Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2020 7:08:12 PM EDT
They both have the magpul follower, they're both aluminum. Okay Industries has the gold standard of track records imo. How well do Brownells stack up to them? I'm asking because Brownells seems to rape you less on shipping than pretty much every vendor I can find with Okay Industries magazines in stock...

Also, any idea why Brownells doesn't stock the Okay Industries magazines?
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno about Brownells but brother Okay Surefeeds are good to go hands down.  I use the 30 round dry film lube.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick your poison.  Okay (not E2), D&H, Brownells.  With magoul followers, all good to go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Both solid. Never had an issue with either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I would rather have Surefeeds, no specific reason. The 20 round mags are a little different fron Okays if I remember right. I don't have any 30 round Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
To me the Okays seem to be a little higher quality.  But if they both work they both work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
LGS had Okay Industries mags for $9.99, they have the old tan follower but at that price i bought an arm full.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LGS had Okay Industries mags for $9.99, they have the old tan follower but at that price i bought an arm full.
View Quote
I would have too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would have too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have too.
They also had a G17 33rnd mag...

Which I promptly loaded, and now my thumb hurts, I think I bruised it...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They also had a G17 33rnd mag...

Which I promptly loaded, and now my thumb hurts, I think I bruised it...
View Quote
Yeah, thumb busters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Watching the EE, I’ve purchased MANY Okay Industries magazines for less than $8.00. Many times they’re listed as “Used” and when I get them the ONLY wear is from where Okay uses their insertion gauge.
View Quote
Those days are past.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, thumb busters.
View Quote
Yeah, loading a G18 mag is a sure way to elicit "damn, where'd I put that mag loader that came with the gun...?"
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those days are past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the EE, I’ve purchased MANY Okay Industries magazines for less than $8.00. Many times they’re listed as “Used” and when I get them the ONLY wear is from where Okay uses their insertion gauge.
Those days are past.
They are.  After the EPM came out, and more and more parts of the military adopt Pmags, good g.i. mags are a thing of the past.

I like Pmags and think they're a damn good mag, but have a fair stash of tan follower mags and commercial aluminum mags too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, loading a G18 mag is a sure way to elicit "damn, where'd I put that mag loader that came with the gun...?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, thumb busters.
No kidding, I loaded the mag around 5pm, its now 5am, so 12hrs later, my thumb still hurts, what the hell!?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I rolled the dice against my better judgment and ordered 20 Surefeed mags for $9.99 each from Botach. To my complete surprise I got a tracking number early next day and is already due to arrive by Monday.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I rolled the dice against my better judgment and ordered 20 Surefeed mags for $9.99 each from Botach. To my complete surprise I got a tracking number early next day and is already due to arrive by Monday.
View Quote
I just received from Botach yesterday, 12 Okay dry film 30s for the same $9.99 a piece price, they shipped to me in about three days and the packing job was good.

I also just received from Weapon Outfitters yesterday, 12 Okay dry film 20s for $11.99 a piece, they also shipped to me in about three days and the packing job was was good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Have both and both work 100% but the SureFeeds are my favorites, no contest.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why not E2? I don’t know much about surefeeds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pick your poison.  Okay (not E2), D&H, Brownells.  With magoul followers, all good to go.
E2 DISCUSSION LINK

Take away what you will.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
E2 DISCUSSION LINK

Take away what you will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
E2 DISCUSSION LINK

Take away what you will.
I actually want to by 12 of the newer E2s to compare them to my older ones I got last year to see if there are any differences visually.

I do think the issues with them have been blown out of proportion, but really why take the risk since they don't seem to do anything better than the standard Okay mags.

That's why I just bought 12 more of their standard 30s and 12 more of their 20s. And as always, I get them in the dry moly finish because I'm just too cool for the newer Teflon black and tan finishes.

I actually prefer the grey Teflon finish that D&H has always used compared to dry moly, though I prefer Oaky's mags over D&H's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I actually want to by 12 of the newer E2s to compare them to my older ones I got last year to see if there are any differences visually.

I do think the issues with them have been blown out of proportion, but really why take the risk since they don't seem to do anything better than the standard Okay mags.

That's why I just bought 12 more of their standard 30s and 12 more of their 20s. And as always, I get them in the dry moly finish because I'm just too cool for the newer Teflon black and tan finishes.

