Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2020 11:59:45 PM EDT
I have a Brownells BRN-601.  The stocks are a very ugly green.  I want to do the two layer correct green over mottled brown and have the under layer wear through in places.  Can someone who has done this walk me through the process, including paints needed?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Brownells BRN-601.  The stocks are a very ugly green.  I want to do the two layer correct green over mottled brown and have the under layer wear through in places.  Can someone who has done this walk me through the process, including paints needed?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote
if you're going to go through the problem to paint, it might be better to use a type D stock.  it'll "feel" better than the repro.  my .02
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

Go to the link, click on "build guide" at the top, scroll down to "faux 601 hand guards. I believe texsquirrel was the author. Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Contact John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. He is the man to do the job. It will cost you a few bucks, but it will be money well spent to get the authentic look you seek.

[email protected]
801-441-2801
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've thought about getting the brown furniture from brownells and do a sort of camo rit dye treatment. That way, you could get the color deeper and give the appearance of mottling in the polymer itself. Then a nice coat of correct green paint and it should wear pretty naturally and look the part.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have contact info for kurtVF so I can obtain 601 paint?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I did... Archive so pics are blurry, will try to post some more.  Sold the stock so getting ready to paint another one - rebuilding my 601

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/601_furniture_paint_job_example___for_SousEstime/123-590066/?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
To all,

Here’s how I did mine. To get to the correct tint of green, I went to Home Depot and bought a quart can of Hunter Green Rustoleum enamel and a can of their Rusty Metal Primer. They are thicker than anything in a spray can.

I mixed 1/2 can of the primer in with 1/2 can of Hunter Green. This proportion gave me a very drab olive green/brown. By mixing 1/2 can of the primer with a full can of the green, I got a very nice dark olive green. You can mix to match your desired shade.

Because Rustoleum is owned by Valspar, I went to the automotive finish supplier and bought some Valspar catalyst to add to the base dark olive green. The catalyst hardens the surface and cures it in short order. The finish is much more resilient than anything in a spray can.

I also used the same process to paint my Brownells Brown colored AR proto stock, grip and front handguard but used only the rusty metal primer. It turned out to be a nice eggshell/semi gloss finish. I also bought a spray can of plastic adhesion promoter and sprayed the plastic parts (after using a grey scotchbrite pad to scuff it up) just prior to applying the finish with my Iwata spray gun.

Lastly, I use 3M 36058 rubbing compound to get the level of sheen I was after. It doesn’t contain abrasives but works great unlike ordinary rubbing compound. Little work to take down the finish.

The final finish sticks better, is more durable, cures damned fast and because Valspar owns Rustoleum, there is no compatibility issues whatsoever. I will never go back to spray cans alone again.

Next post: I describe my Bakelite technique...

Desmo
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To all,

Here's how I did mine. To get to the correct tint of green, I went to Home Depot and bought a quart can of Hunter Green Rustoleum enamel and a can of their Rusty Metal Primer. They are thicker than anything in a spray can.

I mixed 1/2 can of the primer in with 1/2 can of Hunter Green. This proportion gave me a very drab olive green/brown. By mixing 1/2 can of the primer with a full can of the green, I got a very nice dark olive green. You can mix to match your desired shade.

Because Rustoleum is owned by Valspar, I went to the automotive finish supplier and bought some Valspar catalyst to add to the base dark olive green. The catalyst hardens the surface and cures it in short order. The finish is much more resilient than anything in a spray can.

I also used the same process to paint my Brownells Brown colored AR proto stock, grip and front handguard but used only the rusty metal primer. It turned out to be a nice eggshell/semi gloss finish. I also bought a spray can of plastic adhesion promoter and sprayed the plastic parts (after using a grey scotchbrite pad to scuff it up) just prior to applying the finish with my Iwata spray gun.

Lastly, I use 3M 36058 rubbing compound to get the level of sheen I was after. It doesn't contain abrasives but works great unlike ordinary rubbing compound. Little work to take down the finish.

The final finish sticks better, is more durable, cures damned fast and because Valspar owns Rustoleum, there is no compatibility issues whatsoever. I will never go back to spray cans alone again.

Next post: I describe my Bakelite technique...

Desmo
View Quote
Photos of finished pieces
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
JT (Retro Arms Works) stock set he did for me a few years back.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I would send it out to retro arms works. But if you do do it your self. Do your brown paint then you can use a chipping medium, hair spray works to. Its a scale modeling technique where you put a base layer, cover it with chipping medium
And then spray your top layer and when it dries you hit the spots with a brush and water and it chips the paint.
You can choose how heavy or light you want the wear
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Just curious but what dit he charge for it to have the weathered finish?
Cuz ill be sending mine to him soor and he said $75 for the OD
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
According to his list:

$75 - Apply "weathered" 601 green over brown mottled finish (buttstock, handguards, and grip). USPS Priority Mail shipping is additional. I can run around $10-$15 for what you are sending. You wil better served paying John for the work. It is impeccable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's one I did, sitting on my Unc's old web gear:

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's been so long ago I don't remember. I will try looking through my old emails to him to see if I can find you a answer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's been so long ago I don't remember. I will try looking through my old emails to him to see if I can find you a answer.
View Quote
John used to charge $50. He has had to go up on prices on some things. For instance, his P&W is now $50. Still, at $75 for the painting of the stock, handguard, and grip, it is well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

John used to charge $50. He has had to go up on prices on some things. For instance, his P&W is now $50. Still, at $75 for the painting of the stock, handguard, and grip, it is well worth it.
View Quote
John now charges $75 for the stock set. Well worth it
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks great
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I painted a mix of Kona brown and almond paints, masked with paste wax, then sprayed with Testors FS 34079.

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I painted a mix of Kona brown and almond paints, masked with paste wax, then sprayed with Testors FS 34079.

https://imageshack.com/i/pnU2VlKYj

https://imageshack.com/i/pnT5PJSUj
View Quote
That finish looks great!  It truly looks like it chipped in service.  Good job brother!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top