Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2020 1:19:16 PM EDT
I wasn’t aware that purple was a color choice for the BRN line of retro rifles??? As well as the anodizing stains, doesn’t quite look like their pictured rifles.

Also the Rear aperture is loose on the “L” long range setting.

What say the retro hive, call customer service or keep it weird?

4-2 ETA: Update, still waiting on a call back from Brownells almost a week later.

Took it to the range today, I get to add another item to the squawk sheet. Damn near had to bottom out the windage to get the rifle on at 50yards. I’m guessing canted FSB.

They really put out a lemon with this one folks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea how close to originals that is but I really like it a lot tho it is pretty dang purple.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of retro rifles have a purplish hue that usually comes out with age/use/abuse. I’d keep it. I think the purple looks cool.

Edit:

Exhibits A and B

Note slip ring color:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.

I would not accept that. Whoever QC'd that batch should be Brownelled.

If the color in their ad is grey or black, then you should receive grey or black.  

If you decide to sell the upper at some point, you are limiting your market since some people SAY they want a retro purple upper, but few will actually buy one that isn't authentic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You can see it to a lesser extent in these pics I took myself (flash usually needed):

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A whole bunch of new late-80s-to-early-90s rifles came out that way, it's what happens when the dye starts getting used up in the anodizing solution--
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd send that shit back....
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My 556 proto has had reliability problems and after reading multiple accounts of brownells poor customer service in regards to its firearms I’m very reluctant to send it back.

The upper appears to be milled in the wrong place which is allowing the bolt cam pin to rotate at the full rearward travel of the cycle and hang up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up the rifle BNIB second hand so, I’m probably SOL with their customer service, but I’ll call them anyway and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
L is long range, it yields a 375M zero if the standard peep is zeroed to 250m.  

There is no low light peep in an M-16A1.
View Quote

Ah cool, thanks for the correction!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like pre ban Sendra stuff!

I think the warehouse staff at Brownells is all colorblind...
Good luck with customer service, I gave up after 9 or 10 calls.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]
If purchased new from Brownells, I would expect it to be right or offered at a discount. When the color is off on the individual receivers, they sell as blems with some sort of discount. Since you didn't buy it from them, then you are probably stuck with what you have.

The loose aperture is an issue. My guess is either Brownells or Luth-AR (if they are the ones making the sight for Brownells) will offer you some help. The sight shouldn't be loose in either setting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Loose sight is probably a leaf spring issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It's purple, but not a healthy purple.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Update, still waiting on a call back from Brownells almost a week later.

Took it to the range today, I get to add another item to the squawk sheet. Damn near had to bottom out the windage to get the rifle on at 50yards. I’m guessing canted FSB.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A lot of retro rifles have a purplish hue that usually comes out with age/use/abuse. I’d keep it. I think the purple looks cool.

Edit:

Exhibits A and B

Note slip ring color:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/BAE04468-AE27-4A1F-B1B3-AC25157BA96A_jpe-1334441.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/CEE9E471-123D-4918-84F0-16CE9DB23D96_jpe-1334442.JPG
View Quote

Sorry, this is a little off-topic, but that Carbine buffer caught my eye. Do you know what buffer this is?

I have a similar one in my box for a M653 M16A1 Carbine ptroject ...

BTT: I understand that you are not happy as you have bought and paid something else. Anyway I do not think that the look is too bad tough. I almost like it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Did the original owner provide pictures and disclose any issues before the sale?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did the original owner provide pictures and disclose any issues before the sale?
View Quote

It was BNIB when he sold it to me. And I should have asked for a better picture than the one provided. There was one dimly lit picture. He may not of known of the canted sight or rear sight issues.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure you can really say that. You did buy it used. I realize the seller advertised it as BNIB, but when you buy something from a non FFL, which I'm assuming he was, it isn't new anymore. You don't really know if he messed with it or not. There's probably a reason he sold it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I gave up on a close to 100 discrepancy on multiple returns to Brownells due to miss labeled anodized parts. I had two different “managers” working on the issues but both quit returning calls. As a one man operation gunsmith who works relatively cheap the hundred dollars got to be “not worth my time”. Their attention to customer satisfaction isn’t like it used to be. I bow down to you if you get anywhere with them!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Brownells sells their blems at significant discount in store. The early models of the blem lowers were certainly purplish - I saw them there, probably about eight months ago. The uppers did not match and looked more or less grey. The ones I inspected in person sound just like you describe/have pictured - and were sold as BLEMs by Brownells.

My hypothesis? You bought a secondhand Brownells BLEM. The seller misrepresented what they were selling.

Not sure how much culpability Brownells has... I would not be screaming at them and be happy to get any assistance.
The bad guy seems to the POS who sold it to you as BNIB, which it technically was...

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wasn’t aware that purple was a color choice for the BRN line of retro rifles??? As well as the anodizing stains, doesn’t quite look like their pictured rifles.

Also the Rear aperture is loose on the “L” long range setting.

What say the retro hive, call customer service or keep it weird?

4-2 ETA: Update, still waiting on a call back from Brownells almost a week later.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/250352/6459FDAA-7AC5-4E37-8625-0EA56929A23A_jpe-1334374.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/250352/9019B0A2-F89B-4BB0-9C83-A7F7CFA3F12B_jpe-1334375.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/250352/4A3B864E-29E8-4DBD-A637-C7DCEC176768_jpe-1334403.JPG
View Quote

What the fuck is that thing?
Who did the anodizing...Palmetto State Armory?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I picked up the rifle BNIB second hand so, I’m probably SOL with their customer service, but I’ll call them anyway and see what they say.
View Quote

Are the 'BNIB' supposed to look that beat up?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was BNIB when he sold it to me. And I should have asked for a better picture than the one provided. There was one dimly lit picture. He may not of known of the canted sight or rear sight issues.
View Quote

If you don't mind a question, How much did you pay for it?

Paladin
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top