and so what's the best way to mount this to a MOE m-lok handguard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went this route until gun funds become more plentiful down the road for a few Surefire Scouts.

The SF G2X Tactical version has good reviews. And even though it's not rated as a weapon light from SF, it's held up well according to some reliable sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYok7wiHK8

Edit for correction of you tube link
Good, and so what's the best way to mount this to a MOE m-lok handguard?

Magpul light mount options.

Magpul 1913 Picatinny rail sections.

VTAC light mount- Viking tactical website

LaRue options

There's more options out there, but here's a start. LaRue being the most pricy but I put that in there if someone wanted something other than a plastic mount. Also LaRue offers a SF G2X light & mount combo for around $180-ish.  

The VTAC light mount has good reviews. Youtube has a few guys reviewing it, and seems to do it's job well.

Also some transparency; I have experience with early SF G2's but not the G2X's. Or the use of the G2's on a firearm.

I just ordered a G2x Tactical, G2x Pro, and a VTAC light mount. All 3 for about $160 off of amazon.

*Edit: I accidentally put in a Airsoft website for the Viking tactical light mount. I corrected it
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#31]
DD light mount

For any Keymod users. LaRue also is Keymod friendly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Streamlight for sure
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered two of the Streamlight 88058 with the tape switch. It run on a single CR123A or a AA alkaline battery.   It puts out 350 lumens and I mount on the right side of the barrel.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88058-Professional-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B01AXR8JGG/ref=sr_1_5?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Tactical+Flashlights&qid=1608503603&refinements=p_89%3ASTREAMLIGHT&rnid=2528832011&s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-5&ts_id=3222130011
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Streamlight HLX all the way
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Crimson Trace CWL-102 (500L) or CWL- 202 (900L)
They come with all mounting hardware for 1913/KM/MLok and pressure switch.
https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/tactical-lights/cwl-102-tactical-light-for-rail-equipped-long-guns/01-8560.html#start=1
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#37]
For my budget, I went with Impact Weapon Components light and mount combo.  I used the G2X Tactical directly to my MOE handguard.

IWC light and mount bundles
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
thanks, but M-lok direct would be preferred.  It seems odd that Magpul does not offer a direct 1" ring mount to M-lok
View Quote

If you're using the magpul handguards and want to mount a g2x via a 1" ring get the impact weapons mount n slot one. It puts it perfectly in place and is a light little piece of kit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
thanks, but M-lok direct would be preferred.  It seems odd that Magpul does not offer a direct 1" ring mount to M-lok
View Quote

If you're using the magpul handguards and want to mount a g2x via a 1" ring get the impact weapons mount n slot one. It puts it perfectly in place and is a light little piece of kit.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Went with the streamlight 88066.  Had a $60  rebate/debit card and it was on sale on Amazon for $96.  Sooooo, $36 isn’t too bad...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I’ve been rocking an old 320 lumen G2X in a Vltor mount for something like 6 years now on my shorty. I can’t bring myself to change it, it’s been so solid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#42]
For weapons/EDC light I mainly use SureFire, a few StreamLights and Olight's for key chain lights if that gives you an idea of what I'd trust my life to when it comes to HD or duty use. IMHO StreamLight has been proven and doesn't depend on putting their lights on "sales" to move well them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Since there’s been a lot of talk about the G2X in this thread has anyone used both the old 320 lumen and the new 500 or 600 version? Is it worth the upgrade?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Got the Streamlight mounted up this afternoon.  I like it a lot.  That being said the little mounting clips for the pressure pad suck.  I'll be looking at a cloud defensive ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd strongly consider an olight odin or odin mini.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's what I have on one of my rifles now with a 6PX. It works well and was under $100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VTAC mount/Surefire poly combo was recommended by the late Pat Rogers. I have a few of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:45:41 AM EDT
[#47]
My favorite combo is the streamlight dual fuel scout light on a magpul scout mount. Love this combo. It does everything I want it to do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Just got the Cloud Defensive LCS today.  What an amazing little piece of work.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Despite being a hardcore Surefire guy with Scouts and X300Us on everything, I really like the HL-X I have on my patrol AR.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just got the Cloud Defensive LCS today.  What an amazing little piece of work.
View Quote

For the money you'll spend on fixing the things wrong with Chinese light, why not go for a quality one from the beginning?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top