Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2018 2:50:06 PM EDT
I got a friend who wants to get into the retro thing.
He has looked at couple of my Brownells lowers in gray.

He has a question and I thought I would ask the forum/

Do any of you have the upper and lower M16E1 or A1 lower
along with their A1 upper in gray?  What does the color match
look like on these? I know the current finish of gray is not what
retro heads want. I've been on here for a while and I know most want the xm gray.

I have read that some uppers and lowers do not match very well.
My friend wants to know about the factory finish.

Myself, I prefer the xm gray so I am going to have mine refinished in the correct color to the mid 60s.

So if any one has some opinions, lets hear them.

Don
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't take this the wrong way and I mean it in sort of a fun way.   Although I kind of agree with the premise.....

Insert Sam Elliot's voice and say this to him and yourself, "Matching is for pussies".

Attachment Attached File

We did have a thread not too long ago, where someone posted 4 different retro type uppers of various makes, although I think most of them were NDS, and it showed some variances.

Personally, I think in real life, matching doesn't always happen.  It's more of a rifle builder thing........  I think they CAN match in real life, it's just that sometimes they don't.  And I think caring if they do or don't is just a thing about how it looks.  Not how "correct" it is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't take this the wrong way and I mean it in sort of a fun way.   Although I kind of agree with the premise.....

Insert Sam Elliot's voice and say this to him and yourself, "Matching is for pussies".

https://i.imgur.com/PfLLv9G.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4928-512763.JPG

We did have a thread not too long ago, where someone posted 4 different retro type uppers of various makes, although I think most of them were NDS, and it showed some variances.

Personally, I think in real life, matching doesn't always happen.  It's more of a rifle builder thing........  I think they CAN match in real life, it's just that sometimes they don't.  And I think caring if they do or don't is just a thing about how it looks.  Not how "correct" it is.
View Quote
I just took a look at a few pictures from my days in the Army in the late 80's to early 90's, and while they aren't the greatest quality pictures, the difference between the uppers and the lowers is clearly visible. Of course, I was in a Signal unit and we didn't rate the new A2's that had just recently come out. We had old A1's that were likely Vietnam rifles. I have to wonder if there were any XM16E1 lowers being used, I wish I'd been more observant back then.

I do know that the D stocks were still in use, my last rifle had a D type stock. I didn't even realize that until I looked back at some of my pictures a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This may help.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/50-shades-of-gray-retro-edition/123-725558/?page=1&anc=7662511
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just took a look at a few pictures from my days in the Army in the late 80's to early 90's, and while they aren't the greatest quality pictures, the difference between the uppers and the lowers is clearly visible. Of course, I was in a Signal unit and we didn't rate the new A2's that had just recently come out. We had old A1's that were likely Vietnam rifles. I have to wonder if there were any XM16E1 lowers being used, I wish I'd been more observant back then.

I do know that the D stocks were still in use, my last rifle had a D type stock. I didn't even realize that until I looked back at some of my pictures a year or so ago.
View Quote
My experience as well. The only matched ones I can remember were depo rebuilds that were flat black anodized at Anniston.

Matching is clearly a civilian OCD trait.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a Brownells upper in gray a few weeks ago.  It's darker than the uppers from Colt A1 parts kits.  In fact, even sitting next to my modern black parts, I can't see enough of a difference to matter.  For all I know, they sent me a black upper with the wrong label.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I picked up a Brownells upper in gray a few weeks ago.  It's darker than the uppers from Colt A1 parts kits.  In fact, even sitting next to my modern black parts, I can't see enough of a difference to matter.  For all I know, they sent me a black upper with the wrong label.
View Quote
I don't think it was a mistake.  They sent me one too that was much more black than gray, and nowhere near a traditional gray receiver.  Not as deeply black as some, but certainly not gray.  I think they should stop calling them gray.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine match pretty wellAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my experience as well.

Looks the same black as my A2 clone to its left and contrasts with the Nodak lowers and Colt 604 upper to its right.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine match pretty well
View Quote
That color is nothing like the one sent to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That color is nothing like the one sent to me.
View Quote
It may not be but keep in mind pictures on a screen can be deceiving.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a 602 build I finished recently with Brownells upper & lower.  The lower is definitely closer to XM gray than the upper.  I have a Brownells M16A1 gray lower too, and it matches very well with the upper on the pictured rifle.  The lower parts are from AR15Sport.com, charging handle is NoDak Spud.  Both of those match in color and are what I consider XM gray.  The Brownells recievers are great quality and built very well into a nice rifle despite the slightly different anodizing.

Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's a 602 build I finished recently with Brownells upper & lower.  The lower is definitely closer to XM gray than the upper.  I have a Brownells M16A1 gray lower too, and it matches very well with the upper on the pictured rifle.  The lower parts are from AR15Sport.com, charging handle is NoDak Spud.  Both of those match in color and are what I consider XM gray.  The Brownells recievers are great quality and built very well into a nice rifle despite the slightly different anodizing.

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/eyoude/IMG_6861_zpspxl6dzih.jpg
View Quote
Looks good to me. I don't think any of the M16A1's that I was issued in the Army matched uppers and lowers. Matching is nice and I understand wanting to, but if the goal is to have something that looks like what you'd be issued in the Army when the A1's were being issued, matching isn't what you'd get.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my addition to this thread and the Retro Hive.
Sorry for the low resolution, but I think the afternoon sun represents the color variations fairly well.

From the back is a Colt CH forge upper parts kit on a gray Brownell's lower.
A gray slick side Brownell's upper, a black PSA flat top and a OKAY.

https://i.imgur.com/fs3Z8SO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Fz5hiw.jpg

The charging handles are both Colt's.
The Brownell's slick side upper has a Rifle Supply dust cover treated with navel jelly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is my addition to this thread and the Retro Hive.
Sorry for the low resolution, but I think the afternoon sun represents the color variations fairly well.

From the back is a Colt CH forge upper parts kit on a gray Brownell's lower.
A gray slick side Brownell's upper, a black PSA flat top and a OKAY.

https://i.imgur.com/fs3Z8SO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Fz5hiw.jpg

The charging handles are both Colt's.
The Brownell's slick side upper has a Rifle Supply dust cover treated with navel jelly.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top