Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2019 5:34:33 AM EDT
I use their CLP for cleaning and then flush with Gunscrubber.
The the moving parts get Breakfree LP .
LP is a hair thicker and was designed for full auto and stainless weapons,
Last the outside gets a Mist of Birchwood Casey Barricade.
The excess gets a wipe with a clean soft rag.

Anybody else like the LP for moving parts?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you go to way too much hassle to clean a firearm. Simplify your life and use a single product to do it all. I've got firearms here that I've had for around 40 years and they all look great. Regular CLP will do anything you want, as will most others. I've been using Ballistol since this past May and am impressed so far.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you go to way too much hassle to clean a firearm. Simplify your life and use a single product to do it all. I've got firearms here that I've had for around 40 years and they all look great. Regular CLP will do anything you want, as will most others. I've been using Ballistol since this past May and am impressed so far.
View Quote
Only thing I don't like about Ballistol is the smell...
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ballistol is about as good as Rem Oil IME, both are watery thin. Plus it smells like ass.

OP, you might look it up but I seem to recall that their (BreakFree) standard CLP had a better 4 ball wear results than LP did. So it's a better lube. Either way, if you like the results keep on rockin on. I'm on a G96/Cherrybalmz kick myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ballistol is about as good as Rem Oil IME, both are watery thin. Plus it smells like ass.

OP, you might look it up but I seem to recall that their (BreakFree) standard CLP had a better 4 ball wear results than LP did. So it's a better lube. Either way, if you like the results keep on rockin on. I'm on a G96/Cherrybalmz kick myself.
View Quote
Ballistol and GI CLP are the pretty much same consistency. CLP smelled like ass to me back in basic training 30 years ago. I got used to the smell. I'm getting used to the liquorice smell of Ballistol now. And for the ease with which it makes cleaning my guns, I'll deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ballistol and GI CLP are the pretty much same consistency. CLP smelled like ass to me back in basic training 30 years ago. I got used to the smell. I'm getting used to the liquorice smell of Ballistol now. And for the ease with which it makes cleaning my guns, I'll deal with it.
View Quote
lol...no. Not even close, unless you're also using the same bottle of CLP you used 40 years ago. If it works to for you then cool, but a lot of advances have been made in the last 40 years. There are better things out there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

lol...no. Not even close, unless you're also using the same bottle of CLP you used 40 years ago. If it works to for you then cool, but a lot of advances have been made in the last 40 years. There are better things out there.
View Quote
Yeah, that's called snake oil. Actually CLP is down to the mid 2000s bottles now. Only have about an oz of the good 80s stuff left
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's called snake oil. Actually CLP is down to the mid 2000s bottles now. Only have about an oz of the good 80s stuff left
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
LP is definitely thicker and lasts longer however, since I took the plunge and got the new Froglube Extreme CLP I'm sold on that and their paste.  The Extreme FL DOES NOT get gummy no matter how long it sets, I use it on tight to reach internals and no issues.  I will say I also use their solvent to clean my firearms as well.  I used regular Breakfree CLP for many years and have a good bit of it left and it is good kit too.  I have no connection to the aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, now since I'm either lying or don't know what I'm talking about, tell me exactly just what your favorite snake oil does that mine doesn't do. Come on offer up the proof. I've seen truck load of wonder lubes come and go over the years, but good old CLP and Ballistol are still here. Guns ain't rusting, guns ain't jamming.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, now since I'm either lying or don't know what I'm talking about, tell me exactly just what your favorite snake oil does that mine doesn't do. Come on offer up the proof. I've seen truck load of wonder lubes come and go over the years, but good old CLP and Ballistol are still here. Guns ain't rusting, guns ain't jamming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Na, not even gonna bother. Your mind is made up, something about new tricks and all? There's plenty of data out there if you bother to even look. Heck, just read the thread right below this one. CLP (BreakFree) Burns off pretty easily, it's well known. I'm assuming your mean BreakFree, correct?

And I never said good ol Ballistol and CLP didn't work. They're fine and plenty of people use them. But there are better options. My PSA rifle also works just fine, but my SR15s are better
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually like Birchwood Casey Synthetic Oil if it is in the squeeze can.  It is not to thin and not to thick.  The stuff in the aerosol can is to thin and seems to evaporate really quickly or something.  It doesn't even smell the same.

I have never been a Birchwood Casey fan but I got some on a whim.

It sucks for corrosion protection compared to other products from my non scientific tests with nails I removed the galvanized finish from.

Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
CLP for rust prevention and general cleaning.  Magnalube G grease for most pistol slides lube, Garand, M1A, etc.  MPRO-7 for most cleaning and degreasing.  JB Bore paste for cleaning copper out of .308. Balistol for black powder.  Brake cleaner for really dirty actions.  Silicone grease and spray copper anti-seize for suppressors.

