Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2020 12:55:57 PM EDT
I have been using pmags exclusively, but I decided to order some Brownells brand aluminum magazines to stock up on being they were on sale cheaper than pmags, and seem to have good reviews.
I just recieved a shipment of 10 magazines, is it normal for them to come all scratched up?
They are in individual clam shell packs, but they look used.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, dry film lube will look like that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
They are $16 each. That's cheaper than PMAGs?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, dry film lube will look like that.
View Quote

Thanks, how long does the dry lube last.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered last week, they had them on sale for $114.99 for 10, $11.49 each.
Not much different than pmags. I already have a stock of new pmags stored up, so I figured I'd add some metal mags as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

12.74 each with my discount
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Wipe them with a rag and CLP, fixed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

12.74 each with my discount
View Quote
Damn, that is high.  Who makes them for Brownells this week?  Are they something special?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wipe them with a rag and CLP, fixed.
View Quote

Yeah, the few I kept out for range mags, I wiped down with ballistol. The others I just left in the packages and stored them away with the rest of my stockpiled mags. Not worried about it, they will get scuffed up after a few range trips.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn, that is high.  Who makes them for Brownells this week?  Are they something special?
View Quote

Whats the going rate for metal mags? A few places I looked at had them for 9.99 but they were sold out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As I understand it, Brownells either purchased Co-Line Manufacturing or exclusively contracted with them to manufacture their STANAG magazines. It occurred several years ago.

They’re located in Sully, IA.

Prior to this they were the crap sold by Larry Panka (C Products)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I understand it, Brownells either purchased Co-Line Manufacturing or exclusively contracted with them to manufacture their STANAG magazines. It occurred several years ago.

They’re located in Sully, IA.

Prior to this they were the crap sold by Larry Panka (C Products)

I thought they were D&H?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Whats the going rate for metal mags? A few places I looked at had them for 9.99 but they were sold out.
View Quote

I've bought 10 D&H mags for $80 not too long ago.  8-10/ea is a fair price
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They were never D&H
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they were D&H?

They were never D&H

Understood, man.  Thanks for the course correction.  It was just something I read here, years ago.

I have a pile of them, and never had an issue.  The paint is worn off, and they just keep working.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Who currently produces USGI magazines for brownells now that they are no longer contracting through the other company?  I've heard rumors that they are Okay industries.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

As I understand it, Brownells either purchased Co-Line Manufacturing or exclusively contracted with them to manufacture their STANAG magazines. It occurred several years ago.

They’re located in Sully, IA.

Prior to this they were the crap sold by Larry Panka (C Products)
View Quote

I thought c products was good to go? Pretty sure I was issued some of them at one point and didn't have issues.

Did I waste $40 buying two 20rd 350legend mags from them? They were the only normal(ish) capacity mags in that cal I could find.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

I thought c products was good to go? Pretty sure I was issued some of them at one point and didn't have issues.

Did I waste $40 buying two 20rd 350legend mags from them? They were the only normal(ish) capacity mags in that cal I could find.
View Quote

I wouldn't think so - the Duramag/C-Products are the go-to for 762x39.  I've only put 200 rounds or so through mine but no issues at all (1 10 rounder, 3 30 rounders).

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:

I wouldn't think so - the Duramag/C-Products are the go-to for 762x39.  I've only put 200 rounds or so through mine but no issues at all (1 10 rounder, 3 30 rounders).

View Quote

That's good. IME a bad mag will show it's issues by the third fill.

They're going to be used in a hunting riflepistol, but I'll probably blast a bit with them since legend ball ammo is actually affordable. It should be fun, 12" barrel and bushwhacker 46 on the end.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]

C Products NEVER had a U.S. Military contract contrary to what Larry Panka Sr. Insinuated. And there’s a damn good reason they’re permanently banned from here!
View Quote

Well fuck me. I hope those legend mags work.

Links or story to why c products is shit?

Who makes good >10rds legend mags?

I've had good luck with all usgi and magpul, but prefer usgi (upgrade to anti-cant). I have EPMs, brownells marked tan followers, and brownells greens converted to yellow magpul followers. All have given me zero problems, nor any of my shooters (the tan and EPM) when I was coaching.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:56:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the newer C Product mags are okay, at least the ones I purchased mostly from late 2014-16 or so have all worked fine for me. Own at least 30 of their aluminum 30 rounders, just got them from AIM or wherever. At the time seemed to have positive reviews and I just didn't know about the controversy, now I know the controversy.

But just my 2 cents on the actual use of regular mags. Yes I have used all of them, no failures. They also seem to load into my rifles the easiest on a closed bolt (with full 30).

I have since stocked up on Lancers, they are working well thus far. But I'm starting to pick up a few Okay mags now, price being about the same for Okay Surefeeds as C pros anyway. I looked into their E2's, but I don't think it would really benefit me, not really going to ever use M855A1 AFAIK...
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Just search the Archives for C Products or Larry Panka, it was an epic shit show watching it unfold.

LINK 1

LINK 2

And many other threads, also one member was NOTORIOUS for praising CProducts 
View Quote

Fun times, and way more drama than a boring technical forum.  Too bad the then moderator covered for them and a lot of people were duped with buying crappy magazines or never got the magazines they paid for, or warrantee issues that never got resolved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want old school straight 20 round GI style tilt follower mags, it’s OKAY/Surefeed or Brownells.
Most of mine are Brownells, got em on sale for $10/ea but that was a while ago.
Every other 20 rounder is a curved 20 with an anti tilt follower.

Haven’t seen any difference in reliability but the tilt followers run up to 12 rounds of 5.45x39 and other variant calibers pretty well.
Non-tilt curved bodied 20s run heavy 220gr. 300bo better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top