Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2018 7:33:19 PM EDT
UPDATE:
PSA Upper, Leuplold, and mount just came in the mail. Have a ALG ACT trigger and a Magpul Bipod coming in the mail. Will have a chance to shoot it this weekend and will report back on how it shoots. I am running a carbine buffer kit. I've research and found that I should not run into any issues using a rifle gas system. But would you guys recommend purchasing a h2 or h3 buffer to avoid any problems?

Hi All,

I want to build my first SPR AR and was looking at this upper from PSA:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-carp158-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-5165449759.html

There are no reviews and was curious if anyone has any personal experience with this upper?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site.

Looks like a lot of upper for the money.

PSA makes a decent good quality upper for the money.

No direct experience with that upper.

You would have to spend a fair amount more to get something better.

Just took a second look, might buy one myself.

Prices have fallen, a few years back I thought I hit the lotto paying $399 for an upper not as nice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the site.

Prices have fallen, a few years back I thought I hit the lotto paying $399 for an upper not as nice.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I know true SPR builds are extremely expensive which is out of my budget.

I was looking between PSA and BCA uppers, but after reading a few bad reviews on BCA I think I'll go with PSA.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking between PSA and BCA uppers, but after reading a few bad reviews on BCA I think I'll go with PSA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply.

IMHO PSA>BCA
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked one up and am having a time trying to get it to run. Did you pick one up?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I picked one up and am having a time trying to get it to run. Did you pick one up?
View Quote
I bought a similar upper without the nickel boron BCG. Here is the one I bought:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516447013.html

Have not received it yet, but can report back once I do. What type of problems are you encountering with your upper?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE:
PSA Upper, Leuplold, and mount just came in the mail. Have a ALG ACT trigger and a Magpul Bipod coming in the mail. Will have a chance to shoot it this weekend and will report back on how it shoots. I am running a carbine buffer kit. I've research and found that I should not run into any issues using a rifle gas system. But would you guys recommend purchasing a h2 or h3 buffer to avoid any problems?
http://i63.tinypic.com/2dlq1rk.jpg
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope - stick with the buffer you have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nope - stick with the buffer you have.
View Quote
Carbine buffer performed well with no problems.

Also my upper shot 150 rounds of Ultramax 55gr today without any hiccups. Here was my last grouping at 100 yards. Not great but not to bad for cheap 55gr 223

Plan on buying better ammo to see how much more accurate I can get this upper.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Plan on buying better ammo to see how much more accurate I can get this upper.
View Quote
Factory ammo isn't likely to show what any gun is capable of, regardless of cost.  To get the most out of your rifle you will need to handload.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Factory ammo isn't likely to show what any gun is capable of, regardless of cost.  To get the most out of your rifle you will need to handload.
View Quote
Unfortunately, do have the capability of reloading at the moment. Possibly in the future. From what I read, federal gold ammo and blackhills 77gr should give me better results and will try to get a hold of some next range trip
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I've standardized on H2 for all my uses.  My 18" rifle gas/carbine stock with H2 ran fine with a .223 spec 55gr PSP and 5.56mm NATO M855 and Mk262.

CD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top