CLP just can't do it all if you own more than a few guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Every time I bring up their LP , It turns into a conversation about the best CLP.

I was hoping to hear from people that actually use the LP product.

Also be careful mixing Ballistol with Breakfree CLP.
I ended up with a Yellow gel in the lockwork of my revolvers years back.

Both excellant lubes. But don't mix them.

Totally degrease and remove one lube before using the other.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CLP for rust prevention and general cleaning.  Magnalube G grease for most pistol slides lube, Garand, M1A, etc.  MPRO-7 for most cleaning and degreasing.  JB Bore paste for cleaning copper out of .308. Balistol for black powder.  Brake cleaner for really dirty actions.  Silicone grease and spray copper anti-seize for suppressors.

CLP just can't do it all if you own more than a few guns.
View Quote
Wow that is a lots of products to keep track of. I do own a lot of guns, and have owned around 250 in total over the years. I currently have guns ranging from flintlock through modern, and every lubricant/protectant duty is performed by Lubriplate and Ballistol. Before Ballistol, CLP did most everything outside of BP shooting. Dawn does my degreasing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody else like the LP for moving parts?
View Quote
Yeah, I started using BF LP quite a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I've used BF LP for years on all my firearms.  Works great, no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Ill use BF CLP to clean. Ill then wipe off and use BF LP to lube. Good stuff, stays put and does not "dry off" like CLP. Now for my safe queen guns, I have a bottle of Break Free Collector the I use to wipe down about once a year.

Break Free Products is all I use.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of it is snake oil,  use what you like.  I've tried most of em and none worked much better than the other.

I did notice a few things.  Remoil sucks, Breakfree evaporates quicker than others, and you're wasting money paying for more than what a bottle of Mobil1 0w30 costs.

That said, Ive been using Slip for years and like it.  Tried Lucas after seeing Battlefield Vegas reccomending it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most of it is snake oil,  use what you like.  I've tried most of em and none worked much better than the other.

I did notice a few things.  Remoil sucks, Breakfree evaporates quicker than others, and you're wasting money paying for more than what a bottle of Mobil1 0w30 costs.

That said, Ive been using Slip for years and like it.  Tried Lucas after seeing Battlefield Vegas reccomending it.
View Quote
Remoil has it's place. Something like a Ruger Mark 1, 2, or 3 pistol or the trigger group of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Small fine parts, and Rem oil can flush out the dirt and provide lube.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're not going to lube with the CLP why bother to use it at all? it's only an OK cleaner. Why not use a dedicated cleaner that will be faster and more thorough then use the LP for lubing?

If you insist on using the CLP for cleaning, there is no need for flushing with gun Scrubber, just wipe it down and lube with the LP. There won't be enough solvent left to thin the LP or make it less effective.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're not going to lube with the CLP why bother to use it at all? it's only an OK cleaner. Why not use a dedicated cleaner that will be faster and more thorough then use the LP for lubing?

If you insist on using the CLP for cleaning, there is no need for flushing with gun Scrubber, just wipe it down and lube with the LP. There won't be enough solvent left to thin the LP or make it less effective.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]
What do you consider a "Dedicated cleaner".
I have a 1911 with a matt bead blast stainless finish. The front end of the slide would get black carbon on it that was tough to remove.
I tried Hoppes #9 and a few others. Most needed scrubbing.
One day I got a few drops of Breakfree CLP on it and the carbon wiped right off.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What do you consider a "Dedicated cleaner".
I have a 1911 with a matt bead blast stainless finish. The front end of the slide would get black carbon on it that was tough to remove.
I tried Hoppes #9 and a few others. Most needed scrubbing.
One day I got a few drops of Breakfree CLP on it and the carbon wiped right off.
View Quote
A dedicated cleaner is a cleaner only. CLP, Breakfrees, and the ones that are designed to meet the mil-pref, are a lubricant with some sort of solvent in it. Which Hoppe's #9? That is an entire line of over a dozen products.  
A dedicated cleaner is exactly that. Not sure if English isn't your fist language or if you're trying to be a smart ass about it. Try some Mpro-7 or Tru blue cleaner. Hell, Breakfree bore cleaning solvent is pretty much what they add to the LP to make it a CLP.

But if you're little process makes you happy, you do you boo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I use LP on my BCG bearing rails after the interior of the receiver gets a coat of one-shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use LP on my BCG bearing rails after the interior of the receiver gets a coat of one-shot.
View Quote

Watch out some lubes don't play well together.
Some years back I had my revolvers lubed with Breakfree CLP and decide to try Ballistol.
The two lubes formed a yellow Gell mess.
I had to take the sideplates off and flush with Gunscrubber
Then Relube with Breakfree.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top