I actually prefer the grey Teflon finish that D&H has always used compared to dry moly, though I prefer Oaky's mags over D&H's.
View Quote
I picked up 2 to try.

Too early to even comment on them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I picked up 2 to try.

Too early to even comment on them.
View Quote
The one I have used has worked fine the few times that I've used it, and the blue follower sure is pretty... But that's not worth much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]
They both have performed equally well for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Definition of a “thumb buster”

9mm Sten Gun magazine.

I DEFY anyone to load one to capacity (32 rounds) without using a loading tool.
View Quote
I load Glock 17 and 19 mags easily and never use a loader even on 8 hour range days. I help the ladies top off their mags too when I finish with mine. The 33 round G18 mags aren't that bad for me. I load UZI and Colt 9mm 32 round mags and only need to bump the last few on the bench to get them to full capacity.

But you are correct about the STEN mags.  I have NEVER been able to load one of those to even close to capacity without a loading tool.

Matter of fact it's the only mag loading tool that I ever use!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I load Glock 17 and 19 mags easily and never use a loader even on 8 hour range days. I help the ladies top off their mags too when I finish with mine. The 33 round G18 mags aren't that bad for me. I load UZI and Colt 9mm 32 round mags and only need to bump the last few on the bench to get them to full capacity.

But you are correct about the STEN mags.  I have NEVER been able to load one of those to even close to capacity without a loading tool.

Matter of fact it's the only mag loading tool that I ever use!
View Quote
Mine feel like ladies thumbs after a few G17 mags.

No lie/no shame.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't used my E2s extensively but the few I have work well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve only put a whopping 30 rounds through 1 E2 mag but it worked fine. I know super scientific right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Is okay industries currently making the new production USGI magazines for Brownells?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The issued IR/white light I was issued and got to keep from 2010 aside, surefire can kiss my butt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I can get to about 20 before it becomes impossible for my STEN mags.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is okay industries currently making the new production USGI magazines for Brownells?
View Quote

No.   They never did.  C-Products did before Brownells got a contract.  

As far as I know, Brownells is still making their own mags but are no longer producing for the military.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Well this only applies to 20s which is all I own in Brownells & Surefeeds but the only differences I see are:

The bottom plate retention tab on the Surefeeds. Brownells have a std. flat plate. Never had an issue with a bottom plate coming loose so not sure if that’s a plus, definitely easier to disassemble a Brownells with no tools. I don’t think the retention tab would prevent using something like a ranger plate, and if it broke the plate would still be retained by friction like Brownells.

Feed lips on the Brownells extend all the way to the rear corners like 30s. Surefeeds do not, like old school GI 20s.

The Brownells are much older than Surefeeds so can’t comment on durability but they all work fine with 5.56, .300bo and 5.45x39.

When I bought my Brownells they were available in either stainless steel or chrome silicon springs.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well this only applies to 20s which is all I own in Brownells & Surefeeds but the only differences I see are:

The bottom plate retention tab on the Surefeeds. Brownells have a std. flat plate. Never had an issue with a bottom plate coming loose so not sure if that’s a plus, definitely easier to disassemble a Brownells with no tools. I don’t think the retention tab would prevent using something like a ranger plate, and if it broke the plate would still be retained by friction like Brownells.

Feed lips on the Brownells extend all the way to the rear corners like 30s. Surefeeds do not, like old school GI 20s.

The Brownells are much older than Surefeeds so can’t comment on durability but they all work fine with 5.56, .300bo and 5.45x39.

When I bought my Brownells they were available in either stainless steel or chrome silicon springs.

View Quote

Aren't the SS springs the military standard?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve had some with the chrome silicon springs. They must have a preservation rusting quality to them like some light poles do. The stainless springs are prettier. ??
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#37]
The E2 mags have herpes

The Standard Surefeed mags are by far my favorite aluminum mags. I bought a bunch from Botach last year and after they arrived a few months later, I’ve been using them exclusively and giving the PMags a break. No issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure, but it’s been discussed that chrome silicon may have a longer service life over stainless steel.
I’ve used Brownells 20s with both type springs with corrosive ammo and stainless is much more rust resistant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spec is SS type 63 (17-7 PH) cold drawn wire.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Both solid. Never had an issue with either.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top