Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2018 7:39:11 AM EDT
I have been collecting parts to build a couple of 601 style ( Not totally correct).
Now I have most of the parts to start the builds.
Just some fun build with some spare parts left over from the past 45+ years.
I saw the ad from Brownells this morning and they had the 601 lower blems on sale at a good price, so I ordered a couple.
If you order any be sure to order the front take down pins for them.

Ron
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Would these slab sides be correct for a 604 build?

Do these have actual blems or are they just the old style greenish grey they where using?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do these have actual blems or are they just the old style greenish grey they where using?
View Quote
Early 604 would be a partial fence or full fence for a late 604.

Partial fence blems are on sale.

Partial Fence Blem

Full fence blems also on sale.

Full fence lower
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
And don’t forget you need an upper with a counter bored front lug to mate with the 601 lower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh wow. You guys will be the death of me. I just ordered 3 to get the $25 off $250.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well this posting just made my bank account decrease.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well this posting just made my bank account decrease.
View Quote
Mine too
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I need to just plan on 10 identical ones and buy accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my blem lowers a couple days ago. They are pretty dark, almost black. But for the price I can't complain. Luckily none of my uppers are battelship grey and more of a darker greenish charcoal. Surprisingly the 601,partial fence,and full fence lower where all the same color. I was expecting some type of deviation. But for the price I could probably send them off and have them color matched to my uppers and still be cheaper than buying a Nodak.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my blem lower last week and assembled it today. The finish looks great. That's not why it's a blem. The take down holes are too high. The upper is a 601 upper I had on an 80% lower and it fit tight on it, as well as an Anderson lower I had it on first. The gap at the front isn't too bad (but visible) but the gap at the back is at least .025", looks like crap, and the upper has enough wiggle in it I'm afraid it might interfere with the bolt cycling. I put one of those rubber wedge things in and it helped some, but the carry handle still rocks side to side.  I don't know whether to try to build up the back of the receiver with epoxy or drill and tap the receiver on either side under the back of the upper for 4-40 set screws. This will tighten up the play but it'll still look like crap with the gap. Any ideas how to fix this POS?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my blem lower last week and assembled it today. The finish looks great. That's not why it's a blem. The take down holes are too high...
...Any ideas how to fix this POS?
View Quote
I would send that one back to Brownells ASAP-Pronto; no question about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would send that one back to Brownells ASAP-Pronto; no question about it.
View Quote
I don't think they'll refund the transfer cost so I'd be out that if they refunded the purchase price, and if they send another I'll have to pay another transfer cost. I'm stuck with this POS. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it usable. I should have known better than to buy this instead of a NODAK lower. Brownell's seems to have trouble getting manufacturing right (barrels, AR10 fsb). You really do get what you pay for.
I used an original 601 upper, Green Mountain 1-14 barrel, original A1 rear sight with repro windage disc, duckbill flash suppressor, Fulton 601 charging handle, gray mag release button and bar, no tick selector, and Brownell's puke green furniture and hoped to build a nice fake 601. It looks alright from 10 feet if there is no light behind to show the gap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The general rule is that a lower receiver replaced by the manufacturer under warranty can be shipped directly to the owner of the original lower receiver. There is no requirement that the replacement lower receiver be sent to a firearms dealer for another NICS check.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote
It was my understanding the replacement receiver had to have the same serial number or another background check had to be done as it was a different weapon. Otherwise it couldn't be traced by the ATF. (edit: Realized later this doesn't make sense as the manufacturer/seller would record it was sent to me and pass this to the ATF.)  I went thru this trying to get a usable M14 receiver from 7.62MM Firearms. After two bad replacement receivers with the same serial number as the original they wanted to send a different numbered replacement and wanted my FFL info as they said it had to go thru the background check. I said h$!! no, I'd already done that with the first one and was out multiple return shipping. I wasn't going to spend another dime. After months of waiting I finally got a usable receiver, sent to me, with the original serial number.
It's a real shame the pins are off. It's a beautiful receiver. Machining and finish are great. It just has this big gap.

I think I'm going to bore the rear lug to 5/16", plug it, and drill and ream the pin hole .025" higher so the upper fits tight on this lower. Problem fixed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could build it as a ANAD (Anniston Arsenal) 70s-era rebuild which were common in the Air Force for what happened to the original 601s.  Basically they rebarrelled to 1/12" and even reutilized the duckbill FH unless it was unserviceable and replaced furniture.  They would DFL the receivers and stamp "ANAD MO/YR" (two digit dates) along the bottom right side of the mag well and usually a white inspector stamp on the front of the magwell.  It also wasn't uncommon to see them replacing the bolt carrier with M16A1 one, so that makes this approach potentially more economical plus DFL most likely hides any weird blems
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could you please PM with Details on this, including what upper is being used?  Images would help.  This is the first instance of this cropping up.  These lowers are only placed on sale as blems due to inconsistent color.

We would be happy to accommodate a return or swap, so include your order number in the PM if that's how you'd like to proceed.
View Quote
I love Brownells, placing an order right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered a Brownells blem M16A1 full fence lower and picked it up a couple days ago. It's a very nice dark gray, and there sure aren't any blems I see.

I have fit it on my 601 clone (USGI 604 upper with a C MP C barrel), and it fits pretty tight with hardly any wobble.

I got it to replace a kinda funky lower on my M16A1 clone that has a USGI upper with a new commercial barrel. It's a little looser on that upper, but that's the one I got it for and I'm well satisfied that it's not sloppy at all, just a little bit of wobble.

Bottom line - I think my Brownells blem was a great deal and looks great and fits fine on my uppers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love Brownells, placing an order right now.
View Quote
I’m not trying to sound like a shill, but it is a fact that Brownells is one of the best companies I have ever done business with. They are my first choice for gun parts. I wholeheartedly recommend them to all of my “gun-buddies”.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my blem receiver a little over a week ago. It is a nice dark gray and blends nice with my later 603 upper. Obviously it's not an EXACT match, but in my 15 years in the Army infantry I don't think I've ever seen one match perfectly. After all these were meant to be tools, not works of art. I'm very happy with the fit, finish, and appearance of mine. I'm sure Brownells will take care of your problem.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Hard to beat a 601 lower at that price, can't wait to see how it looks.

Edit:  Picked up my 601 lower this afternoon, looks great.  Don't care about the color since my  upper is black and need to match both receivers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have been collecting parts to build a couple of 601 style ( Not totally correct).
Now I have most of the parts to start the builds.
Just some fun build with some spare parts left over from the past 45+ years.
I saw the ad from Brownells this morning and they had the 601 lower blems on sale at a good price, so I ordered a couple.
If you order any be sure to order the front take down pins for them.

Ron
View Quote
I finally got over to my dealer to pick up my lowers today.
They look great.
They will work for what I want.
Now to dig out the parts to put them together someday.
Thanks Brownells.

Ron
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Op was your blem green tinted?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Op was your blem green tinted?
View Quote
YES!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top